Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!

I would participate if the album were...

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28 am

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
42%
Nevermind - Nirvana
33%
??? - The B52s
25%

Total votes: 12

Armistice

Re: Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Post by Armistice »

I would do The Chain, if we were choosing. I did do Dreams in a cover band way way back. Even sang it. Thankfully, this was never documented.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'll have to give the album a listen. Dreams, Go Your Own Way, and the Chain are the only ones I know by name.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I don't like the Rumours album. I don't like that era of Mac - Mac n Squeeze.
The bass outro to the Chain could've/should've been a whole other song.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

We could go in a meta direction and pick an album that's already all covers. Like Bowie's Pin Ups or something.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:11 pm I don't like the Rumours album. I don't like that era of Mac - Mac n Squeeze.
The bass outro to the Chain could've/should've been a whole other song.
Well, we're not going to find something that everybody is interested in participating in. And you don't/can't do covers anyway. :smiles:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol Bubba has come out of his hole to be a dick to Ray, again.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:55 pm Lol Bubba has come out of his hole to be a dick to Ray, again.
Just reiterating what Ray has stated many times to be the case, on both counts. Unless I'm misremembering.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 8:06 pm
Just reiterating what Ray has stated many times to be the case, on both counts. Unless I'm misremembering.
Lol okay, maybe so.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:22 pm We could go in a meta direction and pick an album that's already all covers. Like Bowie's Pin Ups or something.
Lol! Or we could do covers of a tribute album! Bowiesongs1 maybe.

Ok, I've put in a poll. Everything that had at least 2 people say they'd be down for it (all 3 of those) are in it. I'll update it as more folks chime in. (tho it'll be next week some time as I'm going to a jazz fest this weekend)
rayc

Post by rayc »

I did a cover a few years back, Leonard Cohen's Joan of Arc with CeeBee/Chris.
I had one ready to go for the 50s thing - music sorted etc. but couldn't get the Johnny Ray vocal sorted well enough.
I'm always happy to be the "Oh well, you...anyway" fellow when it comes to clubs though.
viewtopic.php?p=72708#p72708
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

people who object to doing covers aren't musicians ,,,, just to stir the pot. :razz:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:20 pm people who object to doing covers aren't musicians ,,,, just to stir the pot. :razz:
I don't object - it more the case that I can't sing 'em. To cover is to collab for me.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Likewise, I've never done a cover. It's not an ideological objection but a matter of time. No matter where I've lived, one part of the process - singing - has always been bound by a number of variables I can't control, and gets difficult. So I focus on my own stuff in the time I have.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I vote either B 52s or Nirvana because I don't know anything about them so that would be interesting.

As for the cover thing .... every single musician I know likes to play music ..... just as happy playing country one night, originals the next and pit band for a play the next.
Playing music is playing music.

If OTOH you want to only play your originals then you're a songwriter.
not a bad thing to be ..... absolutely the best chance to make some real money.
i'm not a songwriter and I don't give the least little shit what I play. I also have no chance of making serious bank like a songwriter does.
A primary goal of most musicians is virtuosity on their instrument .,.... you achieve that best by playing anything and everything.

Also covers don't have to be a slavish recreation of the original ... almost all the jazz greats played their own versions of others songs ( covers)
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:35 am Also covers don't have to be a slavish recreation of the original ... almost all the jazz greats played their own versions of others songs ( covers)
Yeah, the Standards Books are jazz arrangements of older songs that any up n coming jazz player is expected to master.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:35 am I vote either B 52s or Nirvana because I don't know anything about them so that would be interesting.

As for the cover thing .... every single musician I know likes to play music ..... just as happy playing country one night, originals the next and pit band for a play the next.
Playing music is playing music.

If OTOH you want to only play your originals then you're a songwriter.
not a bad thing to be ..... absolutely the best chance to make some real money.
i'm not a songwriter and I don't give the least little shit what I play. I also have no chance of making serious bank like a songwriter does.
A primary goal of most musicians is virtuosity on their instrument .,.... you achieve that best by playing anything and everything.

Also covers don't have to be a slavish recreation of the original ... almost all the jazz greats played their own versions of others songs ( covers)
Bob, if we did Nevermind, you should do a song called In Bloom. It's melodically a little unusual and you could drop a cracking sax solo in it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:09 am
Bob, if we did Nevermind, you should do a song called In Bloom. It's melodically a little unusual and you could drop a cracking sax solo in it.
fine with me ...... let's see what gets picked but I'll be happy to have time to do anything.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I would contribute to this.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nevermind seems to be leading but not by a lot. Do we wanna just commit to that then?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 2:30 pm Nevermind seems to be leading but not by a lot. Do we wanna just commit to that then?
OK by me. I'd quite like to do a song towards the end of the album called Lounge Act.