NOAFCD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: NOAFCD

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:26 pm I used the shitty phone dB meter. In my office on 1W mode my HK nudges 100db.
That makes sense. One watt at one meter with a Vintage 30 should be right at 100db. That's exactly what they're rated at.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

It's loud enough to be fun but not do too much damage anyway.

I just thought you'd be curious as to which of your amps was the loudest. I take your point about lava being hot enough regardless though!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:29 pm It's loud enough to be fun but not do too much damage anyway.

I just thought you'd be curious as to which of your amps was the loudest. I take your point about lava being hot enough regardless though!
I never use them at their loudest though. Well, sometimes I record them that way. But usually they're like big gig loud...or maybe a hair more loud. I don't literally *crank* them all the way till they can't go no more. I wholeheartedly dispute the trendy internet groupthink about small amps being better for the studio...or anything else. They are not. That's a myth perpetuated by inexperienced bedroom players and youtube personalities. A big amp turned down sounds better than a tiny amp running for it's life.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have a dB meter. I don't bother measuring music though.
The vent on the side reminds me of my 1st amp, (YES, I still have it...bought in 1981 or 2). It fried at a rehearsal. I had it looked at and when it was eventually returned a year later it had blown a fuse and burnt a couple of bits due to a overheating as well as the fuse failure. It is a completely sealed box with an 80 watt transistor amp inside. I had to drill/cut out a section of the box to make a vent. Crude but it works. Mind you that amp hasn't seen a lot of work since about 1990.
Your planned changes seem minimalist & prudent.
Were you band mates impressed?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: ↑Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:59 pm
Were you band mates impressed?
Ha I don't know. The other guitar player is. They like my wild stories of how I come across these kinds of deals and they like being able to see and hear stuff like this but overall they are not into the minutia like I am. To them, like most people, it's just a Marshall.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Glad this all came together for you bruvs. I am super stoked to hear it. I can't think of a better home for it honestly and I just really couldn't let him flip it to just any ol body on reverb. I knew where it needed to go. And my spider sense was definitely tingling when you expressed interest in sending it down there!! Ha!

If you ever flip this though I'll expect a 5% finders fee. 🀌🀌🀣

So, I'm just regurgiating what I was told last year but the CSA body in the 70's was responsible for some cool stuff. Most notably Canadian Hiwatts in the 70's were highly sought after for some reason my brain has let go of just because of how they (CSA) wanted them built or something. I would think it stands to reason that there might be a little bit of that weird voodoo at play in this amp as well for the same reasons.

Post tones. 🀘🀘🀘
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:07 pm

So, I'm just regurgiating what I was told last year but the CSA body in the 70's was responsible for some cool stuff. Most notably Canadian Hiwatts in the 70's were highly sought after for some reason my brain has let go of just because of how they (CSA) wanted them built or something. I would think it stands to reason that there might be a little bit of that weird voodoo at play in this amp as well for the same reasons.

Post tones. 🀘🀘🀘
This amp isn't out of the norm though. The only thing about it that really deviates from other amps from this time period is the laydown transformer. Why they used one of those, I don't know. My assumption is they just had them laying around as leftovers from the Plexi era which could explain the higher than usual internal B+ voltages. Oh and the white plastic shaft pots. No idea on those. I'm not sure if either of those things are "CSA" though. Otherwise the amp is a perfectly normal typical example of a mid-70s JMP-era Marshall. Some of the CSA stuff they did to later Marshalls is crazy bonkers though. For one, they put everything on a fuse. There's about a dozen fuses inside an 80s Canadian Marshall. They also omitted the 16 ohm tap for fear of too much voltage. :confused: :cuckoo: They did keep the metal power and standby toggles though, so one point for 80s CSA on that one.

Tones coming this week.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I have a phone dB meter too. It's surprising how soft relatively high numbers are - I assume dB are also logarithmic? Never thought of testing it against an amp, though...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: ↑Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:56 pm I have a phone dB meter too. It's surprising how soft relatively high numbers are - I assume dB are also logarithmic? Never thought of testing it against an amp, though...
It is logarithmic. Every ten decibels is perceived as twice as loud. If casual conversation is 60dB and a jet engine taking off is 125dB, the jet isn't twice as loud. It's like 64 times as loud.
Rebel Yell