NHTMHMMS day - Slate VSX Impressions

General recording topics.
musicturtle

NHTMHMMS day - Slate VSX Impressions

Post by musicturtle »

Adding thoughts and impresssions to the thread

Yep, that's it.

New Headphones That May Help My Mixing Situation Day :cuckoo:

As most of you do, I have an area of our house that I use for music production. Well, I actually have two, the corner of the living room and the garage.
Neither is a good area to mix in, got a little money for some extra things I do at school, so I got these coming.

It's actually software with dedicated cans to emulate a non-headphone listening environment. Steven Slate seems to have good sounding stuff, we will see how it goes.

$300 US...I could pay a lot more for nice monitors to go in my corner, I decided on this instead.

Steven Slate Audio VSX
images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by musicturtle on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulman

Re: NHTMHMMS day

Post by paulman »

I would like to know how this works out for you. My studio space is awful.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

paulman wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:26 pm I would like to know how this works out for you. My studio space is awful.
I have seen pretty much only good things about them, and as I edited in above, not a huge investment at $300.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice, you'll have to give us the lowdown on how these work for you after you've done a few projects. I've heard great things about those cans, and most of Slate's stuff in general too. Enjoy and have fun!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Awesome. I'd love to hear how these go for you.
I currently cross reference my mixes between monitors and two pairs of headphones.

Would be lovely to mix exclusively on monitors but, like most people my mixing environment is compromised.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think we're stretching the N..... thread titles a little further than we need to ... :biggrin:

Good luck with them. I'm shit at mixing on headphones. Everything sounds awful, can't get volumes or EQs right, etc. etc. etc.

Mainly used in editing for me.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Get used to them and then pop a review vid or essay please.
Oh,
I saw an interesting vid a couple of days ago about the problem zone with near field monitors.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:12 am I think we're stretching the N..... thread titles a little further than we need to ... :biggrin:
Never you mind. This is perfect. get Back to your kitchen!!

First i heard of these @musicturtle so nice find. Will be cool to hear what you can do with them. to be frank, when i listen to your mixes there is nothing in them that gives nay ki9nd of indication you have than less than desirable mixing conditions. Says a great deal about your ear !!! :like: :like:

Looking forward to f9ollow ups.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:30 pm
Armistice wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:12 am I think we're stretching the N..... thread titles a little further than we need to ... :biggrin:
First i heard of these @musicturtle so nice find. Will be cool to hear what you can do with them. to be frank, when i listen to your mixes there is nothing in them that gives nay ki9nd of indication you have than less than desirable mixing conditions. Says a great deal about your ear !!! :like: :like:
Thank WJ...my main hope is it cuts down on runs to different rooms and to the car to see how the mix turned out.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:22 am Get used to them and then pop a review vid or essay please.
Oh,
I saw an interesting vid a couple of days ago about the problem zone with near field monitors.
That is an interesting video. I know there are certain frequencies I just don't hear. I can still feel them if that makes any sense. Around 10k is when it happens, probably ear damage from the AC/DC concert 40 years ago that left my ears ringing for for two days. :lollers:
musicturtle

Re: NHTMHMMS day - Slate VSX Impressions

Post by musicturtle »

First impressions here...with photos

Cans are comfortable and cancel outside sound quite well.

Comes with detachable cable, easy fix if cable goes bad.

Interesting idea to listen on the phones to reference mixs for an hour before mixing, it did take a little while to get accustomed to the sound.

On first listen, I am pretty amazed by this tech. Below I put a screen shot of the "room" like best so far. On the "Nearfield" setting, if I close my eyes I swear I am listening to my computer speakers without headphones on. Being that is my only true A/B for testing their accuracy, I am feeling confident in the other listening evironments.

One thing for sure, you cannot use these headphones without the software, not a good sound. But with the "Level Match Bypass" button you can here the mix totally flat and at the same level as the mix. But turning the plugin off in your DAW to bypass will not work for any type of A/B comparisons because the headphones need the software to have appropriate sound.
20230612_204255D (2).jpg
20230612_204347D.jpg
20230613_092436D.jpg
20230613_092545D.jpg
Screenshot (2).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Do they compensate for hearing loss on one side? I suppose that'd be the stereo balance control.
I'd lack confidence that I had the right settings...I lack the confidence to know if I have a good guitar tone so I this isn't any different.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This actually sounds quite interesting. Could be a great way of mixing in a small compromised space