I need a new Cab.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

I need a new Cab.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That's pretty much it.

My gut is telling me that a 2x12 is likely the very realistic reality based common sense you-have-a-child-don't-take-food-out-of-his-mouth choice. But my inner maybe-someday-i'll-jam-with-real-humans-again-lol demons are saying get a 4x12. :happytrees:

I am going to start test driving a few cabs locally that i can rent, but if anyone else has any suggestions for me to look into i'm all ears.

I will likely start with these as they are in stock and rentable.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/20607/Guit ... abinet.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/7775/Guita ... xt-Cab.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/127410/Gui ... abinet.htm
https://www.long-mcquade.com/22917/Guit ... peaker.htm

Ok. Thanks.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: I need a new Cab.

Post by Greg_L »

Goddamn them bitches are expensive.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'd be curious to see how much one of these would cost to ship to Canada. It might take a year and cost $300 but you'd still be ahead :D

https://www.thomannmusic.com/harley_ben ... rtical.htm
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:50 pm I'd be curious to see how much one of these would cost to ship to Canada. It might take a year and cost $300 but you'd still be ahead :D

nos
shit.
Maybe check places that just build cabs and put your own drivers in
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 pm That's pretty much it.

My gut is telling me that a 2x12 is likely the very realistic reality based common sense you-have-a-child-don't-take-food-out-of-his-mouth choice. But my inner maybe-someday-i'll-jam-with-real-humans-again-lol demons are saying get a 4x12. :happytrees:

Time the 'mari got hisself a job and started earning so you don't have to worry about minor matters of cost, gnome sayin'? :cool:

(oh and don't get a 4 x 12 - by the time you get around to playing with humans again you'll be too old to move the damn thing. :biggrin:)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:50 pm I'd be curious to see how much one of these would cost to ship to Canada. It might take a year and cost $300 but you'd still be ahead :D

We have the technology...
Screenshot 2023-08-17 121848.jpg
:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Sweet Korean Jesus!

HB makes cabs!! 🤣🤣 Can't beat that price either!!! That is mental. I might see if i can find a few video reviews. As much of a chore as that is.

I guess the cabs at L&M are kinda pricey. But at least i can rent them and demo them for pretty cheap to see what ones I like the gooderest. They also have a financing options lol.

I do like the sound of a 300 dollar 2x12.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:49 pm

We have the technology...

Screenshot 2023-08-17 121848.jpg

:wink:
The shipping price seems fair. that 7-14 days should be multiplied by about three though. Nothing ever get's here on time. ever.

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:44 pm Time the 'mari got hisself a job and started earning so you don't have to worry about minor matters of cost, gnome sayin'? :cool:
He and i just had this chat on the weekend. He's going ot be shovelling snow with me for extra loonies this winter if i have any say in the matter.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:27 am Sweet Korean Jesus!

HB makes cabs!! 🤣🤣 Can't beat that price either!!! That is mental. I might see if i can find a few video reviews. As much of a chore as that is.

I guess the cabs at L&M are kinda pricey. But at least i can rent them and demo them for pretty cheap to see what ones I like the gooderest. They also have a financing options lol.

I've got the HB 2x12 with V30s. Had it for years. The square cab, not the slant cab but I don't suppose that makes much of a difference
paulman

Post by paulman »

That HB is what I’d be checking out. A cabinet is the only thing I didn’t have to buy when I went back to analog in 2020. I went 20 or so years using only Line6, but I still lugged around my Marshall Valvestate head and cabinet everywhere I moved. The cabinet became an end table. The head needs repair, but the cabinet is just fine and it works great with the little 20 watt Joyo amps that I use (a JCM800 clone and a Blues Junior clone).
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:55 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:27 am Sweet Korean Jesus!

I've got the HB 2x12 with V30s. Had it for years. The square cab, not the slant cab but I don't suppose that makes much of a difference
Weird. I thought your Cab was the H&K 2x12?

I watched a cab shoot out last night between an Orange 2x12 w V30 and the HB 2x12 and there was some major tonal differences in overdriven / high gain stuff. HOWEVER!!! The guy doing the vid was a bit of turd, no idea how accurate his mic set up was he didn't show it, he was using a horrible Line6 head with the most amateur metal sounding tone so i had to factor that in but all in all the shoot out didn't really go over well for the HB. (I've also learned to not trust anyone with a manbun so.... grain of salt with this one)

I watched Phil McKnights video review of the HB2x12 and it wasn't awful. I could live with that for sure. Again though, we're never quite sure what post processing turd polish these you tube guys put on these things right to help sell their reviews for more free shit later on.

I guess the big important part here is that i'd have a snowballs chance in hell at getting V30's installed in a cab at that price point anywhere else so it might be a no brainer.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:33 pm
I guess the big important part here is that i'd have a snowballs chance in hell at getting V30's installed in a cab at that price point anywhere else so it might be a no brainer.
Do you have to have V30s though? I mean they're great for shreddy nu-metal tones but there's more, and probably better, speakers out there.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:41 pm
Do you have to have V30s though? I mean they're great for shreddy nu-metal tones but there's more, and probably better, speakers out there.
V30's are what i know, I suppose. Comfort zone. I'm open to suggestions though of course. Part of the reason why i am asking.

to be honest i was half considering getting a cheaper 2x12 carcass off of reverb and loading it with one V30 and then trial and error other speakers in the other side. I don't know what that would produce but that was sort of one thought i had. Thereby retaining a bit of my comfort zone with the V30 and also having the freedom to muck around with other speakers. My hang up and hesitancy there is if that is even a thing i can do? Meaning can i mix and match speakers in a cab like that or do they have to be matched sets or if i keep a V30 in a cab am i then limited to only speakers that match it's out put?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:55 am
Weird. I thought your Cab was the H&K 2x12?

I watched a cab shoot out last night between an Orange 2x12 w V30 and the HB 2x12 and there was some major tonal differences in overdriven / high gain stuff. HOWEVER!!! The guy doing the vid was a bit of turd, no idea how accurate his mic set up was he didn't show it, he was using a horrible Line6 head with the most amateur metal sounding tone so i had to factor that in but all in all the shoot out didn't really go over well for the HB. (I've also learned to not trust anyone with a manbun so.... grain of salt with this one)

I watched Phil McKnights video review of the HB2x12 and it wasn't awful. I could live with that for sure. Again though, we're never quite sure what post processing turd polish these you tube guys put on these things right to help sell their reviews for more free shit later on.

Shan, have you ever listened to my guitar sound and thought "ah, OK, but shame about the sound of that cab"?

Phil McKnight plays out of tune guitars and doesn't seem to notice.

The speakers are fine, I will replace one just for variety when I get around to it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:14 pm Shan, have you ever listened to my guitar sound and thought "ah, OK, but shame about the sound of that cab"?

Phil McKnight plays out of tune guitars and doesn't seem to notice.

The speakers are fine, I will replace one just for variety when I get around to it.
I honestly thought your Cab was an Huges & Kettner? had no idea it was a Harley Benton until just last night. :confused: not sure how that one got in my memeory banks but that is how it was stored !!!

I generally hate going to youtube for gear reviews and McNight Et Al are the reasons why but if you watched the other review i linked to, McNight was a welcome two cents. :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Think Fricker included it in a cab shootout. At least he's a fairly legit recording engineer.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Observations:

I'm kinda in the "a cab's a cab" tent IF the internal volume is the same.
Yes, a cheaper cab might have rattles ..... I can fix that.
And certain types of cabs have thin-ish walls meant to resonate which will affect the sound.
But generally nowadays cabs are built to be inert.
So to me any cab of similar dimensions will sound similar.

I really like the V30 BUT they are a bit spikey.
That said, I have a V30 in the british 1x12 cab I use with gregs amps and it sounds very good.

As for mixing two speaker types ..... for recording that's not a bad idea .... two different speakers gives options.
For live what will happen is the more efficient of the two will dominate the sound and often even drown out the softer driver.
So on stage you'll really only hear the one speaker but with a slanted top, seems you could put the lower output driver up top and you'd hear it.

But getting something like this isn't just about sound is it?
You want to get something you're excited about.

Personally I'd buy a cab from a cab company and load it myself unless you're really wanting the looks of one of the majors there.
But at say, Mojo Tone, you can customize your cabs and get them unique and personal ........ like mine:
(not meaning you want this type of cab ... just showing how good they can look.)
And there's lots of cab building companies.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You know how wood works, just build your own.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:41 pm You know how wood works, just build your own.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ or that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That spares up a lot of money for drivers.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I like the looks of those Mojo Tone cabs, @Lt. Bob. Baltic birch ply, lots of options. Looks pretty cool!

I would be a little afraid of QA/QC issues with the Harley Bentons. I mean, that price is almost irresistible. But I have to wonder if they'd shake themselves to pieces after a while.

Some day I'm going to get a 2x12 to play my Marshall through so I'll have an alternative to my 4x10 cabs. But alas, that's another thing that'll have to wait until after we get our house all done with.