The Years Keep Flying By

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
TripleM

Re: The Years Keep Flying By

Post by TripleM »

There are some notes on the piano that have an unnatural decay - mostly on the right side.

The vocal in the second take is better on the distortion. There is some pitchiness in both takes tho. Not as bad on the second mix, but still pitchy in spots. And I thought there was too much reverb on it. It's an intimate song, so I'd keep it in a small setting.

Nice harmonies.

I like the drums. They enter the song nicely. They sound good too.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening in more detail and a bit more critically now.
1. Noticed something odd at the very start - first, there appears to be a bit of noise on the piano recording. As the first right hand line decays the noise disappears then it comes back in again as you start playing. Recorded a touch too hot maybe?
2. I think there's a still a little too much reverb on the vocal, but the main problem is that its distorting slightly. Again, sounds like it was recorded a bit too hot. I know you're probably going to re-record this now.
3. There's a ropey punch in the vocal line at 1:18.

Don't worry about re-tracking the vocal, you'll probably do it really quickly - I always find the same when re-tracking stuff. It was a pain in the arse to get it right the first time, but then when I'm used to the song I find the re-tracking of stuff easy.

Just remember when you're tracking that you don't want anything in the red.

I know I still owe you a Reaper template which should make your drum mixing and routing your reverbs a bit easier!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thanks, @JD01, and @TripleM I think I know what I'll be doing today!!
One thing I have found really difficult is finding the right recording levels where I can not only hear what I'm singing/playing but also the backing tracks. Seems a lot more difficult in Reaper than Studio One and I'm not really sure why.

Anyway, I'm off to retrack vocals AND piano! Hopefully, I'll have a new mix up soon. Thank you!
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison, adjust your headphone volume on your interface, not in your DAW.
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 4:40 pm Alison, adjust your headphone volume on your interface, not in your DAW.
Yes, I do that. This time I turned the "mix" knob on my interface WAY down and my headphones way up so I could record and hear my vocals at a lower record level. I think it has worked okay. I should have a new mix either later today or tomorrow.
Alison

Post by Alison »

New mix in the original post!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Listening to the 3rd Mix now. There was a fizz on the piano in the intro in the first version, that's gone now.
Vocal sounds great on this.
Seems like you've got this pretty sorted. Maybe a bit more reverb on the acoustic on the left, it sounds pretty close and it sounds like you're still struggling with your hand a bit. A bit more distance and it'll blend it more.
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:00 am Listening to the 3rd Mix now. There was a fizz on the piano in the intro in the first version, that's gone now.
Seems like you've got this pretty sorted. Maybe a bit more reverb on the acoustic on the left, it sounds pretty close and it sounds like you're still struggling with your hand a bit. A bit more distance and it'll blend it more.
Thank you, JDD! Took me most of the day just working on the settings to record but I think I've finally found a good setting. I'm half tempted to retrack the guitar since I am now starting to play more. Still a bit sore but, getting easier, finally.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Alison wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 11:18 am
JD01 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 5:00 am Listening to the 3rd Mix now. There was a fizz on the piano in the intro in the first version, that's gone now.
Thank you, JDD! Took me most of the day just working on the settings to record but I think I've finally found a good setting. I'm half tempted to retrack the guitar since I am now starting to play more. Still a bit sore but, getting easier, finally.
Just park it for a while until your hand gets better. You don't have to complete it to a timescale do you? When your hand is better you'll probably do it in a single take.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

sorry it took a while to get to this ....... I'm a big Alison fan ..... just my life is in fast forward mode these days.
Always like your writing and your performances are always great.
I've only heard the most recent revision which I guess is the best.
Don't hear anything that bothers me .... ...... I'd like very slightly more guitar ... that's it

Nice one!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Yes, @JD01, I am going to rest for a bit, I have no plans for this that need immediate attention.

@Lt. Bob, you are so sweet, thank you. I am a HUGE fan of yours as well!!
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Listening to mix #3.

I'm still hearing some unnatural decay on the right side piano on a few notes.

Little pop at 1:29.

No pitchiness now. The reverb is smaller than before, which is good. It doesn't fit the mix for me. Maybe shorten the pre-delay?

I like the bass tone.

Nice harmonies.