Alesis Q Mini installation prob.

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
rayc

Alesis Q Mini installation prob.

Post by rayc »

Hello Brainstrust.
I bought an Alesis Q mini MIDI keyboard to trigger some Mellotron .wav files that I usually cut n paste into projects.
I followed the Reaper & Alesis instructions but get an error message of N/A!!!ENABLED the unit is recognised by name but doesn't send a signal through to the MIDI enabled track.
I do have ZOOM R16 installed as MIDI DAW controlled, (allows me a more remote option when tracking).
Any suggestions?
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: Alesis Q Mini installation prob.

Post by Armistice »

I think the problem we all have with MIDI is we use it so rarely we can't remember how stuff is done. I bought a Nektar something or other and it was pretty much plug and play. Doesn't help you, I know...

I take it you've worked through whatever Alessis have to offer? https://support.alesis.com/en/support/s ... connection
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've sort of sorted it.
There seems to be a problem with Reaper throwing up that message for all sorts of reasons.
I managed to get things happening yesterday with a Reaper VSTi - Reasynth - as the sound source as well as Cellofan. Seems I need to have the track record button light up to get a signal as I'm aiming for recording the audio at the end of the audio message to sampler.
I've installed Sitala and have to use the keys it directs on the bottom of it to play the tron I load into it...seems I might get there eventually.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

I had some success with the process.
Reaper recognised the keyboard.
It's a little thing - the size of a computer keyboard and 32 keys.
Qmini_Ortho_Web.jpg
size.JPG
I tested it with Cellofan - which is one of only two VSTis in my computer.
I used the keyboard to play the samples of the Cfan and recorded the audio output. Simple enough and quite a decent sound.
I then tried it with .wav samples using Sitala as the host on the track. I used the keys as recommended by Sitala and that was pretty good though triggering the sample plays the sample for the full length of it - at seven secs that's not useful. Sitala has some simple tools to mod the sample - tone, level, length, shape etc and they work pretty well after some experimenting but does lock on into using the modded length so it may require multiple hits for the desired length.
I know there are heaps of VSTis out there and that triggering samples is fraught with complications so I will continue to investigate.
For the moment the AUS $50 keyboard is pretty good...I was also surprised at how quickly I remember which key was which note...something I'll have forgotten by the time I come to use it for a project I'm sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
rayc