Lounge Act - Nirvana Nevermind recording challenge

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Lounge Act - Nirvana Nevermind recording challenge

Post by JD01 »

Here it is.
I didn't have a prayer of going an octave up for the 3rd verse and last chorus so I screamed a harmony part instead.
Lounge Act.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Re: Lounge Act - Nirvana Nevermind recording challenge

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: ↑Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:40 am Here it is.
I didn't have a prayer of going an octave up for the 3rd verse and last chorus so I screamed a harmony part instead.

Lounge Act.mp3
Excellent. It just goes to show that, however exactly you endeavour to copy something, you can't prevent yourself from showing through. Which is a good thing, obviously.

My fingertips are cracked into little gaping red mouths just now and it would be agonizing to try to play anything.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

This whole exercise in listening to more Nirvana in the last 2 weeks than I have in my life has definitely shown me how big of an influence they are on you @JD01. I would have bought that this was an original if I didn't know it was Nirvana. Although I think that your other influences would probably have you spicing up the chord progression quite a bit :)

If you end up opening this project again, slap ReaTune or something on the lead vocal and tidy up some of those misses on the last words of phrases. One surprise that has come out of this challenge has been that Kurt's vocal pitch was surprisingly good, given the kinda slacker vibe he gave off. I don't know if that was just the best of 1000 takes for him, or if he had good pitch and just liked to defy it a lot.

This was a fun listen. Good intensity and drive. Cheers!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers tad "it was good apart from your singing!" Haha.
Bubba was saying to me the other day that my better songs are my simpler ones. I think it's cos they tend to come off vocal hook that gets stuck in my head thar I write a song around instead of writing a song to amuse myself then have to grind out the lyrics afterwards.

He did have good pitch. Rarely did more than a couple of takes apparently, but they played live and rehearsed a lot so he was always well practiced... even when he was pretty fucked up apparently.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Buds, wtf was that 0:28 ??

Good cover JD. Not gonna lie, super bummed you didn't let it rip for that last verse. You didn't even pretend to attempt to try to shred your vocal folds. 😞

good cover though dude. Pretty true to form Nirvana sound and the mix is pretty good too man. I quite like that bass tone you got going on too. I'd keep that in the pocket for later recordings. Good work jerk!
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:30 am Buds, wtf was that 0:28 ??

Good cover JD. Not gonna lie, super bummed you didn't let it rip for that last verse. You didn't even pretend to attempt to try to shred your vocal folds. 😞

good cover though dude. Pretty true to form Nirvana sound and the mix is pretty good too man. I quite like that bass tone you got going on too. I'd keep that in the pocket for later recordings. Good work jerk!
Distortion pedal maybe?

I did have a go at screaming in the last verse but I was getting nowhere near it, when I tried screaming it an octave lower I sounded more like Max Cavalera... so I had to go for a compromise approach. Pennyroyal Tea was just about in my range so I could have a good crack at it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

If you mean that interjection of a single loud, distorted cut-off chord, that's on the original - but it's even louder on that and more jarring.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:54 am
If you mean that interjection of a single loud, distorted cut-off chord, that's on the original - but it's even louder on that and more jarring.
Yeah, I've just checked it. That's me just clicking a distortion pedal on. Listening to it again now I've gone way more gentle than the original.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Weird. Yea it is in the original too isn't it. I suppose that all part of his "genius".

Yea. I was just buggin ya about the screaming bit. No idea how he managed to belt that one out. I'd love to know how many tries it took.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

well this one's pretty much a recreation of the original and it's pretty well done I think.
To me it could use a bit more guitar or slightly less bass ..... the git needs to be more prominent.
I agree with WJ that the bass sound is very good.

I actually REALLY like that harmony you added for the 3rd verse and prefer it to a screamed higher vocal.
It's a good harmony and adds to the thing.
It's a good job and sounds very good.
:like:

You guys are all so quick ...... I'm only just now getting the drumbs done for mine .... :spacepalm:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:45 pm well this one's pretty much a recreation of the original and it's pretty well done I think.
To me it could use a bit more guitar or slightly less bass ..... the git needs to be more prominent.
I agree with WJ that the bass sound is very good.

I actually REALLY like that harmony you added for the 3rd verse and prefer it to a screamed higher vocal.
It's a good harmony and adds to the thing.
It's a good job and sounds very good.
:like:

You guys are all so quick ...... I'm only just now getting the drumbs done for mine .... :spacepalm:
Cheers, Bob. I might remix it if I get time. I want to retrack part of the bass too.

I'm similar to you, i have to get the drums done first which takes ages then the rest is easy.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Shit, I missed this.. what happens when you go early... :lollers:

Nice work - again, I don't particularly like the Nirvana version of the song, but yours I can listen to. Everything seems in order, but I'm hearing on the harmony vocal at 1:38 some sort of glitch, or possibly your voice just broke at that point.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Damn, don't know how I missed this!
It's your usual excellent job, in my humble opinion. Love the sound you get with the bass, I have a long way to go to figure that on out.

Really enjoyed this, Jd!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:35 pm Shit, I missed this.. what happens when you go early... :lollers:

Nice work - again, I don't particularly like the Nirvana version of the song, but yours I can listen to. Everything seems in order, but I'm hearing on the harmony vocal at 1:38 some sort of glitch, or possibly your voice just broke at that point.
The "glitch" is just my voice cracking in the dodgy harmony part.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:58 am
Armistice wrote: ↑Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:35 pm Shit, I missed this.. what happens when you go early... :lollers:

The "glitch" is just my voice cracking in the dodgy harmony part.
Ah yes, been there... :lollers:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.