IN BLOOM ..... Nirvana cover challenge

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Lt. Bob

IN BLOOM ..... Nirvana cover challenge

Post by Lt. Bob »

Here's mine ..... just linking to main thread:
viewtopic.php?p=118133#p118133
JD01

Re: IN BLOOM ..... Nirvana cover challenge

Post by JD01 »

This is really good Bob, you've really stuck to the most interesting bit of the song - the verse bassline - with the chromatic notes in it, and then enjoyed yourself way more elsewhere.

Your guitar solo is excellent and it really sounds like something that Nirvana may have done.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:25 am This is really good Bob, you've really stuck to the most interesting bit of the song - the verse bassline - with the chromatic notes in it, and then enjoyed yourself way more elsewhere.

Your guitar solo is excellent and it really sounds like something that Nirvana may have done.
thank you man ..... the solo is my favorite part of it actually so I appreciate that
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:11 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:25 am This is really good Bob, you've really stuck to the most interesting bit of the song - the verse bassline - with the chromatic notes in it, and then enjoyed yourself way more elsewhere.

thank you man ..... the solo is my favorite part of it actually so I appreciate that
Yeah, its got that slightly chaotic feel that a lot of Nirvana guitar solos have, the In Bloom solo being a good example.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Delightful!

It feels like Jimmy Buffet reached Rock and Roll Heaven and immediately insisted Cobain needed to jam with him!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 4:22 pm Delightful!

It feels like Jimmy Buffet reached Rock and Roll Heaven and immediately insisted Cobain needed to jam with him!
:smiles:

Thank you
I was fairly happy with it .... kinda wish I'd have done it a step up

I am a bit surprised no one is outraged by me adding lyrics
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Cobain was notorious for half-assedly throwing lyrics together right before debuting new songs, so I don't think anyone around here considers the originals all that sacred!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:38 am Cobain was notorious for half-assedly throwing lyrics together right before debuting new songs, so I don't think anyone around here considers the originals all that sacred!
I'll not have the man who authored the immortal and deeply meaningful line "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido" and successfully integrated it into one of big hits of the 90s so cruelly maligned... :wink:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:10 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:38 am Cobain was notorious for half-assedly throwing lyrics together right before debuting new songs, so I don't think anyone around here considers the originals all that sacred!
I'll not have the man who authored the immortal and deeply meaningful line "A mulatto, an albino, a mosquito, my libido" and successfully integrated it into one of big hits of the 90s so cruelly maligned... :wink:
:lollers: :lollers2:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Bubba wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 am This is a great concept for the song and you've realised it mostly really well. Only one thing I'm not keen on, and that's the distorted tom-tom reverb. Was that an artistic choice? I'm in full agreement about the guitar solo - fantastic.
I wrote this in the other thread....

Bubs
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bubba wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:40 am
Bubba wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:39 am This is a great concept for the song and you've realised it mostly really well. Only one thing I'm not keen on, and that's the distorted tom-tom reverb. Was that an artistic choice? I'm in full agreement about the guitar solo - fantastic.
I wrote this in the other thread....

Bubs
thanks man .... I responded in the other thread.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Sorry I'm late chiming in, but this is great @Lt. Bob . I disagree that your guitar solo sounds like something Nirvana would have done. It's way better. And I love your lyrical twist. The recording itself is pristine, as far as I can hear. Great work man!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

paulman wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:59 pm Sorry I'm late chiming in, but this is great @Lt. Bob . I disagree that your guitar solo sounds like something Nirvana would have done. It's way better. And I love your lyrical twist. The recording itself is pristine, as far as I can hear. Great work man!
oh ......... thank you man ...... that's nice to hear!

Ya' know that solo .......... that was actually a case of a sound inspiring me to play what I played.

I had my Boss SY-1 synth pedal, ... set the regular guitar sound and the synth about equal in volume and ran it thru the hi gain channel of my Mark V.
It was wonderful .... I hit a couple of notes, it just screamed , I said ooh and then went for it.
And the very first thing that came out would have been the one except for a slight glitch at the end of it.
That was just the second time I played any lead over it .... didn't even practice any .... just pressed record and went ...... the sound got me excited really pumped me up.

:smiles:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.