Do I need a Jaguar?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Do I need a Jaguar?

Post by Lt. Bob »

I've never had one but for some reason I find myself sorta wanting one.
I would get a Fender, the CV 70's Squire version gets a lot of love in reviews so that's what I'd do.

OTOH I have plenty of guitars so is a Jag truly something different that I should have in my stable?

Or should I spend the money of a better amp for the living room stereo?
CeeBee

Re: Do I need a Jaguar?

Post by CeeBee »

Save it for your new roof.
Cheers
Chris
my music
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:10 pm I've never had one but for some reason I find myself sorta wanting one.
I would get a Fender, the CV 70's Squire version gets a lot of love in reviews so that's what I'd do.

OTOH I have plenty of guitars so is a Jag truly something different that I should have in my stable?

A guitar that Lt. Bob has never owned? This is a shocking oversight that should be rectified ASAP.

Think it looks particularly nice in Sunburst with the block inlays:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Jags > any other Fender, so yeah.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CeeBee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:55 am Save it for your new roof.
That's a separate issue .... that'll come out of the 401k.

Roof will cost <25k for shingles and not sure how much more for metal.
1st roofer said 35k but second roofer ( who Debi's realtor friend says is the ONLY one they use ) says metal saves so much labor that it shouldn't cost that much more .......... we'll see.

But if I don't get the Jag I'm getting an Oculus.

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:08 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:10 pm I've never had one but for some reason I find myself sorta wanting one.

A guitar that Lt. Bob has never owned? This is a shocking oversight that should be rectified ASAP.

Think it looks particularly nice in Sunburst with the block inlays:

I've never cared for a sunburst even though I had a sunburst strat around '74 or so.

The only burst that ever made me go ooh was a '58 paul someone had around that same time and it had a gorgeous cherry burst .... absolutely stunning .... so when we built gits I always tried to get Randy to do them in a cherry burst.
But the 3 color burst leaves me 'meh' and even most cherry bursts don't looks a good as that paul did.

........ seafoam green or daphne blue

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... ar&index=1
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:25 am Jags > any other Fender, so yeah.
elaborate please ..... I put great value to your opinion on such things.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:58 am elaborate please ..... I put great value to your opinion on such things.
Well...IMO...Jags surf. They have an actually useful vibrato, good single coils, and lots of tone options and combinations. Short scale super easy to play. They give you the sounds of a Fender guitar without having to be a boring ass tele or strat.

Also, they look very cool. They look finished. They have sexy swoops and curves and are offset, unlike the boat paddle looking tele and they don't look as generic as a strat.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:17 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:58 am elaborate please ..... I put great value to your opinion on such things.
Well...IMO...Jags surf. They have an actually useful vibrato, good single coils, and lots of tone options and combinations. Short scale super easy to play. They give you the sounds of a Fender guitar without having to be a boring ass tele or strat.

Also, they look very cool. They look finished. They have sexy swoops and curves and are offset, unlike the boat paddle looking tele and they don't look as generic as a strat.
yeah .... they look great and were one of the earliest gits I lusted for back in Junior High ....
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:29 am
yeah .... they look great and were one of the earliest gits I lusted for back in Junior High ....
A Jaguar is honestly the only Fender guitar I'd even remotely consider buying for myself.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I have owned one for ten years, and I think it might be my most-recorded guitar.

Downsides:

It's not a pleasant guitar to play, in my opinion. If you put heavy-enough gauge strings on it so that you have enough tension on the short scale, then it feels weird and a bit woody. The 7.25" fingerboard radius chokes out if you want to do heavy bends high up the neck. The trem is very idiosyncratic and is unlikely to stay in tune if you do much more than gentle wiggling. The bridge is, frankly, fucking shit. It's made out of sawn-off chunks of threaded bar and is a sick joke, considering the Jag was the most expensive model they produced at the time. The strings pop out of the grooves if you play hard. It must be replaced with a Mustang bridge.

The guitar has a very distinctive tone, though - which I absolutely love in the right circumstance.

I will answer any questions that you have.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bubba wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:01 pm I have owned one for ten years, and I think it might be my most-recorded guitar.

Downsides:

It's not a pleasant guitar to play, in my opinion. If you put heavy-enough gauge strings on it so that you have enough tension on the short scale, then it feels weird and a bit woody. The 7.25" fingerboard radius chokes out if you want to do heavy bends high up the neck. The trem is very idiosyncratic and is unlikely to stay in tune if you do much more than gentle wiggling. The bridge is, frankly, fucking shit. It's made out of sawn-off chunks of threaded bar and is a sick joke, considering the Jag was the most expensive model they produced at the time. The strings pop out of the grooves if you play hard. It must be replaced with a Mustang bridge.

The guitar has a very distinctive tone, though - which I absolutely love in the right circumstance.

I will answer any questions that you have.
cool ....
I hate 7.25" radius and actually that'd be a dealbreaker for me.

But the Squier Classic '60s and '70s have a 9.5" radius .... that's still a little tighter than I like but acceptable.

I like fairly flat fretboards ( 12" ) but a 9.5" is doable for me ..... I'd have to have the action high cause bending is a big part of my playing although a Jag might tend to drive a different style of playing which would be the point.
But I can live with 9.5"

The difference between the 60's and 70's is just looks I believe and if so I'd want the 60's model cause the headstock is painted to match the body ....... ooooooo :smiles:

And the bridge is different .... I know the horrible saddles you're talking about .... about the worst ever ...... but one of the youtubes mentioned they had changed the saddles to a design that works and if you look, they're definitely way different than the saddles you have.

I like the distinctive tone thing ..... .... not just another tele/strat sound?
I wouldn't want just another strat or tele sound ..... I already have those.

And it comes with 9-42s which I can't believe don't feel like rubber bands on a 24" scale.
I'd immediately change them to 11-52s at least.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 56+MFWPDPT

I like this colour more than the blue...

I've always shied away from them because of all the switches - not so much the complexity, but because in the 2020s there are probably better ways of achieving that end than a multitude of black plastic sliding switches. Not to mention better looking ways. But electric guitars and modernity aren't always travel companions. Obviously such considerations don't bother the legions of Jag owners.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:12 pm https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 56+MFWPDPT

I like this colour more than the blue...

I've always shied away from them because of all the switches - not so much the complexity, but because in the 2020s there are probably better ways of achieving that end than a multitude of black plastic sliding switches. Not to mention better looking ways. But electric guitars and modernity aren't always travel companions. Obviously such considerations don't bother the legions of Jag owners.
I almost got it in that color cause last night MF had that one for $379 but I wanted to ponder on it and today it's 459 .... pisser.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'd love to have a Jag. I've been playing my old Jassmaster so I'm familiar with the bridge design. Strangely enough, it didn't bother me a lot. I had 11s on it and the strings do want to jump their assigned threads. That stopped when I moved to 12s, as did any tuning instability. I started losing pieces off of the bridge and I didn't want to be the first guy in 60 years to lose pieces off of this old thing. So I changed it for a Mastery and that's a pretty badass bridge. It's just kinda expensive. Aside from the bridge, trem, and overall shape, I don't think there's anything else the Jazz has in common with the Jag so that's about all I've got. I hope you find the right one for you!

I've been a member of a jazz/Jag group on Facebook forever, but I muted it a while back because it became all buy/sell/trade instead of q&a and discussion. Trying to remember the reissue/series that everybody there loved. I'll post it here if I can find it.

*Edit* it was the American Vintage Reissue series that people were in love with. But those are more in the $2k range from what I'm seeing. That's a whole other ballpark of cost.
Last edited by Tadpui on Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Jag or Jazzmaster appeal to me on a 1000 levels.
Mainly because of Elvis Costello I think.
I'd love one but, as you've heard, whatever I do is the sonic equiv of a colour blind kid with a mixed pack of crayons.
Oddly I'm not a fan of sunburst/tobacco bust or any burst but most of my guitars n basses are just that...I think I have a problems with colour which is why I paint mono-chromatically based on burnt umber.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:35 pm Jag or Jazzmaster appeal to me on a 1000 levels.
and actually I've looked at Jazzmasters too BUT one of the things I like about the Jag is the switching .... doesn't seem complex to me.
And the Jazzmaster is 25.5" scale so it'd just be another 25.5 with different p'ups essentially.
I'm kinda intrigued by the 24" scale though I've said in the past I don't really like 24.75" scale so I might not like it.
But I'm thinking it could be different enough to be inspiring
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:10 pm But I'm thinking it could be different enough to be inspiring
That's the ticket.
If I'm in a rut I change my go to guitar - it usually makes a difference - particularly if I go from 6 to 12.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:21 pm I know the horrible saddles you're talking about .... about the worst ever ...... but one of the youtubes mentioned they had changed the saddles to a design that works and if you look, they're definitely way different than the saddles you have.
Yes, the Fender Mustang is another short-scale guitar that shares some design elements, the rocking bridge design being one of them. The bridge is identical in all respects but the saddles, which are great. The only thing you sacrifice is individual string height adjustment, but you just don't need it if your saddles match your fingerboard radius. I don't see people with tune-o-matics complaining! It was the first thing I swapped when I got my Jag.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

ah .... so they stuck a Mustang bridge on it .... cool.

A quick look says the Mustang is also 24" scale ..... I thought it was even shorter ..... I'm not finding a shorter scale ..... I thought Fender at one point had something super short .... like 22.75" or so ...... hmmmm
'
Anyways ...... I think I need a Jag ..... now its just pickingh one.
""
Gonna be a Squier Classic Vintage 70's I think.
While I like the headstock painted to match the body on the 60's, it has dots and no neck binding while the 70's has the block inlays and binding ...... so I think that one.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I just looked them up on Sweetwater, and they look really cool. Squier has come a long ways, and those look legit and have great reviews.