Heart Shaped Box, cello quartet!

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Alison

Heart Shaped Box, cello quartet!

Post by Alison »

I truly hate sending stuff back to back but, this is something I started before I broke my arm. I was inspired to do this because @JD01 posted a Nirvana cover and a conversation ensued, then I broke my arm and Jd had a baby. . . ha! That'll pause a lot of things!

Anyway, I had a cello quartet for a few years for which I would arrange a lot of pop/ rock songs for us to play. I figured a lot of restaurants would love us since we were unamplified. WRONG! We took up too much space. . . all that aside, we did work a bit but, this is one of the arrangements I did for the quartet.

This was definitely a challenge to record as I had to play all the parts and, when I did this for the quartet, the melody floats around. . .eveybody got a chance at playing the melody so that made the mixing tricky. Cello 1 would sometimes have the melody, cello 3 would have the melody, etc. . . so kind of a mixing nightmare. You'll hear the melody on the right one time, then on the left the next. Keeps it interesting, I think.

I also added drums which I haven't used in my past several recordings so there's that. Down the EZ Drummer rabbit hole, I go. . . Let me know what you think! I'm not sure I'll do anything with this other than maybe post it on Soundcloud, can't add it to other recordings as I didn't buy permission to arrange it (something I discovered after forming the quartet and wanting to record arrangements. It costs several hundred dollars just to get permission to arrange. . .ugh!)
So, have at it, would love to hear your comments!
Heart Shaped Box mp3.mp3
Cello only,
HSB cello only.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alison on Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Heart Shaped Box, cello quartet!

Post by WhiskeyJack »

long time no see stranger. Hope your injury isn't given you too much of a going over.

this was awesome. I am a big fan of hearing classic rock songs done over with strings. It is so cool. I like the chorus arrangement the best. It just really flows and still manages to capture the energy and feel of the original without carbon copying it.

There are a few spots where the strings and the drums get a bit discombobulated and come out of time with each other. I think the strings get ahead of the drums. See @ 0:27-0:31 after those flutters on the hi hats. Actually on a 2nd listen it might not be ahead or behind it might just be some wongo drum loops. regardless might be worth diving into?

this is great Alison nice to see you are still at it.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like it...very cool arrangement. I'd be inclined to tame the cymbals a bit though.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 1:02 am I like it...very cool arrangement. I'd be inclined to tame the cymbals a bit though.
I concur. Those crashes on the chorus are a lot.

We should have done In Utero instead of Nevermind, I guess. Now you're going to have to record a whole other Nirvana song, Alison!
paulman

Post by paulman »

This is a great arrangement! WhiskeyJack is right that the drums get wonky in places, but even if that weren't the case I think drums are distracting in this. I would just leave it at strings only.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thanks, everyone for the comments! It was definitely a challenge to record this with drums because there is a lot going on in all the cello parts. I really feel that the drums give it that extra "pow". Will check the spot that @WhiskeyJack mentioned and work on taming the cymbals a bit. Was trying to emulate the drums on Jd's Nirvana covers but I guess it is a bit overwhelming!

I used to enjoy making arrangements for the quartet unfortunately, I don't have the program that I used anymore. For some reason, I couldn't get it transferred over to my new computer. May just have to look into getting another.

Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, the drums don't work. Best just leave them off.
Looks like you've learned a lot about programming EZ drummer... but I think its best you just leave them off here!

Gonna add a vocal?
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:44 am Yeah, the drums don't work. Best just leave them off.
Looks like you've learned a lot about programming EZ drummer... but I think its best you just leave them off here!

Gonna add a vocal?
Well, I have to admit that I am a tad disappointed but, I'm glad you can hear a difference in the programming of EZ drummer, that was a big reason for recording this.

I am adding a version that is just cello in the OP. To me, it's not nearly as dynamic but, I can hear things in the cello lines that may be the reason why they are not working as well with the drums. Also, I really had no plans to add vocals as the melody is already in the cello parts.

Anyway, I do appreciate the input, thank you!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I'm, not sure drums won't work ...... I think that particular set might be a bit overpowering ..... maybe try some jazz sets or lighter drumsets.

Nice like all your stuff.

:like:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alison wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:43 pm Will check the spot that @WhiskeyJack mentioned and work on taming the cymbals a bit. Was trying to emulate the drums on Jd's Nirvana covers but I guess it is a bit overwhelming!
Ohhh! Now that you mention it, I can hear it, yeah. I think it was probably a worthwhile thing to try, but big rock crashes just aren't your usual vibe. To make it really gel, you'd have to make a lot of very different arrangement choices.
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.