Smells Like Something(New Mix)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Smells Like Something - Nirvana Challenge

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Jesus Murphy Anthony. 😳

I REALLY loved hearing you belt that shit out. Good on ya buddy! I think any nits i might have on the mix aren't even worth mentioning as i really and truly did not sign in here tonight thinking i would hear you holloring across the void. Really well done man. probably felt good to get the cobwebs dusted off the old wind pipe like that though.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Re: Smells Like Something - Nirvana Challenge

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:11 am Jesus Murphy Anthony. 😳

I REALLY loved hearing you belt that shit out. Good on ya buddy! I think any nits i might have on the mix aren't even worth mentioning as i really and truly did not sign in here tonight thinking i would hear you holloring across the void. Really well done man. probably felt good to get the cobwebs dusted off the old wind pipe like that though.
Thanks WJ
musicturtle

Re: Smells Like Something(New Mix)

Post by musicturtle »

Put a new mix up.

Tamed the verb.
Compressed and leveled out the vocals.
Addressed some of the overall levels of the parts.

Smoother mix altogether I think.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hi, Tony

That's much improved overall! Your vocals sit in a much better place and the bass guitar is taking charge more in the verses.

Listening on the headphones, I think that the mix is leaning quite a lot to the left guitar-wise. Are you able to pan one of the guitar tracks more over to the right?
Now your vocals are at a better level, I think that you could add a bit more verb back into them to seat them perfectly in the mix. Well done!
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I did listen to Mix 1, but Bubba commented before I did. So, Mix 2.

The mix does seem to be leaning to one side. Should just be two hard panned guitars at a similar level, at the moment, it feels like I can barely hear the right side. They also sound quite small and a little fizzy.

Sounds like you have too much reverb/delay on the "hellos" - its like there's a really long tail on it, feels cavernous. Then in the chorus the vocal feels smaller, could do with more reverb but also double tracking. More larynx abuse would be good, but that's probably not for you! haha.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:53 am
They also sound quite small and a little fizzy.
I think they're definitely loud enough, though. Any louder and they'll detract from the drums.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:10 am
They also sound quite small and a little fizzy.
I think they're definitely loud enough, though. Any louder and they'll detract from the drums.
Yeah, its not a volume thing .
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Bubba wrote: ↑Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:20 pm Hi, Tony

That's much improved overall! Your vocals sit in a much better place and the bass guitar is taking charge more in the verses.

Listening on the headphones, I think that the mix is leaning quite a lot to the left guitar-wise. Are you able to pan one of the guitar tracks more over to the right?
Now your vocals are at a better level, I think that you could add a bit more verb back into them to seat them perfectly in the mix. Well done!
+1 on needing some reverb to make them sit right.

I'm also hearing some right leaning overall, but my headphones may also be failing.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

New and probably final mix in OP. I gotta move on to some other stuff.
Bubba wrote: ↑Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:20 pm That's much improved overall! Your vocals sit in a much better place and the bass guitar is taking charge more in the verses.

Thanks Bubba. I centered up the guitars and tweaked the reverb.

The mix does seem to be leaning to one side. Should just be two hard panned guitars at a similar level, at the moment, it feels like I can barely hear the right side. They also sound quite small and a little fizzy.

Sounds like you have too much reverb/delay on the "hellos" - its like there's a really long tail on it, feels cavernous. Then in the chorus the vocal feels smaller, could do with more reverb but also double tracking. More larynx abuse would be good, but that's probably not for you! haha.
Thanks James.

The cavernous "hellos" is on purpose. My personal touch there.

I cut some highs on the EQ on the fuzz guitar. Have to admit I don't work with distorted guitar much any more, so I agree they are a little lacking in tone quality, plus it's direct in through an amp sim, so dialing it in will take some more practice.

I added some saturation to the vocals and think that helps thicken and warm them up some.
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.