Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!

I would participate if the album were...

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28 am

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
42%
Nevermind - Nirvana
33%
??? - The B52s
25%

Total votes: 12

Bubba

Re: Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:15 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm We've forgotten what it's like to have to compromise with another musician's input, in a real band.
Not me, I play in two really active original material bands.
Would it be possible to bring some of that back to the forum?

I know I've been away for a long time, but I've had substantial mental health issues, not connected with the members of this forum. I'm not trying to stir up shit.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Would it be possible to bring some of that back to the forum?

Bring some of what back? :confused:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:30 pm
Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:23 pm Would it be possible to bring some of that back to the forum?

Bring some of what back? :confused:
The feeling of interacting ILR with other musicians, that you're doing just now with your bands?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:35 pm
The feeling of interacting ILR with other musicians, that you're doing just now with your bands?
I don't really understand what you're asking, but I'm here all the time. This is the only place I do any internetting. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:11 pm ... when they're cathartic.
Catharsis "...Purgation...A purifying or figurative cleansing of the emotions."
It isn't, necessarily, a learning experience in terms of acquiring new knowledge/experience or skill beyond some self awareness.

Challenge is another thing entirely unless one challenges oneself to a cathartic process.

I think you're projecting - both in terms of your experience and the use of we - but I understand, given the change in personnel/performance fortunes for your band. You've gone from shared endeavour to individual endeavour.
One individual endeavouring to interpret another individual's song is still individual and whilst the sharing/contrast/comparison may be enlightening it's not, in my understanding, likely to create catharsis, or a communal environment. Collaboration? Most folk in this forum do that to some degree or other and for various reasons.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think Ray and I have collabed on more stuff than anyone else...going way way back to the other place. We've probably done enough for a double album.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:04 am I think Ray and I have collabed on more stuff than anyone else...going way way back to the other place. We've probably done enough for a double album.
I know the two of us have collaborated on enough for a double album. And by that, I mean, you've played drums on two of my albums! :D

To what Bubba is saying, I think the challenges are generally that idea. There has been a lot of real in-depth collaboration on these things and some spirited discussion of the constraints we're dealing with.

Of course, it's hit or miss: Greg's two chord challenge, JD's raga scale challenge, and this one had a lot of engagement and participation.
But my Aaa mashup challenge, and Crows write to someone else's bass line challenge both fizzled.

I guess the trick is that we just need to avoid those 10 month gaps between challenges!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:09 pm
I know the two of us have collaborated on enough for a double album. And by that, I mean, you've played drums on two of my albums! :D
Yeah that's true! :drums:
To what Bubba is saying, I think the challenges are generally that idea. There has been a lot of real in-depth collaboration on these things and some spirited discussion of the constraints we're dealing with.

Of course, it's hit or miss: Greg's two chord challenge, JD's raga scale challenge, and this one had a lot of engagement and participation.
But my Aaa mashup challenge, and Crows write to someone else's bass line challenge both fizzled.

I guess the trick is that we just need to avoid those 10 month gaps between challenges!
I like your mashup challenge... my idea is, I think, pretty amazing. I just get never got back to finishing it. It's a tough one. I do intend to finish it off one day though lol.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think it was a pretty cool challenge too, but by the time we refined the parameters to a place where it was more sensible, most of the folks who might have participated seemed to have lost interest

I think JD still has a submission for that one rattling around that he means to finish.