Tool Recommendations

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
JD01

Tool Recommendations

Post by JD01 »

OK, I'm finally getting my head in the the space where I want to be able to slot a nut, level frets and solder for myself.
Can you recommend:
- a decent set of nut slotting files
- a decent soldering iron, while I'm crap at soldering I think my soldering iron is also shit.
- fret levelling beam.
- sanding papers/cloths.

I'm not interesting in buying another expensive Fender - I'd rather just knock one together myself out of bits - the nicest playing Fenders I've ever had were both fucking dogs when I got them but then I got them well set up.

I'm sure these are very nice... but they're also very expensive!
https://www.crimsonguitars.com/collecti ... ting-files
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Tool Recommendations

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Last i checked Amazon sells Hosco nut slotting files. At a quick glance Crimsons price is about on par with what the amazon price within cents. The thing with nut slotting files is keeping in mind your string gauge. Or as close to as possible. So if you are a poser like me and use the same kind of strings on every guitar you own one set of files will be fine for you, if you mix and match across guitars your investment get's a bit deeper.

Soldering: a Weller soldering station, or something you can afford kind of thing is likely the way to go in my opinion. affords you some freedom and control versus just a one trick pony that plugs into the wall and may or may not have a high or low setting. Something you can change out tips on and have a bit of temp control over helps. Pots are bitch with those one trick one heat setting irons.

If you get into levelling beams you are going to need crowning tools as well as a bunch of other sutff if you decide to go barking up that tree. Once you level you'll have to recrown, then start dressing polishing and manicuring etc. All requires their own aides.

I feel like if you are going to go thru and do all this i would advise you to NOT do what i did and piece meal stuff as you need it and look around and get yourself a set up kit all at once. I am sure if you called your boyfriend at Crimson, chances are good he probably has packages put together for exactly what you are after. At least in terms of setting up and maintaining your guitars.

Think something like this, not exactly this but something like it. and from crimson. I know he used ot have a store that sold bundles of stuff.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-a ... e-tool-set
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's not a bad shout actually. I'll call them and ask.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just had a really good chat with Crimson.
They do a the complete fretwork toolkit
https://www.crimsonguitars.com/collecti ... ng-toolkit
And obviously there's their nut slotting files.

Also, she said "why don't you come down for the 2 day course on set up, fret levelling and nut slotting." Which is actually quite appealing. Make it into a mini-holiday, actually learn how to do this shit properly.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:40 am Just had a really good chat with Crimson.
They do a the complete fretwork toolkit
https://www.crimsonguitars.com/collecti ... ng-toolkit
And obviously there's their nut slotting files.

Also, she said "why don't you come down for the 2 day course on set up, fret levelling and nut slotting." Which is actually quite appealing. Make it into a mini-holiday, actually learn how to do this shit properly.
Do it. I wouldn't even think twice about it man. I would love an opportunity like that.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:41 pm Do it. I wouldn't even think twice about it man. I would love an opportunity like that.
Yeah, it could actually be quite fun. I'm gonna ask my mrs about it tonight.
I said to the Crimson woman on the phone that I'd have to check with the Mrs (I'm assuming she's Ben's mrs as she also had a strong African accent) to see if I could get away for a selfish holiday when we have young kids and she just told me that I should bring them down, they'd set us up with an Air B&B and they could have a holiday too.