I need a new Cab.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Re: I need a new Cab.

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm
I would be a little afraid of QA/QC issues with the Harley Bentons. I mean, that price is almost irresistible. But I have to wonder if they'd shake themselves to pieces after a while.
that's what wood glue's for
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm But I have to wonder if they'd shake themselves to pieces after a while.
I'm pretty sure they will. I have a Seismic 2x12 cab I got off Amazon. They're the same thing as the Harley Benton cheapo cabs. It was like $189 empty. It looks nice, it's probably okay for home use, but I'd never take this thing out the house.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Marshall 1960AV cabinet. Just marvellous, but at the moment I have no band to take it out with.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:37 pm I like the looks of those Mojo Tone cabs, @Lt. Bob. Baltic birch ply, lots of options. Looks pretty cool!

I would be a little afraid of QA/QC issues with the Harley Bentons. I mean, that price is almost irresistible. But I have to wonder if they'd shake themselves to pieces after a while.

Some day I'm going to get a 2x12 to play my Marshall through so I'll have an alternative to my 4x10 cabs. But alas, that's another thing that'll have to wait until after we get our house all done with.
Mine's been happily sitting in the corner of the room getting played loud a few days a week for a good few years now. It feels pretty solid - but then I'm not loading it in and out of the car every weekend and probably won't be, at least until the kids are a bit older.

Like Tad said - they're probably irresistible at the price. At the end of the day its just a wooden box with a pair of 30cm holes in the front. Its definitely the cheapest way of getting a 2x12... even if you wanted to upgrade both of the speakers its probably still cheaper than the next cab.

This is mine
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... intage.htm

Here's a comparison with a MESA cab. I think the MESA cab sounds better on crunch (I also really like the riff the demonstrator is playing). But then the MESA cab is more than twice the price.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 pm my inner maybe-someday-i'll-jam-with-real-humans-again-lol demons are saying get a 4x12. :happytrees:
Ya'll gonna be jamming in arenas?

As for the HB not holding up .... realistically how much gigging and jamming out are you gonna do?

It'll hold up fine ..... just don't toss it off the stage or climb on it and jump up and down while doing the frug.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:15 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:46 pm my inner maybe-someday-i'll-jam-with-real-humans-again-lol demons are saying get a 4x12. :happytrees:

As for the HB not holding up .... realistically how much gigging and jamming out are you gonna do?

It'll hold up fine ..... just don't toss it off the stage or climb on it and jump up and down while doing the frug.
No. No Arenas. The HB makes sense right now. I will only ever be doing anything at home and that would be more than fine. I am just waiting for a bit of cash to fall in my lap here in the next little bit. Really though, to get to V30's at that price it leaves me a bit more money for something else. It's really just something to get me noisy again.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:56 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:15 pm

No. No Arenas. The HB makes sense right now. I will only ever be doing anything at home and that would be more than fine. I am just waiting for a bit of cash to fall in my lap here in the next little bit. Really though, to get to V30's at that price it leaves me a bit more money for something else. It's really just something to get me noisy again.
Are your ceilings high enough so you can stand on top of it and do some windmills, just for the feeling, though? :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:21 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:56 pm

Are your ceilings high enough so you can stand on top of it and do some windmills, just for the feeling, though? :lollers:
They are not lol. I can reach up and touch my rooms ceiling with my hands. :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If you're set on a 2x12 get the biggest 2x12 you can.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I'm still on this bullshit. My stupid household got slammed with a shitload of unforeseen outflow's of cash this last two weeks and also over the next few weeks, (Calamari's Bday, Winterizing the new car etc.) so my bday treat of a new cab is now on hold. More than likely will be a xmas gift to myself now i think. I am still researching this though. (2x12 vs 4x12 vs funds available)

More info on the Harley Benton 2x12 w/ V30's from our old pal Loud Fricker. 🤢🤮 this video was sort of informative in the way that i didn't know Celestion had a run of poorly made offshore V30's. I did have a line on a used one for about 275CAD but the odds of it being the poorly made V30's were really high as he bought his cab a while ago. I will pass on the used one.

And then forgetting all of that HB has come out with a new 2x12 that is loaded with a both a V30 and G12M-65. Pretty cool! As i had mentioned earlier in this thread I was kind of interested in getting this cab with the 2 V30's and then start toying with different speakers anyways. this makes it a little more convenient and interesting despite the little bit of extra cost.

Anyways. More useless drivvel from me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:17 pm

And then forgetting all of that HB has come out with a new 2x12 that is loaded with a both a V30 and G12M-65.
That's the one I'd go with without question. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:30 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:17 pm

And then forgetting all of that HB has come out with a new 2x12 that is loaded with a both a V30 and G12M-65.
That's the one I'd go with without question. :coolstorybro:
Makes all kinds of sense really.

I was really bonering pretty hard for the vertical slant back style but after a pretty bordeline rude email reply back from HB they don't exist and likely never will. That aside i think there is a bit more chunk and beef to just the basic ass 2x12 anyways so that would be the one i go with i reckon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:52 pm after a pretty bordeline rude email reply back from HB
Chinese child labor sweatshops don't have time for your mundane questions. :mad3:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 10:11 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:52 pm after a pretty bordeline rude email reply back from HB
Chinese child labor sweatshops don't have time for your mundane questions. :mad3:
And there is that yea. My wife is so vehemently anti "Made in China" i might not get a green light. But she ask so little questions about naything i buy for me and music stuff it might not come up.

Although, she is loosening her stance on that MiC a bit. She just made her first amazon purchase ever last week ( :facepalm2: :lollers2: ) and told me it was made and shipped from China and didn't seem overly perplexed by it despite having to tell me all about her experience.

Funny how having a kid and having to pay for kid things changes a person. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:39 pm
And there is that yea. My wife is so vehemently anti "Made in China" i might not get a green light. But she ask so little questions about naything i buy for me and music stuff it might not come up.

Although, she is loosening her stance on that MiC a bit. She just made her first amazon purchase ever last week ( :facepalm2: :lollers2: ) and told me it was made and shipped from China and didn't seem overly perplexed by it despite having to tell me all about her experience.

Funny how having a kid and having to pay for kid things changes a person. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Totally. There's also cost vs quality vs convenience.

You want an iPhone? Cool. They're made in china in chinese slave labor camps. You want that same phone made by free living unionized western society types with paid vacations and living wages and benefits? Okay, that's cool too, be ready to spend eight times as much for that same phone.

For example....look up some potentiometers. You can get chinese Alpha pots for a buck or two. They work fine and have been used in countless guitars and amps. Also look up PEC pots. PEC are a north american made "precision" potentiometer. They're "military grade". They cost ten times as much. Maybe if you're building F-18s for the Air Force you need "military grade" pots that cost a shit ton of money. For the rest of us, those Alpha pots are fantastic. They do the exact same thing.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:48 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:39 pm

Totally. There's also cost vs quality vs convenience.

You want an iPhone? Cool. They're made in china in chinese slave labor camps. You want that same phone made by free living unionized western society types with paid vacations and living wages and benefits? Okay, that's cool too, be ready to spend eight times as much for that same phone.

For example....look up some potentiometers. You can get chinese Alpha pots for a buck or two. They work fine and have been used in countless guitars and amps. Also look up PEC pots. PEC are a north american made "precision" potentiometer. They're "military grade". They cost ten times as much. Maybe if you're building F-18s for the Air Force you need "military grade" pots that cost a shit ton of money. For the rest of us, those Alpha pots are fantastic. They do the exact same thing.
Agree. She is coming around the older she get's. She know's some stuff is unavoidable but she tries to keep to local and domestic whenever she can.

Here is one thing that made me lol. I preordered a record a couple years ago and kept getting emails that the release date kept getting pushed back and pushed back becasue the press was having issues. Then it was shipping delays then it got stuck at a border somewhere (wait for it) then it finally got the label in wherever USA, and they were preparing to ship. This was all roughly the span of about 9 or 10 months. It finally lands. I was stoked.

Opened the box and looked at my long awaited release...

Fuck sakes. :spacepalm:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I avoid buying things of Chinese origin if I can, but it's not always possible and/or sensible, given the price differences that can happen.

Chinese cars - or actually more specifically, tradie Tonka trucks and some SUVs - are appearing at a rapid rate here. No thanks. They haven't got so much into smaller passenger cars yet but it's coming.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I do remember when people slagged off at Made In Japan. Cheaper, smaller etc. Now a lot of those "junk" things are still working and the MIJ label is valuable. Will China cut through to that? Probably. The Harley Benton, TC Electronics, Behringer & Joyo brands stepped up their quality from low to higher expectations. Investing 30k at this point, hmmm. Where are Suzukis made? India & Japan. Will Made In India become a badge we know & love? Definitely Made In Vietnam isn't a bad thing.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:16 pm I avoid buying things of Chinese origin if I can, but it's not always possible and/or sensible, given the price differences that can happen.

Chinese cars - or actually more specifically, tradie Tonka trucks and some SUVs - are appearing at a rapid rate here. No thanks. They haven't got so much into smaller passenger cars yet but it's coming.
I drive a Chinese car, and MG. They bought the old British brand MG about 15 years ago.
China made it a state goal to dominate the EV market and they seem to be doing well so far.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 3:59 am
Armistice wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:16 pm I avoid buying things of Chinese origin if I can, but it's not always possible and/or sensible, given the price differences that can happen.

I drive a Chinese car, and MG. They bought the old British brand MG about 15 years ago.
China made it a state goal to dominate the EV market and they seem to be doing well so far.
I'm less concerned about Chinese manufacturing of existing brands - MG - and more of their own brands that are popping up everywhere - Haval, Chery and various others - seems to be a new one every month. This doesn't stop the locals buying them, however, as they're cheap. What they'll be like in a few years is an unanswered question.

My general antipathy towards China is borne of their actions in our region in the last decade - specifically towards Australia with their unwarranted trade antics, but also our pacific neighbours. They're a malign force in the world, so I try not to give them any of my money, if possible.