Fixing up my dad's Epiphone Dot

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
paulman

Fixing up my dad's Epiphone Dot

Post by paulman »

My dad recently gave me his guitar. Between his arthritis and his shakiness, he can't really play anymore. Sometime in the 90's he sold his Gibson, which was the first guitar I ever laid eyes on and the one I started learning on until he took me to a pawn shop to get my own. I don't even know what model it was, it's not common and I've never seen one other than his. He sold it to our next door neighbor (no idea why, other than that I remember he broke his finger around that time so maybe he thought he wouldn't be able to play again), who in turn sold it to Fred Durst from Limp Bizkit. I'd kill to have that guitar back, but I have no idea if Fred still has it and I don't really know him anyway. Also I'm not sure what you would offer a millionaire for a guitar. The guys in Limp Bizkit that I do know, I haven't been in contact with since high school.

So anyway, a few years after he sold that guitar my mom decided to buy him one for his birthday because she knew he missed playing. So I picked this one out for him, a 2003 Epiphone Dot. He gave it to me a few weeks ago, and I'm working on sprucing it up. I've decided it's going to be optimized for clean tones. First things first, I'm working on the setup. I put some Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swing flatwounds on it and adjusted the neck slightly. It buzzes pretty bad on the higher frets, and after twiddling around with the action I think it needs some fret sanding, though I want to be sure before I start that. I'll probably make a new nut to replace the stock plastic one, once I've settled for sure on the string gauges. And I want to replace the pickups and at least clean if not replace all the electronics. Every pot and the pickup switch are very scratchy. Since it's a huge pain in the ass to do anything with the electronics on a semi-hollowbody, I'm not doing any of it until I'm ready to do all of it at once.

Not sure what I want to do for pickups. I'm thinking something good for traditional jazz on the neck, and something more suitable for rock at the bridge.
IMG_3880.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Re: Fixing up my dad's Epiphone Dot

Post by Lt. Bob »

purty!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's nice, good luck with it!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

There's not a lot of difference between that model & my Sheraton II.
Nice.
Cheers
rayc