The Nashville Sound

General recording topics.
paulman

The Nashville Sound

Post by paulman »

So I was curious as to what kind of reverb they used in RCA Studio B, which was ground zero for the "Nashville Sound" in the late '50s and '60s. Patsy Cline, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Willie Nelson, the Everly Brothers... just a few of the many country and early rock and roll artists that recorded there. I found my answer in this really cool article that I thought ya'll might get some useful nuggets out of even if you don't care about country. I found this paragraph particularly inspiring:

"Studio B, while custom-built for RCA and state-of-the-art in many ways, still had plenty of issues and quickly hacked fixes. The frequency build-ups in parts of the room were so bad that Porter hung cheap fiberglass panels from the ceiling and marked the best, deadest spots on the floor with Xs. So if your home recording environment is less-than-ideal, don't be discouraged—just learn the particularities of your room and do what you can to mitigate problems."

So if one of the most fabled studios in history, where something like 60% of country hits from the 60's were recorded, had terrible acoustics, then maybe I can figure out how to do okay in the laundry room/cat bathroom that my studio currently inhabits.

By the way, the answer to my reverb question is EMT 140, which is the reverb I've been using for years as a UAD plugin. The article also mentions both of my Avantone mics (a tube condenser and a ribbon) as affordable ways to get that crisp, clear, smooth vocal sound Studio B is known for. So if I did want to record a song in that style, I'm a large part of the way there.

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-get-the- ... ome-studio
JD01

Re: The Nashville Sound

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 am So I was curious as to what kind of reverb they used in RCA Studio B, which was ground zero for the "Nashville Sound" in the late '50s and '60s. Patsy Cline, Elvis Presley, Roy Orbison, Willie Nelson, the Everly Brothers... just a few of the many country and early rock and roll artists that recorded there. I found my answer in this really cool article that I thought ya'll might get some useful nuggets out of even if you don't care about country. I found this paragraph particularly inspiring:

"Studio B, while custom-built for RCA and state-of-the-art in many ways, still had plenty of issues and quickly hacked fixes. The frequency build-ups in parts of the room were so bad that Porter hung cheap fiberglass panels from the ceiling and marked the best, deadest spots on the floor with Xs. So if your home recording environment is less-than-ideal, don't be discouraged—just learn the particularities of your room and do what you can to mitigate problems."

So if one of the most fabled studios in history, where something like 60% of country hits from the 60's were recorded, had terrible acoustics, then maybe I can figure out how to do okay in the laundry room/cat bathroom that my studio currently inhabits.

By the way, the answer to my reverb question is EMT 140, which is the reverb I've been using for years as a UAD plugin. The article also mentions both of my Avantone mics (a tube condenser and a ribbon) as affordable ways to get that crisp, clear, smooth vocal sound Studio B is known for. So if I did want to record a song in that style, I'm a large part of the way there.

https://reverb.com/news/how-to-get-the- ... ome-studio
You mean we have to actually learn and practice? We can't just throw money at our problems. Shit.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:13 am
You mean we have to actually learn and practice? We can't just throw money at our problems. Shit.
I'm already bad at all my instruments! Being bad at recording is just so much more work!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:03 pm
I'm already bad at all my instruments! Being bad at recording is just so much more work!
I concentrate on guitar. Then I'll only be truly shit once.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Your studio is in the laundry, where the cat litter is? Ewwww..... :eep:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

One of the ways I'm reducing reflections in my studio is by wearing ugg boots, it being winter and all.

I'm sure it's making a huge difference and I feel much warmer when recording, which obviously translates to the sound. :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:48 pm One of the ways I'm reducing reflections in my studio is by wearing ugg boots, it being winter and all.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:11 pm
Armistice wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:48 pm One of the ways I'm reducing reflections in my studio is by wearing ugg boots, it being winter and all.
I still have the stomach of a teen... :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have in the house slippers, around the exterior of the house slippers and actual doing things boots.
I have the stomach of a teen though somewhat distended.
Cheers
rayc
paulman

Post by paulman »

You sure can. I bought a harmonica set, now I sound way better at everything else I play by comparison!
paulman

Post by paulman »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:46 pm Your studio is in the laundry, where the cat litter is? Ewwww..... :eep:
Well the litter box is actually in a bathroom that we don't use, but yeah. That's the least of my problems with that room, though.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm sure it's making a huge difference and I feel much warmer when recording, which obviously translates to the sound. :lollers:
To me it sounds muddy. Maybe you should move out of the mud room