New Honey Hunters - Palimpsest

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

Re: New Honey Hunters - Palimpsest

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:07 am Stick a fork in it before it's ruined. There's nothing wrong with wide drums in a recording, it's not a live gig. You have stereo earholes, give them a treat.
I'm actually just trying to work out the technical aspects of how the VST and Reaper panning interact - not changing the mix as such. I've put the toms back where they normally are by recalling a previous kit and transferring the values over. My tom work has hitherto been uncommented on in terms of width, so I'll assume it's all good. They're just now where I normally put them, which is wide enough...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:14 pm
Bubba wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:07 am Stick a fork in it before it's ruined. There's nothing wrong with wide drums in a recording, it's not a live gig. You have stereo earholes, give them a treat.
FFS, Bubba! This is a home recording, its not finished until its 6 mixes past its best. He's still has to add the Hammond organ, synth/strings and glockenspiel solo yet.
Glockenspiel you say.... hmm, there's an idea. :nyuk:

But as I said to Bubba, I'm just trying to work out something technical now - it's not really mix related.

Interestingly I was at a local coffee catchup group yesterday and some guy was telling the story of how he was at a baseball match in the US and for entertainment there was a female US-based AC/DC cover band, and that they were really good. And so someone asked the obvious question of did they play "Long Way to the Top" and the answer was "No" because #nobagpipes. That got me wondering if there was a bagpipe VSTi, so I did a quick check and yes, there is... :lollers:

Seemed a bit complex, so perhaps I'll just leave that one undownloaded. :biggrin:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You need to re-release Choose Your Weapons with a dual harmonised Glockenspiel and pipe solo.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:04 pm That got me wondering if there was a bagpipe VSTi, so I did a quick check and yes, there is... :lollers:

Seemed a bit complex, so perhaps I'll just leave that one undownloaded. :biggrin:
I built myself a bagpipe VSTi out of a chanter and reasamplomatic5k once. It's not super complex. You just have to pay attention to your drones and your key.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok i am coming in Uber late to mix #5. (Don't take it as slight i just haven't had the time to dedicate to the listening booth in a proper listening environment since Mid June)

At this junction i got nothing lol. It is a cool tune. All the Hallmarks of a good Armi song. cracking good vocals sitting in their cool little Armi space. I like the layers and harmonies on this one quite a bit. I does kind of drone on and i kind of zoned out in a semi meditative state and lost track of the story but it was a nice ride. The bells were subtle and worked like a charm. I love how you got those nestled in there. Good stuff buddy!

Though, I think you have entirely ripped off @CrowsofFritz bass performance on the Stoner Moom recording Challenge. Way to be original Armi you plagiaristic cromag!!! 🤬
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:17 am Ok i am coming in Uber late to mix #5. (Don't take it as slight i just haven't had the time to dedicate to the listening booth in a proper listening environment since Mid June)

At this junction i got nothing lol. It is a cool tune. All the Hallmarks of a good Armi song. cracking good vocals sitting in their cool little Armi space. I like the layers and harmonies on this one quite a bit. I does kind of drone on and i kind of zoned out in a semi meditative state and lost track of the story but it was a nice ride. The bells were subtle and worked like a charm. I love how you got those nestled in there. Good stuff buddy!

Though, I think you have entirely ripped off @CrowsofFritz bass performance on the Stoner Moom recording Challenge. Way to be original Armi you plagiaristic cromag!!! 🤬
Where TF is Crows anyway? Haven't seen him for a while... I feel terrible about ripping off his bass part but I expect I'll get over it in time... :lollers:

It's sort of supposed to just carry you along with it, so I'm OK with zoning out to it. There's actually Mix 6 where I'm tidying up the vocals a little but I don't think I'll put it up now. :biggrin:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:17 am
:lollers:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:17 am Ok i am coming in Uber late to mix #5. (Don't take it as slight i just haven't had the time to dedicate to the listening booth in a proper listening environment since Mid June)

Is it really similar or a joke? If the former, how do you even remember that? Lol
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:37 am
Is it really similar or a joke? If the former, how do you even remember that? Lol
I assume it has something to do with it being only one note. So yes, a joke. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:37 am

Lol, yeah. After I read the comment, I had to revisit SM to realize that it was the one note.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think we need to explore WHICH single note is being played in @CrowsofFritz tune... I mean anyone can sit on a C for a whole song, but sitting on an A, as here, is way more complex as you have to deal with the constant, grinding, existential angst of whether you should be fretting the 5th fret on the E string, or playing an open A. It gets to you ..

Not everyone has the mental fortitude to do this for almost 7 minutes without breaking down...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:37 am how do you even remember that? Lol
My short term memory is non existent. My long term memory would scare the hell out of you. I remember shit.
:happytrees:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.