Bass String Recommendation

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
musicturtle

Bass String Recommendation

Post by musicturtle »

What are your favorite bass strings?

Gotta get some and haven't them in a while.

Thanks!
CrowsofFritz

Re: Bass String Recommendation

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Rounds or flats?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Rounds
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I have less experience with rounds. I think I used Ernie Ball regulars (the green pack), but given I normally work with flats, I can’t give good recs.

Is this for a P bass?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Since I've been so enamored with NYXL strings on all of my electric guitars, I tried their electric bass strings as well (roundwound). Honestly I have no idea if they're better or worse than any others...that's the only time in my life I've ever put new strings on a bass :D That was about 5 years ago, and they're still on the bass!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Thanks guys...

@Greg_L propably try those, I like their guitar strings

@CrowsofFritz nah my bass is low end Yamaha, probably next on my list of things to aquire is a mid-level bass.

@Tadpui yeah, I understand. I bought this Yamaha RBX170 used for like $90 when I got my first interface in 2016. It's got a few issues with overtones or something, especially on the open E. Realized I have never changed the strings from the ones that were on it when I got it. Figure I would start there and do a little set up work on it. See if that helps before I look into spending for a new one.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I might restring my bass at some point... maybe
rayc

Post by rayc »

On one bass I have Fender flats on the others it's whatever I can get at the time Ernie Ball's are nice to use though.
Don't be too hard on your Yamaha...they make good stuff even low end.
E string overtones? Try the old foam mute trick it does a million good things.
New strings won't make too much difference I suspect. They'll sound brighter but I like mine worn in.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:32 pm On one bass I have Fender flats on the others it's whatever I can get at the time Ernie Ball's are nice to use though.
Don't be too hard on your Yamaha...they make good stuff even low end.
E string overtones? Try the old foam mute trick it does a million good things.
New strings won't make too much difference I suspect. They'll sound brighter but I like mine worn in.
Thanks Ray, never heard of the foam trick. Gonna try that today.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've been using Musician's Gear rounds since I was a broke college student (since it was the only way to get B-strings for less than $25 a pack back in 2006). I've also been using JustStrings.com branded ones since that's a good for alternate tunings.
It looks like the MG ones are discontinued, so I might be switching fully to juststrings soon.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I made the switch to NYXL bass strings two years ago. Best thing i ever did. They still sound brand new, and have that nice spanky snap i want in a bass string. They are a little more rigid than what i used to play (Fender basic Bitch offerings) but i also found that with the NYXL guitar strings. Just a bit more tough to fumble with. But sound excellent.
:happytrees:
paulman

Post by paulman »

I use La Bella strings. I'd tell you the exact type but they're flatwounds and you use rounds so I guess it doesn't matter. They're also on the expensive side. In buying and customizing my bass, I sought advice from my virtuoso bass player friend, and he recommended those. I don't really have enough experience with bass strings to compare, but I really love playing these. I think my Ibanez bass was less than $400, but with EMG pickups and these strings, it sounds and plays above its pay grade.