Mildly annoying buzz

General recording topics.
JD01

Mildly annoying buzz

Post by JD01 »

Noticed an annoying buzz on the weekend.

Notable on all channels, whether pedals are on or off. However, if I stick a bare toe on one of my pedals it goes away, although it doesn't happened if I put a toe on the channel selector. Also, if I touch my laptop it goes away.

My first thought was dodgy patch cable, but could this just be a noisy room, two laptops running, spare monitor, amp, pedal board, piano...
Lt. Bob

Re: Mildly annoying buzz

Post by Lt. Bob »

if touching something makes it go away then it's a ground .... question ... are your pedals plugged into the same outlet as the amp?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:59 am if touching something makes it go away then it's a ground .... question ... are your pedals plugged into the same outlet as the amp?
No, they're in a different socket. My pedal board has its own socket actually, its not even on a strip or tower.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:52 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 10:59 am if touching something makes it go away then it's a ground .... question ... are your pedals plugged into the same outlet as the amp?
No, they're in a different socket. My pedal board has its own socket actually, its not even on a strip or tower.
Then try plugging the amp and pedals into the same socket ...... that could very easily take care of it ..... not guaranteed but very often that causes a buzz ..... ground loop .... that's always the very first thing I look at, amp and pedals or even an amp plugged direct into a mixer on different outlets.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:52 am
We just had this conversation about getting giant power strips to plug all your gear into one outlet!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll have a faff about with it tomorrow. Its just been fine up to now and and I don't know where its come from.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:40 pm I'll have a faff about with it tomorrow. Its just been fine up to now and and I don't know where its come from.
Your new guitar only? Or all your guitars?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:44 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:40 pm I'll have a faff about with it tomorrow. Its just been fine up to now and and I don't know where its come from.
Actually, hadn't thought of that. I'll have a look
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:44 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:44 pm

Actually, hadn't thought of that. I'll have a look
Circle back with us on that, won't you. :sherlock:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, messing with recording tones this morning - I'm pretty sure this is something to do with patch cables in the front half of my pedal board.
As I started trying to record, things just puttered out and stopped - I thought "Oh fuck, tube death" (How long would you expect EL84s to last?)

So I plugged by cable straight into the front of the amp - It lives! And I recorded some tones with less noise than before. Also, it shows that the patch cables on my FX loop pedals are fine, I didn't mess with that intentionally.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ergh, just took the board apart and put it back together again - now everything works. This is obviously a fuckup waiting to irritate me again in future.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:36 am OK, messing with recording tones this morning - I'm pretty sure this is something to do with patch cables in the front half of my pedal board.
As I started trying to record, things just puttered out and stopped - I thought "Oh fuck, tube death" (How long would you expect EL84s to last?)
pretty much forever in an amp that just gets used around the house for recording and practicing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:14 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 7:36 am OK, messing with recording tones this morning - I'm pretty sure this is something to do with patch cables in the front half of my pedal board.
pretty much forever in an amp that just gets used around the house for recording and practicing.
Excellent
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ah, the dreaded intermittent fault. :frown: Good luck with that. Did you put every patch cable back connecting exactly the same things it did before, or did you change things around? And how many are there anyway?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm Ah, the dreaded intermittent fault. :frown: Good luck with that. Did you put every patch cable back connecting exactly the same things it did before, or did you change things around? And how many are there anyway?
I might have changed a couple of them around - basically, I worked out that the problem was in the front half of the board. Then I gradually connected my pedals up one at a time in reverse order - guitar into flanger, guitar into phaser then flanger etc. until I got back to the tuner. It carried on working. Although the mildly annoying buzz returned.