Do I need a Jaguar?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Do I need a Jaguar?

Post by JD01 »

I really liked the look, feel and playability of my Mustang. It just didn't sound very good.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Do it. get the Jag! Those are pretty cool guitars! I used to be in a band with a guy who's sister had a Jag and she'd let us jam with it and i quite liked how it sounded and felt. I say go for it.
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:58 am
CeeBee wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:55 am Save it for your new roof.
That's a separate issue .... that'll come out of the 401k.

Roof will cost <25k for shingles and not sure how much more for metal.
1st roofer said 35k but second roofer ( who Debi's realtor friend says is the ONLY one they use ) says metal saves so much labor that it shouldn't cost that much more .......... we'll see.
Ouch. I won't tell you what we paid to have a new roof put on, repairs done and extras to get us up to code up here in 2018 in the dead of winter. Your Quotes numbers seems scary high man. I can only assume inflation accounts for some % of it and possibly extra care and attention to installation given how humid and prone to hurricanes you are? Or maybe your house is big big? Do they break down the quotes for you? Are the installers unionized or something?

That is pretty wild. Even my moms place we did the same year which is much bigger than my house here and has multiple stories and more intricate peaks and valleys still rings in substantially lower than your lowest quite.

That is mental.

DEFINITELY BUY THE GUITAR BEFORE YOU DO YOUR ROOF LT.BOOB!!!! :lollers: :lollers:
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

When did this become a roofing thread? :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:13 pm I just looked them up on Sweetwater, and they look really cool. Squier has come a long ways, and those look legit and have great reviews.
As Bob and I were saying in another thread. EVERYTHING on the cheap side has come a long way. I just bought a Chickenbacker for $270. It’s amazing for the price except it needs a little fret work done. That was like done in some cheap factory probably utilizing technology and practices that just didn’t exist 20 years ago for those kinds of costs.

I remember some black knockoff strat my parents got for the equivalent of $250 back in 2005. It was utter garbage. Turned me off from playing for a while.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Wifey and I are out for some Friday beers. We've been fantasizing about decor in the house-to-be. After 1.5 beers she has authorized this beauty, as long as I hang it in the stairwell that leads down to my studio.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 0000002000

Honestly I think I need to feed her a couple more beers and I'll end up with a late 50s burst Les Paul :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:00 pm Wifey and I are out for some Friday beers. We've been fantasizing about decor in the house-to-be. After 1.5 beers she has authorized this beauty, as long as I hang it in the stairwell that leads down to my studio.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars ... 0000002000

Honestly I think I need to feed her a couple more beers and I'll end up with a late 50s burst Les Paul :D
:lollers2: :lollers2: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:00 pm

But no house to put it in... :)

I know some people like it, but I'm not a fan of the painted headstock thing. :frown:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:31 pm But no house to put it in... :)

I know some people like it, but I'm not a fan of the painted headstock thing. :frown:
Yeah, a 50s burst LP would put more than a slight dent in the house budget. Maybe we can swing a cardboard house around the Gibson.

For the most part, I agree about a painted headstock. But there's something about it on the early/mid 60s Fenders that makes it work. I can't quantify it. I hate it on almost everything else, but a Jag/Jazz in a custom shop color from that era makes it OK with me for some reason.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well I like the painted headstock BUT the 60's version that has that also only had dot inlays and no binding on the neck>
I want the binding and block inlays more than a painted headstock so I'll go with the 70's
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:40 pm but a Jag/Jazz in a custom shop color from that era makes it OK with me for some reason.
That's what it is. Sometimes when something just is how it is and how it's supposed to be, that makes it okay. Body color headstocks on those old Fenders are a thing of beauty.

Like for me...it's gold hardware. I hate it on pretty much everything. But on a LP Custom it's supposed to be there so I'm good with it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Fenders with gold hardware look pretty grim.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:47 pm I'm not finding a shorter scale ..... I thought Fender at one point had something super short .... like 22.75" or so ...... hmmmm
'
From memory the 22.75 scale length were only done in the fender 3/4 and mini range also the squire. Could be wrong but I've never seen a 22.75 Jag or other similar from Fender, quite a few mini's though which oddly are quite cool to play.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:30 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:47 pm I'm not finding a shorter scale ..... I thought Fender at one point had something super short .... like 22.75" or so ...... hmmmm
'
From memory the 22.75 scale length were only done in the fender 3/4 and mini range also the squire. Could be wrong but I've never seen a 22.75 Jag or other similar from Fender, quite a few mini's though which oddly are quite cool to play.
I was sorta thinking the Duosonic .... but i guess it's 24"
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:17 pm
muttley wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:30 am

I was sorta thinking the Duosonic .... but i guess it's 24"
Ah, maybe they did a 22.75. Not sure. There were a lot of MiM models floating about a few years back. I don't think I ever saw one but you could be right.