Another Oddity

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Another Oddity

Post by rayc »

This one came to me after listening to Elvis Costello's version of Ship Building though my brain conflated that with Strange Fruit and I took some musical ideas from God Bless The Child. It sounded rather more like the style of Ship Building when the BIAB double bass was playing in it but I prefer to play my own where I can plus I wanted accents and different changes. The trumpet was a mess to start with but BIAB has a facility whereby I can select a bar, or multiple bars, and the prog will regenerate new parts just for that section. I can chose the part that best suits the piece. It was with this "Multiriff" part that I pieced together the trumpet track..sometimes one bar at a time & other times two. The extra useful bit of that program is that when listening to the new parts as they are generated the pervious and subsequent bars are played so that it can be heard in context. Now, the trumpet part isn't great but it's a vast improvement on what was initially offered.
I've lined up Janice Merritt to sing this one when she has time.
I've amended the lyric but haven't retracked as this is just a phrasing and very vague melody draft.
The music is BIAB for Drums, Piano & Trumpet with guitar & bass by me.
Here're the chords...mainly in A though BIAB suggests G# but it matters not.
bluesy.png
and
lyrics
Back in your arms I'd
Learn, listen & grow,
There was purpose in the meaning
I'd have to take it slow.
I'd learn through living
They'd teach me with pain.
I'd take the experience
They'd each leave a stain.
Look around you and
know where you stand.
Be sure that the soil
Is part of the land.

But be careful of
The seed that you sow
Be certain which fruit
Is going to grow
We want no death in the soil,
No blood at the root, no!

Back on the farm they'd
Reap, tend & sow,
There was effort in the weeding
But some would have to go.
They'd avoid using posion
As that'd taint the soil.
They'd put in the hours
They'd put in the toil.
Look around you and
Know where you stand.
Be sure that the soil
Is true to the land.

But be careful of
The seed that you sow.
Be certain which fruit
You've chosen to grow

Back in time they'd
Learn, listen & grow.
The fear on which they're feeding
And their anger would glow.
With their bread they were learning
Old lies, oh so plain.
Old newspapers said
There'd be nothing but pain.
They looked around and,
Took up flame & gun.
Assured that their victims
Had no place to run.

But be careful of
The seed that you sow.
In choosing which fruit
You've elected to grow

MIX ONE with Daft Draft vocal
bluejulyEbc.mp3
MIX TWO no vox amended bass
bluejulyFb.mp3
MIX THREE
I replaced the guitar part & the bass part as well. i managed to get my ancient archtop bass with flat wounds stable enough tuning wise to track something that sonically seems to suit better.
bluejulyHc.mp3
MIX FOUR with VOCAL
Blue July ONE.mp3
MASTER
MST Blue July Three.mp3
Download link
https://we.tl/t-L5yCZFuSuM
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Re: Another Oddity

Post by rayc »

New mix...Bruno Royal Artist archtop electric with wobble and Emperador archtop bass with flat wound Fender strings. Both played with gingers &/ot thumb.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

New draft vocal mix - Janice Merrit.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Done & mastered.

Oh well, zero interest across the last few songs - such is life.
Cheers
rayc
Alison

Post by Alison »

Just listening to your last mix. Cool song, different for you! You always come up with very interesting chord progressions. I really like Janice's voice, it suits the song to a "T".

You always do a good job!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Alison wrote: ↑Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:26 pm Just listening to your last mix. Cool song, different for you! You always come up with very interesting chord progressions. I really like Janice's voice, it suits the song to a "T".

You always do a good job!
Thanks Alison,
did you listen to the mastered version?
Yeah, different for me...but I've had the song that inspired it since it's release in the 80s not to mention Lady Day's Strange Fruit & God Bless The Child which I've had on LP for a veryyyyy long time.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Coming in on the mastered version Ray. The bass on this one is really kinda boomy and up front but i guess for this kind of style you'd want that hey. I can smell the cigarette smoke and perfume in the air round me.

I am pretty impressed with the trumpet from BiaB on this one man. Fooled me. I was actively trying to listen for tell tale signs of Artificial Intelligence but I found none. Impressive as it is Scary.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:36 am Coming in on the mastered version Ray. The bass on this one is really kinda boomy and up front but i guess for this kind of style you'd want that hey. I can smell the cigarette smoke and perfume in the air round me.

I am pretty impressed with the trumpet from BiaB on this one man. Fooled me. I was actively trying to listen for tell tale signs of Artificial Intelligence but I found none. Impressive as it is Scary.
Thanks Shan. Yeah, the bass is, more or less, genre appropriate trying to get the bloom of a bull fiddle.
BIAB isn't near A.I. It has a pile of notes & phrases across a pile of keys. The program selects the ones that fit the chords, tempo etc. and compiles them. After that I had to use a function called "multiriff" that allows me to pick all or a section of a solo & it will generate varieties of that to select from. The solo trumpet was done in pairs of bars and then single bars for about two hours to get what I liked & I still had to go in for some cut n paste. The quick phrases weren't as arduous. The results are good though - I agree. Most BIAB users would just grab what's 1st offered as they are, in the main, singer songwriters who simply want to get a bed for their ideas. I've been indoctrinated and drawn into the cult of some weird web page about Rebellious Recorders or some such so I bang my head against walls of sound as a form of flagellation.
Cheers
rayc
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.