New Honey Hunters - Identity

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - Identity

Post by Armistice »

... right then, back to normal transmission.

Shorter and faster than the last one. :wink:

Version 1

DELETED

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Version 2

DELETED

Tweaks various suggested by the gallery below... (except the additional chuggy guitar - no time for that this morning) :like:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Version 3

DELETED

Because I really want to not be working on this song tomorrow and the Women's World Cup semi-final Australia v. England is on in 75 minutes I have risked the wrath of GF who's labouring in the kitchen to do some final adjustments along the lines of what @Bubba and @JD01 have suggested... :jam:

If that's not done it'll have to wait a few days. Singing opportunity tomorrow morning, must take it... :wink:

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reiterating that my lyrics usually start out from random words and phrases that seem to fit well with the music that's already been created. And who knows where it goes from there... sometimes they take on a life of their own. "Identity? What's your identity? Tell it to meeeeee...." just slipped into my head one day while I was searching for a subject. :biggrin:
Last edited by Armistice on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
rayc

Re: New Honey Hunters - Identity

Post by rayc »

I like the sound and the vibe but part of your main lyrical hook ""Identity? What's your identity? Tell it to meeeeee...." is driving me nuts....I read & thought, "Identity? What's your identity? Tell meeeeee....", then my mind suggested "Identity? What's your identity? Tell, tell, tell meeeeee...."
The solo bass runs are good BUT then sound thin - you may need to automate some EQ meat for those.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The swells on the cymbals at the start sound a little unnatural (except) for the first one.
Love your more restrained approach to drums on this. Think the hihats/ride are a little quiet in comparison to the kick/snare

Sounds like its pumping a touch - that could be my computer/soundcard though, I'm not at home by my desk.
Piano is a bit muddy/burried sounding and isn't standing out like it should - lovely piano part though.
You know what - in the verse after the interlude it would be really cool if one of your rhythm guitars just chugged on a muted power chord.

Your drumming gets a bit too jazzy after about 2:20 with a very muddy (floor?) tom washing over everything - you could probably do something about that.

Best Armistice song I've heard in ages.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That is short!

I like the driving bass and cracking snare. I feel like there should be more distortion on the guitars to match that feeling tho maybe?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:26 am I like the sound and the vibe but part of your main lyrical hook ""Identity? What's your identity? Tell it to meeeeee...." is driving me nuts....I read & thought, "Identity? What's your identity? Tell meeeeee....", then my mind suggested "Identity? What's your identity? Tell, tell, tell meeeeee...."
The solo bass runs are good BUT then sound thin - you may need to automate some EQ meat for those.
I actually retracked the bass yesterday morning - it's one of those things that because of the fast downstrokes, the NEXT note is often a challenge, and there was some not so great overtones on the low E, so I thought I'd best have another crack. Because it was 7.30am I more or less picked a profile at random and did it through headphones - afterwards when I was listening on the monitors I realised it was perhaps less bassy and more distorted than I'd normally use - but then I thought it sort of fitted the song quite well, but yes, those little bits at the end might need a tweak or two. I'll see what I can do... :wink:
JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:00 pm The swells on the cymbals at the start sound a little unnatural (except) for the first one.
Love your more restrained approach to drums on this. Think the hihats/ride are a little quiet in comparison to the kick/snare

Sounds like its pumping a touch - that could be my computer/soundcard though, I'm not at home by my desk.
Piano is a bit muddy/burried sounding and isn't standing out like it should - lovely piano part though.
You know what - in the verse after the interlude it would be really cool if one of your rhythm guitars just chugged on a muted power chord.

Your drumming gets a bit too jazzy after about 2:20 with a very muddy (floor?) tom washing over everything - you could probably do something about that.

Best Armistice song I've heard in ages.
Damn tom toms... I'll have a look. I'd tidied it up already but I was wondering if I'd done it enough when I was listening to it. Perhaps not. I had a kit that was working well with the toms but something's gone awry somewhere. :mad2: Will check out the piano and the cymbals generally. I don't think it's pumping, but I'll have a listen. Will try your last verse chuggy suggestion as well and see what I think. Cheers :like:

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:05 pm That is short!

I like the driving bass and cracking snare. I feel like there should be more distortion on the guitars to match that feeling tho maybe?
Cheers VHS - I'm about to go back up and play around with it... and have a listen to the song as well :drums: :biggrin: so I'll see what's possible with the geetars. :like:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

New version up in the OP... :metal:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The guitars are sounding pretty good, now, although they are slightly too loud generally, I feel. The verse guitars are suffering from a bit of low-mid (a fairly wide band centred around 500 Hz) build up, which can happen when you have a few guitars playing together. A small, wide-ish cut on each guitar in that region would allow the verse vocal to poke through a little better. As it is, the vocal is getting a bit overpowered in the second half of each verse.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armi, listened a few more times again this morning.
Home office now so listening through an interface, no pumping!

Was thinking more about the "crescendo" after 2:20 - this is when you jazz up your drums and it stops the song driving, it sounds more like its running out of steam. If you really want the fancy drums it would be better to have them in the section before this and then switch to the standard, more driving beat, at the end. Alternatively, instead of the jazzy beat at the end, you could turn the beat around and go double time, that would sound cool.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Another new version up in the OP... thanks @JD01 and @Bubba .
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That much better sounding, Armi. The piano has really been lifted up! Still think you should de-jazzify the drums a bit more and chug some powerchords... maybe that'll be on my cover version,
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:30 am That much better sounding, Armi. The piano has really been lifted up! Still think you should de-jazzify the drums a bit more and chug some powerchords... maybe that'll be on my cover version,
LOL - there is absolutely nothing even approaching jazziness in the drumming, apart from the bridge... it's all very straight... :lollers:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:30 am That much better sounding, Armi. The piano has really been lifted up! Still think you should de-jazzify the drums a bit more and chug some powerchords... maybe that'll be on my cover version,
LOL - there is absolutely nothing even approaching jazziness in the drumming, apart from the bridge... it's all very straight... :lollers:
I don't know what he's on about, either. :lollers2:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:54 am
Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:49 am

I don't know what he's on about, either. :lollers2:
The bit from 2:20 onwards.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Coming in on Mix 3.

Why are these guitars so clean. 🤔 I guess it works. But it could work gooder with some over driven guitters. It's a really cool song. It's short and fast. I think you could over drive them guits and make a banger!

Nothing nit wise on my end i don't think at this point. 2nd The guitars have a bit of of a hiss/fizz or sound like they might be clipping a wee bit when they solo out after your little piano recital>??

Kudos to not stealing anyone's bass riffs for this one Armi. 👍
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:47 am Coming in on Mix 3.

Why are these guitars so clean. 🤔
Because that's sort of what I do... :wink: And they're not THAT clean. Just not distorted...

Cheers
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:16 am The bit from 2:20 onwards.
It's completely straight! Which version are you listening to? :biggrin: Anyway, you - talking of chugging away on powerchords - all that I wanted from you on that attempted collab I offered you about three years ago was THAT EXACT THING. And you did not deliver. :mad: :wink:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:19 am Another new version up in the OP... thanks @JD01 and @Bubba .
Sounds good to me, mate. I can't decide whether the bass is a bit quiet. It does sit quite well with the guitars but it just seems a little crowded out. I'm conscious though, that if you brought it up a little you may start to lose the kick drum. It's probably okay. :smiles:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:44 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:16 am The bit from 2:20 onwards.
It's completely straight! Which version are you listening to? :biggrin: Anyway, you - talking of chugging away on powerchords - all that I wanted from you on that attempted collab I offered you about three years ago was THAT EXACT THING. And you did not deliver. :mad: :wink:
Version 3, the chorus before hand is fast on the ride, then the 2nd chorus, feels like it drops to halftime with toms thrown in.
Ah, what collab was that? Is it finished yet? I've been pretty busy for the last 3 years.
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.