thinking in terms of Pop psych devolving into garage psych.

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

thinking in terms of Pop psych devolving into garage psych.

Post by rayc »

I was reading a discussion about Psychedelic music in BIAB land. It was odd becasue all of the titles mentioned were pop/bubblegum psych...the commentors didn't seem to understand that the songs they heard on the radio were latter period exploitation things in the main. Incense & Peppermint was from a pretty cool album but it was built on pop sensibilities.
The O.P. wanted to collab on a "psych" song using mainly BIAB.
There's a lot that can be used for bubblegum/pop psych in that prog - even sitar - but not much in terms of good guitar sounds etc.
I pulled together a "song" based on BIAb and having looked at chord progressions and structures of a lot of popular psych in response but the O.P. fellow ignored me because I didn't agree with him about the genre.
Oh well.
Seeing as I'd done the building blocks in BIAB I went about replacing everything but the organ with me playing through bits of kit that sort of suited the style.
Only the drums and organ remain from the original.
No vocals as yet...I have an idea for the chorus but have to flesh it out beyond three words.
In the spirit of the radio I'll post a mono version tomorrow
as well as the stereo today
MIX ONE
garagepsych1507.mp3
MIX TWO MONO
garagepsych1607mono.mp3
MIX TWO STEREO
garagepsych1607stereo.mp3
MIX THREE STEREO AND calmed
garagepsychreorg.mp3
CHORDS...
garagepsych.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Re: thinking in terms of Pop psych devolving into garage psych.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Love the new naming convention! :D

So even tho I'm in a psychedelic band, I have no clue the difference between psych and pop-psych.

at 1:42, I like what you're going for with the low-passed vocals. It feels muddy tho. Maybe it needs something in the high end stacked on it?

The mix (mix 2 stereo) seems to hold together pretty well. Nothing besides the LPF vox jumped out at me

The intro reminds me a little like the intro for Love/Hate by Betty Blowtorch (That seems like a band @Greg_L might know)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Not digging the tones on this one. That scratchy almost fake sounding distortion is not pleasing to my ear.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great - I know what the latest mix is.
Guitars are a bit thin/scratchy/fizzy sounding. Bass is unusually quiet for you too, Ray.
Typical Ray style "haha, surprise!" chord sequence which is always good.

Another thing, the drums seem a bit quiet/gutless throughout - I'm not an aficionado of pop-psych though, this is the first time I've heard the term.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Agree with the other comments about the guitars - the chorused clean one I'm not liking much at all - the rhythm ones do sound a little fizzy but sort of fit in with the general fuzzy vibe. But that chorus one is setting my teeth on edge. Try a different guitar perhaps?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Only draft guitars at this point as I'm not sure it's worth pursuing...some straight D.I. and some Amp In A Box stuff.
The most distorted sound is a Big Muff clone into an ACtone...
Drums, well there weren't loud n proud often in that period of recording so I placed them in their era relative position, mind I did have the rhythm section UP for the initial tracking and enjoyed that myself so may revert to that.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:47 pm Only draft guitars at this point as I'm not sure it's worth pursuing...some straight D.I. and some Amp In A Box stuff.
The most distorted sound is a Big Muff clone into an ACtone...
Drums, well there weren't loud n proud often in that period of recording so I placed them in their era relative position, mind I did have the rhythm section UP for the initial tracking and enjoyed that myself so may revert to that.
I think it's worth pursuing. It's quite straightforward and accessible, for one of your tunes... :wink:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice one @rayc

I agree the sounds are place holders but I do like the hypnotic tremolo thing you've got going on here.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've removed some of the elements from the garage pop psych era that seemed to offend - the sitarguitar, some of the gratuitous reverb etc.
I've run the indiv guitars through Greg's cab sims, reduced the guitar bus brightening that gave it the extra fizzyfuzz and Pumped up the rhythm section.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:21 am Love the new naming convention! :D

So even tho I'm in a psychedelic band, I have no clue the difference between psych and pop-psych.

at 1:42, I like what you're going for with the low-passed vocals. It feels muddy tho. Maybe it needs something in the high end stacked on it?

The mix (mix 2 stereo) seems to hold together pretty well. Nothing besides the LPF vox jumped out at me

The intro reminds me a little like the intro for Love/Hate by Betty Blowtorch (That seems like a band @Greg_L might know)
From my own simplified and slightly fried perspective...
POP Psych...

Garage Psych

Classic Psych

Space Rock psych (a significant influence on rave culture)

Sunshine Psych

Modern psych (owing much to rave culture)
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So it seems the big difference between pop-psych and classic psyche is actually song structure.

It's like a reverse prog evolution of music.
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:52 am So it seems the big difference between pop-psych and classic psyche is actually song structure.

It's like a reverse prog evolution of music.
You could even go as far as saying that Pop Psych is a bog standard song with psych additions.
If you compare the 1st two Rodriguez albums the songs, structures and vocals are the same but on his debut the producer added some light psych elements. It was a hit with heads. The second album was straight stuff and while the songs were good the lack of excitement brought to the 1st album meant the heads didn't pick up on it...he faded away fro the next 30 years.

Cheers
rayc
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.