Drum Audio To MIDI Voodoo.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Drum Audio To MIDI Voodoo.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This is likely a very tall order but i am curious if anyone out there has come across an app, plugin, or piece of (free)software that will convert perceived drum audio from a song (EG: A ripped wav or MP3 from a CD) and converted it to midi files.

I did minimal googling here this afternoon while in meetings and found Steven Slates Trigger 2 and it sounds like it might do what i think i'd like it to do, but hard to say really if it will or not.

Anyone have any other suggestions and/or experiences ?
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Re: Drum Audio To MIDI Voodoo.

Post by Tadpui »

A couple of us have superior drummer 3, which purports to have this feature as well. I've never used it but I could give it a whirl. Slate trigger will do the trick too.

Is it just a drum track, or a full mix? Not sure if those apps would do a very good job of detecting drums in a full mix.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:25 pm This is likely a very tall order but i am curious if anyone out there has come across an app, plugin, or piece of (free)software that will convert perceived drum audio from a song (EG: A ripped wav or MP3 from a CD) and converted it to midi files.

I did minimal googling here this afternoon while in meetings and found Steven Slates Trigger 2 and it sounds like it might do what i think i'd like it to do, but hard to say really if it will or not.

Anyone have any other suggestions and/or experiences ?
One of the guys over at HR used Trigger on The Jongleurs album to replace a poor fake snare, rendered as audio, with a better fake snare, which came to me back as audio, but I assume if it's doing it at all then it would also have the MIDI.

I'd say it does - probs not free though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

A full mix? That'd be hard to do.

If you have the isolated drums, you can use reafir and reagate, but it's kind of a PITA. (I only use it for tracks with 2-3 drums at a time)
For each drum that you want to isolate:
Send the original audio to a new channel.
Add reafir
Set mode to "subtract"
Toggle on "automatically build noise profile"
Play every drum hit except the one you want to isolate several times
Toggle off "automatically..."
Add reagate
Toggle "Send MIDI on open/close note"
Adjust your midi settigns
Dial in your gate.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:11 pm A couple of us have superior drummer 3, which purports to have this feature as well. I've never used it but I could give it a whirl. Slate trigger will do the trick too.

Is it just a drum track, or a full mix? Not sure if those apps would do a very good job of detecting drums in a full mix.
No shit! The more i hear about SD3 the more i want but i have so much invested in Peasant EZD expansions i feel like i probably shouldn't.

This would be a full mix i rip off a cd. I did come across a plugin that said it could isolate drums from an audio track but i was incredibly skeptical of it as the demo showed only one dial in the plug that when you turned it turned everything else but the drums down and you'd render the audio out from there. But i have my reservations on that especially when it was the first result returned from google. Usually a paid for by developer product placement i suspect.
Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:34 pm One of the guys over at HR used Trigger on The Jongleurs album to replace a poor fake snare, rendered as audio, with a better fake snare, which came to me back as audio, but I assume if it's doing it at all then it would also have the MIDI.

I'd say it does - probs not free though.
So what was it you sent him? or did he just help himself to your album somewhere and do this exercise as kind jesture? and you then just remixed with the new snare he managed to extract and redo ?
vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 11:29 am A full mix? That'd be hard to do.

If you have the isolated drums, you can use reafir and reagate, but it's kind of a PITA. (I only use it for tracks with 2-3 drums at a time)
For each drum that you want to isolate:
Send the original audio to a new channel.
Add reafir
Set mode to "subtract"
Toggle on "automatically build noise profile"
Play every drum hit except the one you want to isolate several times
Toggle off "automatically..."
Add reagate
Toggle "Send MIDI on open/close note"
Adjust your midi settigns
Dial in your gate.
Yes sadly this would be a full mix. I don't have isolated drums. I did bookmark a video on how to do this in reaper i am going ot give it watcgh to day but i think it is from isolated drums. Cheers. thanks VHS.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm No shit! The more i hear about SD3 the more i want but i have so much invested in Peasant EZD expansions i feel like i probably shouldn't.
I thought you could load EZD expansions into SD too?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:35 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:42 pm No shit! The more i hear about SD3 the more i want but i have so much invested in Peasant EZD expansions i feel like i probably shouldn't.
I thought you could load EZD expansions into SD too?
You can!!!

But i pulled a bunch of sneakys and bought certain expansion kits and stuff that had extra functionality and stuff to get you closer to SD wiht out spending SD money.

I'd only be cheating myself at that point. :lollers2: :lollers2:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alas I don't remember exactly what I did anymore... but it was part of a general "how do I get a better snare sound" enquiry on HR. It was actually Jimmy69 the mod who did it for me. It was most appreciated.

On a side note, now I have my own Slate drums, I use the same samples as the ones he did the track with...