Another Nirvana Cover

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Another Nirvana Cover

Post by JD01 »

Don't get much time to record, so I record songs I know how to play well! Transposed this down to Gm and put the bass in Drop D.
Pennyroyal Tea Mix 1.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: Another Nirvana Cover

Post by rayc »

Pretty good James.
I like the original & I like your version.
No complaints or nits from me.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, Ray. In Utero is probably my favourite album ever, I'll probably end up covering the whole thing.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I can hear the click before the choruses when you kick the overdrive on. Is that an edit point or the actual pedal switching over?

Mix overall sounds good.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:23 am I can hear the click before the choruses when you kick the overdrive on. Is that an edit point or the actual pedal switching over?

Mix overall sounds good.
That's the channel switch on the amp, or might be a pedal if its on the ES135 side of the mix, one side is a LP Jr into my clean/crunch channel. The other side is an ES135, but cos its lower gain the "clean" sound is on the crunch channel and the distortion is with a Klon on top. Or it might be that the Klon is the clean sound and then I switch to the overdrive channel. Can't remember.

I might redo the bassline - there's a little more to it than that my version. But I only had two hours to record and mix it. Like all of these early 90s mixes the bass is doing quite a lot melodically but you can barely fucking decipher it in the mix. I've mixed the bass way louder.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

All sounds good to me - I've heard the song, but not a fave of their canon.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

right on man. not a bad sounding mix and arrangement. I am hearing wat VHS is hearing. It is pretty obvious something is switching gears. At that point. I don't think i have any nits on the mix at this point and i better not comment as i do have one hell of a ringing in my ears from who knows what.

Which side if your new guitar on?

Hearing this makes me realize how far away in my historic timeline i actually listened to this record last.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Good sounds @JD01

This song fits your voice well. Not familiar with the original, but I like this.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:19 pm right on man. not a bad sounding mix and arrangement. I am hearing wat VHS is hearing. It is pretty obvious something is switching gears. At that point. I don't think i have any nits on the mix at this point and i better not comment as i do have one hell of a ringing in my ears from who knows what.

Hearing this makes me realize how far away in my historic timeline i actually listened to this record last.
Think its on the right.
Cheers though Shan, this is probably one of the few albums that I've not stopped listening to.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers @Armistice
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:58 pm Good sounds @JD01

This song fits your voice well. Not familiar with the original, but I like this.
The original is actually a bit on the high side, the high note in the chorus is now a D# which I hit relatively comfortably.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:09 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:19 pm right on man. not a bad sounding mix and arrangement. I am hearing wat VHS is hearing. It is pretty obvious something is switching gears. At that point. I don't think i have any nits on the mix at this point and i better not comment as i do have one hell of a ringing in my ears from who knows what.

Think its on the right.
Cheers though Shan, this is probably one of the few albums that I've not stopped listening to.
Right on. If it is the one on the right you did a good job capturing that. I find sometimes hollow bodies have a very distinct tone and i feel i can pick them out straight away but this was a bit of a challenge. it doesn't have that hollow body overtone out front and obvious. Good stuff james.

I might give the Nirvana Library a spin today it has been a good long while and my other good buddy from high school was on me to see if our Nirvana graffiti was still visible in our home time while i was on holidays.

It was not.
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

This sounds great, JD. For me, I think I would enjoy your originals more if they were perhaps less complex and more stripped-down, like this. Good stuff.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 am This sounds great, JD. For me, I think I would enjoy your originals more if they were perhaps less complex and more stripped-down, like this. Good stuff.
Cheers, I'll keep that in mind.

Think I'll end up covering all of the In Utero album eventually.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Just finally having a chance to catch up on some music here. This is really well done! Nirvana really suits your voice and I really like your drum treatment. . . I'm working on a cello quartet version of Heart Shaped Box and have added drums, I need to emulate the eq you have on your drums. Hmm, guess I'll get back to it!

Good job, I enjoyed listening to this!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.