"Strangle You" Bubba's Nevermind challenge piece

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Bubba

"Strangle You" Bubba's Nevermind challenge piece

Post by Bubba »

Hi Gang - this is my cover of Drain You, and it's very much meant to be a pastiche piece. I fear that only Ray here will "get it", though!
Strangle You.mp3

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Bubba on Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Re: "Strangle You" Bubba's Nevermind challenge piece

Post by JD01 »

Jesus's holy bollocks. What an utter fiasco. Sounds like Ian Dury discovered the arpeggiator button on his keyboard and someone described a Nirvana song to him via good translate from Sentinelese.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That was a wild ride!

So in my mind, the gold standard for this song is actually Foxy Shazam. (Ironically, it's also the gold standard for Foxy Shazam songs; I don't like anything else they've done). I'm glad you managed to find a similar, unhinged energy for your take, Bubba!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HAHAH!! This is great. Just take it and run with it Bubbs LOL! I don't get whatever reference it is that you are putting out there but i quite enjoyed the banter bits!!

It is a proper polished mix too Bubba i got absolutely nothing to offer.

Man everyone has really done a super great job on these things. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:13 pm Jesus's holy bollocks. What an utter fiasco. Sounds like Ian Dury discovered the arpeggiator button on his keyboard and someone described a Nirvana song to him via good translate from Sentinelese.
I knew you would love it, unconditionally, like a ginger step-child. :lollers2:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:49 pm That was a wild ride!

So in my mind, the gold standard for this song is actually Foxy Shazam. (Ironically, it's also the gold standard for Foxy Shazam songs; I don't like anything else they've done). I'm glad you managed to find a similar, unhinged energy for your take, Bubba!
Thanks, Steve. Unhinged is good :smug: . This cover is meant to be, how I imagine my favourite band of the late 70s, the Stranglers, would have covered it. J.D.s reaction is exactly the same as my mum's was, when she first heard their cover of "Walk On By". So in that respect, I think I've nailed my self-imposed brief. :biggrin:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:48 pm HAHAH!! This is great. Just take it and run with it Bubbs LOL! I don't get whatever reference it is that you are putting out there but i quite enjoyed the banter bits!!

It is a proper polished mix too Bubba i got absolutely nothing to offer.

Man everyone has really done a super great job on these things. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Thanks, Shan. The banter part is referencing the Stranglers' "Live X-Cert" L.P. Where somebody shouts out "wanker" just before they start a song. So they stop the song and Hugh Cornwell has a go at the miscreant. :biggrin:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Bubba wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:06 pm This cover is meant to be, how I imagine my favourite band of the late 70s, the Stranglers, would have covered it.
Lol! That makes sense.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:02 pm
JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:13 pm Jesus's holy bollocks. What an utter fiasco. Sounds like Ian Dury discovered the arpeggiator button on his keyboard and someone described a Nirvana song to him via good translate from Sentinelese.
I knew you would love it, unconditionally, like a ginger step-child. :lollers2:
I think I'll do a Stranglers cover in the style of modern autotuned pop just to offend you.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Yeah, this is great. I’m totally clueless about the band you’re basing it on, but I love the colors and textures you’ve used to make a Nirvana song much more interesting. I hope I can do as good a job of that with mine.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

awesome actually!

First on all these challenge submissions I have to go listen to the original first because I simply have never listened to this album even once.
So I'm totally unfamiliar with the songs which might give me an advantage since I have no pre-conceived expectations.

So far I've liked ever single submission better than the Nirvana version and that's the case here too.

This is pretty fucking bad-ass .... mix is really good ..... I absolutely love the instrumentation and it's all well done.

Really nice bubba .... it's good to hear some music from you.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:36 pm awesome actually!

First on all these challenge submissions I have to go listen to the original first because I simply have never listened to this album even once.
So I'm totally unfamiliar with the songs which might give me an advantage since I have no pre-conceived expectations.

So far I've liked ever single submission better than the Nirvana version and that's the case here too.

This is pretty fucking bad-ass .... mix is really good ..... I absolutely love the instrumentation and it's all well done.

Many thanks, Bob. I've really enjoyed this challenge. How is yours coming along? I think In Bloom is my favourite off the album.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bubba wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:12 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:36 pm awesome actually!

Many thanks, Bob. I've really enjoyed this challenge. How is yours coming along? I think In Bloom is my favourite off the album.
I'm working on the drums .... prolly next week before I get past that.

I have a plan .... I'm just such a busy old guy that my reaction time is measured in weeks. :lollers:
Ya' know I just finished a 6 week spell of 7 days a week gigging and even though that's done I never have less than 3 gigs a week.

But I'ma trudging along the tundra .... mile after mile ...... so probably another week, maybe two.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

paulman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:34 pm Yeah, this is great. I’m totally clueless about the band you’re basing it on, but I love the colors and textures you’ve used to make a Nirvana song much more interesting. I hope I can do as good a job of that with mine.
Thanks, Paulman. Whoever said "do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life" had it right.

Good luck!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ha, nice work, very Stranglerish... not sure what ol' Kurt would make of it. :)

Drain You is actually one of my least favourite Nirvana songs of those that I've heard, but your version is eminently more listenable. :like:

Interestingly, having to relisten to all these Nirvana songs, I realise I don't really miss them at all. :eep:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ab Fab! The Cornwell response probably sets the scene for Lou Reed's banter on Take No Prisoners Live .
The ghost of the Stranglers continues to play & record while the spirit has moved to some geezer's house in Leeds where he does their stuff better.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I agree with Armi that this was one of my least favorite songs when I listened to the album, but you managed to make it so much more interesting. I think you did a great job adding your own color to it and in the process, made it a much cooler song. Nice work, man!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening to this again this morning (now I've got over my initial horror). Its a fucking masterpiece.

You've even managed to get a few grohlisms into the drums (particularly after the chorus before the 2nd verse).
The bass sound is great - assuming that this is your 70s bass?

This was always one of my favourite tunes off the album, I used to play it in a band in the 90s. Was good fun winding the singer up - I'd play the first chord for him to start singing and then I'd just stop so he'd end up doing the intro acapella.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:49 am Listening to this again this morning (now I've got over my initial horror). Its a fucking masterpiece.
That's good. I thought for a while there one of us was going to have to give you a hug... :lollers:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:49 am Listening to this again this morning (now I've got over my initial horror). Its a fucking masterpiece.

You've even managed to get a few grohlisms into the drums (particularly after the chorus before the 2nd verse).
The bass sound is great - assuming that this is your 70s bass?

This was always one of my favourite tunes off the album, I used to play it in a band in the 90s. Was good fun winding the singer up - I'd play the first chord for him to start singing and then I'd just stop so he'd end up doing the intro acapella.
Why, thank you, James! I realise it must've been an affront to any serious Nirvana fan :lollers:

Yes, it's my 70s bass. It's weird, I just play it, and the Stranglers come out of it. It must be possessed. :cuckoo: :crazy: