Fake mid-side

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Re: Fake mid-side

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:46 pm
But we don't do weird recording techniques because they're the best plan, do we? :D
Ha I don't really do weird recording techniques at all. I'm in the stick-to-the-tried-and-true camp.

Having said that I guess it is pretty weird by today's standard to mic things at all. I mean I even mic bass guitar. Damn near no one does that anymore.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I record lots of guitar stuff in stereo where there's a stereo effect on it, otherwise mono. But on the stereo tracks I do use the wideness control to control the width.

Never actually thought about overheads though I'll admit. I try not to have toms more than about 40% out, and even less if there's lots of tom action going on. Usually it's less, but it depends upon what's going on. They're mono tracks panned anyway.

I do remember years and years ago asking people to send me tracks of themselves reading or singing a particular line - think I was putting together a chant thing for a song - I was surprised to get more than one stereo .wav of someone speaking into a single microphone... :confused: :wink:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:32 pm I do remember years and years ago asking people to send me tracks of themselves reading or singing a particular line - think I was putting together a chant thing for a song - I was surprised to get more than one stereo .wav of someone speaking into a single microphone... :confused: :wink:
Was this from general users or home recorders?

I did a similar thing where I had a ton of user record a series of words for me to chop up into lyrics. (Ray participated) Almost all the files I got were stereo, but also a lot of them were recorded on handheld devices that just defaulted to it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:17 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 3:53 pm Years ago, I sent bubba a drum track where the overheads were in stereo but he thought they were panned a bit wide. He rendered the left channel and right channel separately as mono and then panned them how he wanted them.
In Reaper there's a cool way to do that without having to split the channels. If you right-click on the pan knob and select "Stereo Pan" it adds a Width knob in addition to the pan knob. You can dial it all the way down to mono or up to 100% left/right. I tend to use that on my overheads to narrow them down to 75% or so. That keeps the drum set from sounding like it's a mile wide, which I agree can be annoying when a tom fill sounds like it's happening across an entire room.
THIS IS AWESOME!! Had no idea. :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:28 am
Armistice wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:32 pm I do remember years and years ago asking people to send me tracks of themselves reading or singing a particular line - think I was putting together a chant thing for a song - I was surprised to get more than one stereo .wav of someone speaking into a single microphone... :confused: :wink:

I did a similar thing where I had a ton of user record a series of words for me to chop up into lyrics. (Ray participated) Almost all the files I got were stereo, but also a lot of them were recorded on handheld devices that just defaulted to it.
Home recorders... one a member here who hasn't been around for a good long while. :wink:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 11:28 am

Home recorders... one a member here who hasn't been around for a good long while. :wink:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:07 pm
Tadpui wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:17 pm

In Reaper there's a cool way to do that without having to split the channels. If you right-click on the pan knob and select "Stereo Pan" it adds a Width knob in addition to the pan knob. You can dial it all the way down to mono or up to 100% left/right. I tend to use that on my overheads to narrow them down to 75% or so. That keeps the drum set from sounding like it's a mile wide, which I agree can be annoying when a tom fill sounds like it's happening across an entire room.
I must have done this years ago because I've always had a Width knob, as far as I can remember...

There's probably a thing, with VST drums where you get individual channels for each tom, to match your OH width at least approximately to the max width of your toms.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:56 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:07 pm

I must have done this years ago because I've always had a Width knob, as far as I can remember...

There's probably a thing, with VST drums where you get individual channels for each tom, to match your OH width at least approximately to the max width of your toms.
What I end up doing is using the routing to send every "mic" they offer to a separate channel and mix them with Reaper's tools.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:34 am
Armistice wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 5:56 pm

What I end up doing is using the routing to send every "mic" they offer to a separate channel and mix them with Reaper's tools.
Same.

I think i would want ot use that width knob for something like acoustic guitars or something.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:00 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:34 am

Same.

I think i would want ot use that width knob for something like acoustic guitars or something.
It starts at 100%, so really you're only able to narrow them.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:02 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 12:00 pm

Same.

It starts at 100%, so really you're only able to narrow them.
Well that is dumb. I hate that. Forget it.