Bending Resistance

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Bending Resistance

Post by JD01 »

Just something I was thinking about.
Shorter scale guitars have less tension and are easier to bend on. Seems simple enough.

But when you have shorter scale guitars like a jag or ES135 that have a lot of string length between the bridge and the stop-bar this will also increase the tension won't it? My ES135 seems to require a lot off effort to bend compared to my Jr.

Similarly, if you put a left handed neck on a Strat would this make it easier to bend the higher strings?
Lt. Bob

Re: Bending Resistance

Post by Lt. Bob »

doesn't seem like it should .... by definition the tension in the 'speaking length' of a string has to be the same if the scale is the same .... it can't be any different or it would be a different pitch.
So even if there's 12 feet of string on the headstock the tension can not be any different in the section of the string you play.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've been wondering this myself. In theory it shouldn't make a difference - however if guitars were perfect machines they'd never go out of tune when bending strings - that they do indicates that it's not just the tension between two points that matters - the strings slip at least a bit over bridge and nut during the process - so does having longer excess string at either end make a difference?

And it's difficult to compare apples with apples when you have action, fretboard type and condition, fret type and condition, string type and gauge and condition as other friction variables at play on any given guitar.

Don't know the answer and don't really have any long string guitars to play around with - sort of thing muttley, wherever he's got to - would have a scientific answer for, I'm sure.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm sure there's a scientific answer. Don't know it.

I do know that bending on my Gretsch doesn't feel any stiffer or easier than anything else.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Three things change the pitch of a fixed string. Mass per unit length (gauge), sounding string length, and tension in the string. Change one of them and you change the pitch. Seeing as how you cant change the mass per unit length you can only change the sounding string length which is what you do when you fret a string and the tension which you do marginally when you bend a string (you also change the sounding length a little as well but the tension increases more relatively). The shorter the scale length the smaller the change needed to change the pitch which is why shorter scale length instruments some times feel like they are easier to bend a note on. You have less work to do for a greater shift in pitch.
muttley

Post by muttley »

On the tension of the string behind the nut or bridge thing. The tension there is exactly the same as the sounding string regardless. If the string doesn't return to it's original equilibrium after bending you are storing up tuning issues which is why it is important to make sure the string can move freely at those points and doesn't snag.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

muttley wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:21 am Seeing as how you cant change the mass per unit length
Hmmmm...

Ok, we need to develop fluid-filled strings for the uke-bass.

I don't know what kind of sonic value you'd get from squeezing your strings like a tube of toothpaste to change the pitch, but I don't like telling musicians they can't do something!
:D
muttley

Post by muttley »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 11:45 am
muttley wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:21 am Seeing as how you cant change the mass per unit length
Hmmmm...

Ok, we need to develop fluid-filled strings for the uke-bass.

I don't know what kind of sonic value you'd get from squeezing your strings like a tube of toothpaste to change the pitch, but I don't like telling musicians they can't do something!
:D
An interesting theory but a really impractical idea given the laws of fluid dynamics. :wink:

Ubass strings are interesting enough already and if you selectively change the mass per unit length of a string you'd change it's value for Youngs modulus and then you'd have all sorts of intonation problems let alone having to constantly alter your fingering and intonation on the fly. My head hurts just thinking about it. Luckily you wouldn't be able to set up a standing wave of any amplitude or attack and decay to be of any use on such a beast anyway.