Anyone Own a Baritone Gtr?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Anyone Own a Baritone Gtr?

Post by rayc »

New song idea spurred by Greg fab solo in G.O.M.
It's only a rough arrangement with pedal in a box stuff to get an idea of what I want to do.
I used my ancient Bruno single coil as well as a Vox in a Box, rem & Spring Reverb pedals.
In my head I heard a baritone guitar...I tried BIAb and they have them but I loathe the style of the player - a country session star named Brent Mason.
I tried to get a rough idea with the Bruno and low strings.
I spent some time looking at the chords of famous songs and noted that Careless Whisper has very few chords and very little structure. Didn't help me much but I did come up with this...
Spaghetti Puppets:
Spaghetti Puppets 3.mp3
Based on a few listens and Stephen's comment here's a slight remix. It'll do as a recording template and to spin until I get a melody/lyric idea:
Spaghetti Puppets 3b.mp3
I've replaces all but one rhythm part with tracks through an amp & mic.
I reduced the depth on the trem for the accent but haven;t redone the "solo" as yet...I'll have to learn it properly.
I added a 2nd held part & a 2nd chug.
Spaghetti Puppets 4.mp3
Stuffing about trying to make the intro blend & added some acoustic stuff.
Spaghetti Puppets 5.mp3
I've reworked the "solos" and tracked them without a trem pedal - trouble getting the depth n speed right.
Added some "sweeteners" to give it a vaguely baroque pop vibe.
Spaghetti Puppets 7.mp3
Updated...I've found a setting on a VST trem that seems to work.
Spaghetti Puppets 8.mp3
Alternate last chorus arrangement B & C.
From the 2.30 mark which works best?
Spaghetti Puppets 8skB.mp3
Spaghetti Puppets 8skC.mp3
Well, left to my own devices I split some difference and made some other changes.
I THINK I should leave it now until there's a vocal...
Spaghetti Puppets 8skCd.mp3
This one has a draft melody, sketch vocal & lyrics...
Spaghetti Puppets 9Eb.mp3
The Spaghetti Puppets

V1 No, there's nothing to say,
When your mind's made up,
It's down to you.
No, no reason to stay,
For me & you

C1 The age of entitlement,
Eclipsed the age of enlightenment.
The age of conspiracy,
Eclipsed the age of you & me.
It comes - to this. It's down to you.

V2 No, there's nothing to do,
When the time is up,
It's up to you.
No, you know that it's true,
The truth we knew.

C2 The age of entitlement,
The rage for conspiracy
Eclipsed believability.
It's comes - to this. For all we knew.

V3 No, there's nothing to change,
When the jig is up,
There are no tricks.
No, now reason is gone,
We cannot fix.

C3 The age of entitlement,
The aging conspiracy
Eclipsed the grasp of history.
It's come - to this. Nought we can do.

C4 The age of entitlement

The age of conspiracy

It's come - to this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:34 am, edited 11 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Re: Anyone Own a Baritone Gtr?

Post by Greg_L »

That sounds like it could be a mid-era Pixies song.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I have a bari-uke and a couple of what could be called bari-basses, but no bari guitars I'm afraid.

Mix wise, I wouldn't mind seeing that lead tremolo tamed a little. The depth is so much that it sounds more like the mix is pumping.

I get the Wicked Game inspiration here, yeah... reading back, I see that you said Careless Whisper, so I guess it kinda sounds like a mix between those two songs. :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:54 am That sounds like it could be a mid-era Pixies song.
Deal or No Deal?
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:13 pm I have a bari-uke and a couple of what could be called bari-basses, but no bari guitars I'm afraid.
Mix wise, I wouldn't mind seeing that lead tremolo tamed a little. The depth is so much that it sounds more like the mix is pumping.
I get the Wicked Game inspiration here, yeah... reading back, I see that you said Careless Whisper, so I guess it kinda sounds like a mix between those two songs. :D
Bummer all the bari's but the one I need. How about a baritone singing voice?
I plugged into the trem but didn't touch the dials and was pushing the level in the DAW becasue the trem lines kept slipping beneath the bass...experiment and needs replacing on SOOOOOOOOOO many levels.
WG - yes, any slowly racked minor chord seems to give that vibe.
Cheers
rayc
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

If you have an old short scale bass, you can easily convert it into a "baritone" guitar, a new bridge and six machineheads, and Bob's yer uncle. If you want to stick with 4 strings it just restricts the range a bit. I did a conversion on an old bass and it worked out quite nicely. It's all in bits at the moment so not much use to you I'm afraid.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:20 am
Deal or No Deal?
More like Trompe le Monde era, so end of Deal.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CeeBee wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:53 am If you have an old short scale bass, you can easily convert it into a "baritone" guitar, a new bridge and six machineheads, and Bob's yer uncle. If you want to stick with 4 strings it just restricts the range a bit. I did a conversion on an old bass and it worked out quite nicely. It's all in bits at the moment so not much use to you I'm afraid.
Well, if you describe it that way, that's basically what the Abomination I use on most of my recordings is. (Tho, it's only D2 to D3 strings, so very restricted range)
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:43 am
rayc wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:20 am
Deal or No Deal?
More like Trompe le Monde era, so end of Deal.
More a Frank Black thing then.
I should get out my Tele knock off and add some hyper active, won't shut up, lead.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

CeeBee wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:53 am If you have an old short scale bass, you can easily convert it into a "baritone" guitar, a new bridge and six machineheads, and Bob's yer uncle. If you want to stick with 4 strings it just restricts the range a bit. I did a conversion on an old bass and it worked out quite nicely. It's all in bits at the moment so not much use to you I'm afraid.
Four string based on a short scale bass...I could do that - but I won't.
Bummer it's in pieces.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I keep waffling on wanting to add a new guitar to my fray all the time. Eastwood has a Baritone Sidejack in left handed models that i keep a watch on for sales but they only ever seem to go on sale for 5% off at best really. I still think it would be a cool addition.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:42 pm I keep waffling on wanting to add a new guitar to my fray all the time. Eastwood has a Baritone Sidejack in left handed models that i keep a watch on for sales but they only ever seem to go on sale for 5% off at best really. I still think it would be a cool addition.
Good brand but a mere 5% wouldn't swing me...I'm cheap.
I know a bloke who recently acquired an Eastman double neck - guitar & bass.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:07 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:42 pm I keep waffling on wanting to add a new guitar to my fray all the time. Eastwood has a Baritone Sidejack in left handed models that i keep a watch on for sales but they only ever seem to go on sale for 5% off at best really. I still think it would be a cool addition.
Same. Cheap as hell over here haha.

Anyways, just now actually saw there is musical content here. Song is very cool Ray. I went thru the evolution of it as i so often do with yours and it has come along pretty nicely. I think once we get some lyrics into it i's going to blossom nicely. The acoustic was a really nice touch too. great addition.
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:11 pm Same. Cheap as hell over here haha.
Anyways, just now actually saw there is musical content here. Song is very cool Ray. I went thru the evolution of it as i so often do with yours and it has come along pretty nicely. I think once we get some lyrics into it i's going to blossom nicely. The acoustic was a really nice touch too. great addition.
Thanks Shan,
I wrote some lyrics yesterday but they were a) rubbish & b) didn't fit. That's what I get for writing after the music and without listening to it as I did.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Updated
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I saw an email for that just a few minutes ago .... apparently a new model or color or somethin'

699 isn't bad but for something I might not use much ? .... dunno
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:08 pm
I saw an email for that just a few minutes ago .... apparently a new model or color or somethin'

699 isn't bad but for something I might not use much ? .... dunno
They are really on top of their email marketing yea.

Yea the price is kind of wild.

Speaking of price i have been toying with the notion of possibly getting into one of those Harley Benton offerings. they do have some cool stuff for somehow insanely low prices Might be a great way for me to try out an actual left handed guitar for dirt cheap. Something i have been wanting to try for a long time.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:29 pm Speaking of price i have been toying with the notion of possibly getting into one of those Harley Benton offerings. they do have some cool stuff for somehow insanely low prices Might be a great way for me to try out an actual left handed guitar for dirt cheap. Something i have been wanting to try for a long time.
I've been using my HB rick clone as my go-to bass for covers gigs. It works pretty well, but I did spend $200-300 replacing the bridge, getting it setup, etc to make it really fit my style. (It's veeeery long scale. Difficult to find strings for!)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:07 pm

How much sway would 40% off be though @rayc ? :eep: :eep: :eep:

At the time of this posting +/-17ish hours left of the sale.

They have one not appealing option in the lefty model so i have to pass unfortunately. I wouldn't have even given it a moment thought at all if they had a lefty model in that Sonic Blue. That is sexy as hell and for +/-550CAD it would be a no brainer. Heartbeat impulse buy really. Sadly i can't get on with that color green. 👎
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:43 pm Sadly i can't get on with that color green. 👎
To be sure, to be sure... :wink: