Epiphone Hummingbird and a string rabbit hole

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
musicturtle

Re: Epiphone Hummingbird and a string rabbit hole

Post by musicturtle »

Sorry to hear about your loss @paulman

I have used Martin light gauge strings for as long as I can remember.

On my Martin dreadnought I tend to like the 80/20s better than the phosphor bronze. They're a bit brighter. I use the phosphor bronze on my school guitar(a Takamine dreadnought as well) as I strum more there, so the added warmness is easier to my ear(also they tend to last a little longer). With that big body on the Hummingbird I would think the 80/20s would sound great.
paulman

Post by paulman »

musicturtle wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:11 pm Sorry to hear about your loss @paulman

I have used Martin light gauge strings for as long as I can remember.

On my Martin dreadnought I tend to like the 80/20s better than the phosphor bronze. They're a bit brighter. I use the phosphor bronze on my school guitar(a Takamine dreadnought as well) as I strum more there, so the added warmness is easier to my ear(also they tend to last a little longer). With that big body on the Hummingbird I would think the 80/20s would sound great.
Thank you @musicturtle.

Yeah, I haven't yet decided which type is right for me and this guitar. I did try some Stringjoy 80/20s, and they were okay but not spectacular. I read really good things about Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20s, but they don't make them anymore. Just phosphor bronze, which sounded great but the quality seemed to be shit.

I just put John Pearse phosphor bronze on the Hummingbird, and they sound pretty solid. I think once they wear in and lose the new string jangle they just might be the one. Or at least better than anything I've tried yet.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 am no idea ..... light or extra light.
This surprises me. I wouldn't have expected this. :happytrees: In a good way. I had you pegged as big meaty acoustic string kind of guy.
:happytrees:
paulman

Post by paulman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:47 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:48 am no idea ..... light or extra light.
This surprises me. I wouldn't have expected this. :happytrees: In a good way. I had you pegged as big meaty acoustic string kind of guy.
I thought the same thing.

There's one small drawback for me with switching to heavier strings: I can't bend them for shit. I'm pretty sure there's only one song I play on acoustic that involves string bends, but it's one I love doing and always goes over well live. It's Funky Monks by Red Hot Chili Peppers. But I've been listening to a lot of Sturgill Simpson and Tyler Childers, and I love the massive tone they get from their acoustics. I'm chasing a sound somewhere in that neighborhood.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I owned an acoustic back in the 90s, a Guild D25 that had a "turtle back"...huge guitar...but a great big sound as well.

Anything lighter than medium strings didn't do it justice. But man it was hell on my fingers.