Recording Challenge #12: Nevermind

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
rayc

Re: Recording Challenge #12: Nevermind

Post by rayc »

Bubba wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:53 pm
rayc wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 pm Compilation Title:
Nevermind: The Real Bollocks
Or just "Nevermind Bollocks" .
Yeah, brevity wins,
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@vomitHatSteve I am gonna give Teen Spirit a go.

It make take me a month to get it done will school back in full swing.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:21 pm @vomitHatSteve I am gonna give Teen Spirit a go.

:like:

JD and I were actually just discussing if that one should be done collaboratively since no one had signed up yet! lol
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:21 pm @vomitHatSteve I am gonna give Teen Spirit a go.

no problem ..... I look forward to it.

And I'm gonna be at least another two weeks as my wifey is out of town for a week which means the separation anxiety dog will howl and whine and bark without pause for the entire week making it impossible for me to record and the then day after wifey gets back i have to have a tooth pulled knocking me out for another week.
I actually do have the drumbs finished so it'll be quick once I get a chance to get to it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

@musicturtle, would you feel infringed upon if we did a big live-aid esque alternate version of Teen Spirit in addition to your solo take?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:25 am @musicturtle, would you feel infringed upon if we did a big live-aid esque alternate version of Teen Spirit in addition to your solo take?
:like: We'd also want you to contribute a verse to it.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:25 am @musicturtle, would you feel infringed upon if we did a big live-aid esque alternate version of Teen Spirit in addition to your solo take?
JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 am :like: We'd also want you to contribute a verse to it.
There's still Polly, Stay Away and Endless, Nameless to go at, as well.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:27 pm

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:29 am :like: We'd also want you to contribute a verse to it.
There's still Polly, Stay Away and Endless, Nameless to go at, as well.
Endless Nameless is barely a song really.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:45 pm Endless Nameless is barely a song really.
3 minutes of unfocused faffing about sounds perfect for our lot! :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:39 pm

:like:

JD and I were actually just discussing if that one should be done collaboratively since no one had signed up yet! lol
As I think I mentioned earlier, SMTS was the missing third song of the three that I was lead vocalist for in the last covers band I was in. A damn good reason not to be involved in it again... :lollers:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Whatever you guys wanna do is fine with me. It's just for grins anyway.

I was gonna do a pretty close to the original version of Teen Spirit, to be kinda outa my comfort zone. Not sure what you all had planned for the group effort.

Not crazy at all about the other three songs.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:41 pm

I was gonna do a pretty close to the original version of Teen Spirit, to be kinda outa my comfort zone. Not sure what you all had planned for the group effort.

Yeah, you just do your thing, MT. It's only fair, nobody interfered with our choices!
Haggard Musician :mad:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 3:41 pm

Rock and roll. JD is spearheading the composite version. From what he's described to me, I anticipate a lot of rebel weirdness.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Ok, here's mine.

First let me say I've thoroughly enjoyed this challenge and watching ya'll work.
I think I hear it differently than most of ya'll because other than Smells Like Teen Spirit, I'd never heard any of these at all ...... never.
I skimmed thru it when I was deciding on In Bloom and they were all totally foreign to me.

You've all really elevated your game ..... nice nice work .... and I've liked all of them better than the originals.
I'm gonna send them all to my daughter who was born in 1980 and was a big fan of this album. She heard Tadpui's and loved it.
She wants to hear the others.
Anyone that doesn't want me to send their copy to my daughter .... just lemme know.

Anyways every single submission has been stellar ... really.
That comes to screeching halt with this one! :lollers2:

I finally managed to get to this Wednesday and pretty much finished it that evening.
Then I mixed it just now.
I did this in my usual haphazard way taking the first takes that were passable .... motto in my studio :
Tracks a little rough? --- Then they're good enough! :coolstorybro:

It was a little different than my usual process though because I had to follow a certain structure to some degree.
Drumbs came first of course and then the bass.
I usually write from the bass line so that's fine for me but normally it can go wherever I wander and then I write the song to fit whatever the bass line ended up being.
However this time the bass line couldn't wander ... it had to go to certain places at certain times plus I was deciding on the feel and sound of the song while doing the bass line so I'd do it a little differently each take.

I don't like to comp bass tracks ..... I prefer a single take all the way thru ...... so the bass took 30-35 times before I got one that was ok.
After that it was all quick ... 1st and 2nd takes.
The lead is literally the 2nd time I played any lead over it at all ......... I actually could have taken the first take but a little wobble at the end made me want to take a 2nd shot.

Umm ..... that little renaissance fluty thing was gonna be the Aerophone but I couldn't play it cause of empty tooth socket so I just did it on keyboard where I'm sorta awkward.

I guess I can put it off any longer ... lol.
Let me have it!
I'll be your lightning rod of hate!

:lollers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOl - Brilliant Lt... not sure if you've seen the original video of the song where they're dressed up as 50s/60s teen idols, all smiley and happy - this is the version of the song that perfectly fits the film clip...

You could add it to the live repertoire - if just for laughs, without mentioning what it is beforehand. :lollers:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 2:38 am not sure if you've seen the original video of the song where they're dressed up as 50s/60s teen idols, all smiley and happy - this is the version of the song that perfectly fits the film clip...
I have seen it ..... that's what I learned the song from .... maybe it influenced the direction I went. :sherlock:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cracking good take.
I like the lilting rhythm...there's plenty of space in this and your voice sits oh so sweetly in the middle of it.
Slap, bang ending is good too.
I thoroughly enjoyed this - thank you.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:14 am Cracking good take.
I like the lilting rhythm...there's plenty of space in this and your voice sits oh so sweetly in the middle of it.
Slap, bang ending is good too.
I thoroughly enjoyed this - thank you.
Thank ye' sir!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Ha, great job @Lt. Bob! Love the happy go lucky vibe and the ripping guitar solo.