Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!

I would participate if the album were...

Poll ended at Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:28 am

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac
42%
Nevermind - Nirvana
33%
??? - The B52s
25%

Total votes: 12

Greg_L

Re: Challenge pitch - the rebels recreate a record

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:22 am So apparently we should have done Rumors... :eep:
That's like...would you rather die in a fire or drown?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:22 am So apparently we should have done Rumors... :eep:
so let's do Rumours next ..... and then I say lets have Greg pick one.

I'm serious ..... wifey gets back today and for a few weeks I think I'll actually have some time for recording .,.... I'll do the bass part for In Bloom tomorrow after my gig and I'm off and running for a bit I think.
Gotta have a tooth pulled Monday but that'll just take me out a couple days so I think I get In Bloom done by the end of the week.

I can guarantee anyone that loves Nevermind will HATE what I'm doing to In Bloom .... :coolstorybro:

I'm actually fairly familiar with Rumors so I should be able to do something horrible to it even easier.

And then let Greg pick one .... maybe he can pick something ya'll might know of, but pick it to his taste.
I think a Greg challenge would be fun.

I gotta go pick wifey up from airpost and then gig and then gig tomorrow morning but someone should start a "The Greg Challenge thread" so he can start pondering on it.

He will want to take dramamine before he listens to mine ................ :lollers2:
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 am
And then let Greg pick one .... maybe he can pick something ya'll might know of, but pick it to his taste.

Lol no no no. I've already "hosted" like three of these things. Besides I've got two ides for other ones that I'll unleash later on.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:48 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 am

Lol no no no. I've already "hosted" like three of these things. Besides I've got two ides for other ones that I'll unleash later on.
well not really ...... I'd want to do an entire album like we did with this where we all do different songs and do the entire album.
I'm finding the results of the Nevermind challenge pretty interesting

You don't even have to do one ......... just choose one for us and sit back and see what happens.

You gotta have some favorite albums that the guys will be familiar with ... not me of course but they will.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 am well not really ...... I'd want to do an entire album like we did with this where we all do different songs and do the entire album.

You don't even have to do one ......... just choose one for us and sit back and see what happens.

You gotta have some favorite albums that the guys will be familiar with ... not me of course but they will.
No. Thanks but no.
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 am I can guarantee anyone that loves Nevermind will HATE what I'm doing to In Bloom .... :coolstorybro:
I've been waiting for you to finish it before I post a link to a cover of that song by one of my favorite current artists. I'm not sure if there's anyone here besides me who likes the genre (though the album the cover is on kind of bent the genre), so I'm looking forward to seeing what ya'll think of it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

paulman wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:46 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:43 am I can guarantee anyone that loves Nevermind will HATE what I'm doing to In Bloom .... :coolstorybro:
I've been waiting for you to finish it before I post a link to a cover of that song by one of my favorite current artists. I'm not sure if there's anyone here besides me who likes the genre (though the album the cover is on kind of bent the genre), so I'm looking forward to seeing what ya'll think of it.
I'll prolly be done in a couple of days
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 am ]well not really ...... I'd want to do an entire album like we did with this where we all do different songs and do the entire album.

Maybe we could make this specific challenge an annual thing or something? Even if Greg never participates, it could be cool to do a tribute album every once in a while. (Plus, I would like to see other, different challenges too)
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:50 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:51 am ]well not really ...... I'd want to do an entire album like we did with this where we all do different songs and do the entire album.

Maybe we could make this specific challenge an annual thing or something? Even if Greg never participates, it could be cool to do a tribute album every once in a while. (Plus, I would like to see other, different challenges too)
I think that'd be cool.
I should finish mine today ..... it's pretty sloppy but so were Nirvana ...... lol
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think you should all cover a Honey Hunters album, if you want a real challenge... :lollers:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:44 pm I think you should all cover a Honey Hunters album, if you want a real challenge... :lollers:
I mean, we already did a "cover another rebel's song" challenge once, didn't we?
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:36 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:44 pm I think you should all cover a Honey Hunters album, if you want a real challenge... :lollers:
I mean, we already did a "cover another rebel's song" challenge once, didn't we?
Did you? Where?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

maybe but that's not the same as an album
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:28 pm

Did you? Where?
I may be misremembering a much older song swap from the other forum even...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 5:40 pm
I may be misremembering a much older song swap from the other forum even...
That ^^^.

I did a Rami cover forever ago as part of a "cover someone else" challenge thing at the other place.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Well shoot! We should do that as challenge 13 or 14 then!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:20 pm Well shoot! We should do that as challenge 13 or 14 then!
I would be 110% up for that. 1000%, even. We're all so precious now, in our own little environments, where we call all the shots. We've forgotten what it's like to have to compromise with another musician's input, in a real band. But that, to me, is what creates great and worthwhile music. People with vastly different viewpoints, pulling in different directions, coming together to create something that is much better than anything they would've done on their own. Showing each other how different and equally valid each other's songs could be if we let go, or worked together more with a greater acceptance of each others' styles, I think would be an extremely positive thing for us as a community.

Let's get it done.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Hmmm,
Covering another Rebel...I went as far as remixing Greg many years ago. It was a great learning experience - particularly as he gave great feed back.
Being that I collaborate quite a bit and having some of those collaborations pull a song into very new territory I can offer that working with others, even remotely, is a valuable thing in many ways - that's how it is for me.
Taking and remaking another's song is a far, far bigger step.
As a treatment for isolation it's a bit like nail fungus cream on a nose.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

rayc wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:48 pm Hmmm,
Covering another Rebel...I went as far as remixing Greg many years ago. It was a great learning experience - particularly as he gave great feed back.
Being that I collaborate quite a bit and having some of those collaborations pull a song into very new territory I can offer that working with others, even remotely, is a valuable thing in many ways - that's how it is for me.
Taking and remaking another's song is a far, far bigger step.
As a treatment for isolation it's a bit like nail fungus cream on a nose.
Learning experiences are at their best when they're cathartic. Recording Challenges. It's in the title.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 7:11 pm We've forgotten what it's like to have to compromise with another musician's input, in a real band.
Not me, I play in two really active original material bands.
Rebel Yell