The Years Keep Flying By

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Alison

The Years Keep Flying By

Post by Alison »

Tomorrow is my 40th wedding anniversary. Holy moly, didn't think we'd make it here. Actually, Mike is a saint and THAT'S how we've made it to this point! Anyway, I wrote a song for our 30th so, I figured this was due.

So, my arm is healed (according to the ortho doc) but I still have quite a bit of pain in my left thumb. They x-rayed it and turns out I have some arthritis that flared up because of the fall. The broken arm exacerbated arthritis (which I know I have). Doc assures me it should calm down. My excuse for a rough recording. . . Just wanted to get this done by Sunday. I know he's going to cry, he's a big baby!!

Couple of things. . . I know my playing is a bit weak but I could use your expertise on the Eq of everything. I tried something different with my vocals and I'm not sure I like it. I'm debating putting some cello in the instrumental parts but I'm really not sure it needs that. Believe it or not, the bass line was the easiest to play and record! Maybe because I really don't have to use my thumb much. . .

Yes, the piano is in stereo but mostly because I had to record the left and right hand separately (I used my right hand for both). Guitar is rough because I couldn't manage a bar chord for the Bm, do with what I've got!! Excuses, excuse! Now chip away at this as you will. . .Oh, and it's named "Sweet Sounds" because I started recording this BEFORE I had lyrics!
Sweet Sounds 2.mp3
Boy, after I went back to work on this, I definitely heard the distortion. . .ugh. . .don't know how I could have missed it!! Anyway, I have made a bunch of changes to the vocals. I THINK they sound better but I truly don't trust my ears anymore!! I also worked on the piano eq a bit. I'll definitely retrack the vocals if they don't sound better to you all. Thanks for your ears, they are much better than mine!!
The Years Keep Flying By.mp3
Today was a day of redoing. Retracked my vocals (finally found some good settings where I could hear everything I needed and not have to set vocal recording too high). Also retracked the right hand piano. Re-eq'd everything, added a slight touch of reverb on the vocals. Still working my way around Eq and reverb in Reaper. Here's another go at it. . .
The Years Keep Flying By 2.mp3

I'm hoping this is better. . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Alison on Wed May 17, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
rayc

Re: The Years Keep Flying By

Post by rayc »

The right hand of the piano sounds more like a harpsicord.
Strong left side.
The vocals are a bit toppy/breathy/slightly distorted to my ear.
I'd suggest running an EQ across it and see if you can find the freqs that are causing it and pull them back a little.
...drums are a bit live in the room ish/crisp...I guess the whole thing is a little crips given the two comments.
Lovely song, really good arrangement...lovely song.
Bm? I was taught that in 1976 - but only the cheat three note version on the G B & E strings.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I’m younger than everyone here but I do feel like time is passing by quicker than it was 10 years ago. Especially working in news where it’s all now now now and quick quick quick.

Anyway, I don’t think the vocals sounds too breathy, but I definitely agree it sounds slightly distorted.

Cool song, though!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thank you, @rayc and @CrowsofFritz for the comments, I appreciate it!

I heard the breathiness in the beginning but really didn't (don't) know how to get rid of it. It's an easy fix in Studio One, not so much in Reaper! As for distortion, boy, that went right by me! I have Eq on it, not sure how to find the frequency though. . . I did want a crisp, clean sound but maybe I overdid it a bit.

Anyway, I'll be looking at all the issues, thanks!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Alison wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:00 pm Thank you, @rayc and @CrowsofFritz for the comments, I appreciate it!

I heard the breathiness in the beginning but really didn't (don't) know how to get rid of it. It's an easy fix in Studio One, not so much in Reaper! As for distortion, boy, that went right by me! I have Eq on it, not sure how to find the frequency though. . . I did want a crisp, clean sound but maybe I overdid it a bit.

I don’t think that distortion is something you can EQ away. Either the mic was recorded too hot, and it’s “printed” into the track and you’ll have to re-record, or it’s too loud in the DAW and clipping, in which case, all you have to do is turn it down. It’s possible that an EQ boost is causing it to go into the red, though. I can’t really say that if I can’t see the DAW
Alison

Post by Alison »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:52 pm
Alison wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 12:00 pm Thank you, @rayc and @CrowsofFritz for the comments, I appreciate it!

I don’t think that distortion is something you can EQ away. Either the mic was recorded too hot, and it’s “printed” into the track and you’ll have to re-record, or it’s too loud in the DAW and clipping, in which case, all you have to do is turn it down. It’s possible that an EQ boost is causing it to go into the red, though. I can’t really say that if I can’t see the DAW
I really meant the breathiness. I listened again and still don't hear distortion but, I'm going to keep working on it. . . thanks, crows, your input is valued!
rayc

Post by rayc »

The breathiness isn't really a problem, the song can run with it as it gives it a human element.
As far as distortion, have a listen to the MP3 you uploaded - on line. It may be an issue of overall level, MP3 conversion etc. Then, in your DAW try the piece with any/all VSTs/PLugins on your voice turned off..then on again - though one at a tie...one of them may cause the problem. Plugins can be overloaded to clip but it's rarely obvious visually.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm hearing some distortion too, yeah. It's a crispiness on the vocal sibilants.

The piano sounds fine to me. Obviously an electric, and you can tell it was double-tracked from the panning, but I don't think that's a problem.

The biggest thing I'd recommend on it is taming the vocal reverb a little bit. It sounds unbalanced against the piano at the beginning especially.

I actually really like the staccato jitteriness of the guitar. It's a cool rhythmic counterpoint to everything else
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Alison wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:26 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:52 pm

I really meant the breathiness. I listened again and still don't hear distortion but, I'm going to keep working on it. . . thanks, crows, your input is valued!
Just a quick question: are you working in 32 bit float?
Alison

Post by Alison »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:10 pm I'm hearing some distortion too, yeah. It's a crispiness on the vocal sibilants.

The piano sounds fine to me. Obviously an electric, and you can tell it was double-tracked from the panning, but I don't think that's a problem.

The biggest thing I'd recommend on it is taming the vocal reverb a little bit. It sounds unbalanced against the piano at the beginning especially.

I actually really like the staccato jitteriness of the guitar. It's a cool rhythmic counterpoint to everything else
"a crispiness on the vocal sibilance" that explains a lot, thank you! And, yes, I tied a different reverb on the vocals, I'll definitely look into that. Wasn't really sure I liked it anyway!

"Jittery" is a really good word for my guitar playing these days! Thanks for your input!

@CrowsofFritz, yes, it's 32 bit float.
Alison

Post by Alison »

rayc wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:15 pm The breathiness isn't really a problem, the song can run with it as it gives it a human element.
As far as distortion, have a listen to the MP3 you uploaded - on line. It may be an issue of overall level, MP3 conversion etc. Then, in your DAW try the piece with any/all VSTs/PLugins on your voice turned off..then on again - though one at a tie...one of them may cause the problem. Plugins can be overloaded to clip but it's rarely obvious visually.
I will definitely check that. Steve actually described the distortion differently and I think I can hear it now. Going to work on it tomorrow.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Alison wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:53 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:10 pm I'm hearing some distortion too, yeah. It's a crispiness on the vocal sibilants.

"a crispiness on the vocal sibilance" that explains a lot, thank you! And, yes, I tied a different reverb on the vocals, I'll definitely look into that. Wasn't really sure I liked it anyway!

"Jittery" is a really good word for my guitar playing these days! Thanks for your input!

@CrowsofFritz, yes, it's 32 bit float.
It’s possibility that it doesn’t distort in the DAW because you’re working in 32 bit and then it distorts when it gets converted to an MP3. 32 bit float immensely reduces distortion even if you’re clipping because the dynamic range is so high. I wonder if it would distort if you exported the file in a 32 bit WAV. There’s a good chance that it wouldn’t!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Only getting around to this now.
1. I agree about there being a bit of distortion on the vocal - sounds like the sort of thing you'd get if you absolutely crushed it with a compressor... but I don't think you've done that, so its probably just in the red somewhere. Sounds fine when the band comes in, but its pretty obvious at the start.
2. I think there's too much reverb on the lead vocal, I think it would sound better with a smaller more intimate sound.
3. The drums sound good, but its a bit of a surprise when they come in.. a tiny fill before the kick/crash would soften their arrival a bit. Maybe even just a quick "t,tsh" on the hi-hat or gentle flam on the snare.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think it's the wrong reverb - sounds a bit boxy to me - I'd use less and go for a bigger room, not a smaller one, less intimate, not more intimate - but less of it - and then apply a small amount to everything else as well to try to get it to gel a bit. Or don't use a room at all - use a plate - assuming you have this option. Don't hate me, but I'd retrack the lead vocal. I can hear the distortion everyone's talking about. I don't think it's fixable.

But If you don't want to / can't I think there's some midrangey stuff going on in the lead vocal that you could scoop out, and I'd get editing with a volume envelope and cut out/ reduce the various mouth noises that are going on.

You sound VERY close to the mic and to my ears anyway it makes it sound like everything else is just a backing track - not part of the same recording. Not sure how close you are but backing away a little could solve a few other problems as well, and make for a more cohesive whole.

My $0.02.

Good luck.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:22 am I think it's the wrong reverb - sounds a bit boxy to me - I'd use less and go for a bigger room, not a smaller one, less intimate, not more intimate - but less of it
I concur.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thanks, guys, this is what I get for trying something different, lol! I really wasn't sure I liked the vocals anyway, that's why I hand it to you!

I'll be working on the vocals today, maybe retrack them (no @Armistice I don't hate you!).

Interesting idea about the drums, @JD01 although I did like the element of surprise, I might see if I can find something subtle to add.

Thanks for all the input, I do appreciate it! I might have a new version later today.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Well, did more work on this. Definitely heard the distortion. . .ugh, what a mess! I'm not really sure how that happened. The new mix of this is in my original post. I'll retrack the vocals if need be but I do think they sound better.
rayc

Post by rayc »

The vocal is heaps better though now I hear sibilance more...I think it's my ears today - I've heard it everywhere.
I;d be inclined to "soften" the drums a little..they're crisp.
A lovely song.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, that reverb is much better. Far more subtle and smooth. I might put a touch of it on the keyboards, at least in the beginning, to help it match the vocals.

Yeah, there's still some of that sibilant distortion, but it's a little better.
Alison

Post by Alison »

Hey, thank you Steve and Ray. Looks like I'm going to be retracking the vocals!! Really can't figure out what I did that was SO different this time but, I think the song is worth redoing the vocals.

Thanks for the input!