Anyone try a suitcase kick?

General recording topics.
CrowsofFritz

Anyone try a suitcase kick?

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Thinking of getting a kick pedal as I already have a decent suitcase for it.

Has anyone tried it? How’d you do it and how did it go?
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Re: Anyone try a suitcase kick?

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I've not. I've always liked the idea and seen some good sounding results.

But I fear the best results are probably due to a lot of post processing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

What's the point of this? Are you actually going to set up a suitcase drumkit and play it as such? Are you trying to one-man-band something? I don't understand why people do stuff like this when there are about a trillion other more viable and probably better sounding options for a bass drum sound.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:07 pm What's the point of this? Are you actually going to set up a suitcase drumkit and play it as such? Are you trying to one-man-band something? I don't understand why people do stuff like this when there are about a trillion other more viable and probably better sounding options for a bass drum sound.
Well, a kick drum pedal is pretty cheap and the suitcase is already there so I figured it would be the cheapest route. And I’d it goes wrong, I guess I could just sample the hits
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:28 pm
Well, a kick drum pedal is pretty cheap and the suitcase is already there so I figured it would be the cheapest route. And I’d it goes wrong, I guess I could just sample the hits
But why do you need a kick drum pedal? Are you trying to stomp out a kick drum beat while you play guitar or something?
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:31 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 1:28 pm
But why do you need a kick drum pedal? Are you trying to stomp out a kick drum beat while you play guitar or something?
Basically my friends and I are trying out a 5 piece old timey, rag timey band. My on guitar and vocals, one person on piano and vocals, a trombone, another brass player and a bass player. One of us will probably do the kick drum. Probably the bass player because I can’t walk and chew gum at the same time lol
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 2:04 pm

Basically my friends and I are trying out a 5 piece old timey, rag timey band. My on guitar and vocals, one person on piano and vocals, a trombone, another brass player and a bass player. One of us will probably do the kick drum. Probably the bass player because I can’t walk and chew gum at the same time lol
Ah ok then.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:07 pm What's the point of this? Are you actually going to set up a suitcase drumkit and play it as such? Are you trying to one-man-band something? I don't understand why people do stuff like this when there are about a trillion other more viable and probably better sounding options for a bass drum sound.
I thought suitcase kicks were mostly about portability: you build a kit that fits entirely into a suitcase, and the case itself is the kick.

And subsequently, there is a lo-fi folk sound to it that may be desirable for some recordings. (e.g. I have a EZD expansion that is styled after Tom Waits and includes one of these)
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:18 pm
I thought suitcase kicks were mostly about portability: you build a kit that fits entirely into a suitcase, and the case itself is the kick.

And subsequently, there is a lo-fi folk sound to it that may be desirable for some recordings. (e.g. I have a EZD expansion that is styled after Tom Waits and includes one of these)
I’ll see how it sounds in relation to our stuff. I think it will fit in quite well with the old time sound. Not like there was a full, rotund kick sound in the 1920s
rayc

Post by rayc »

Reference Point?
They used marching band bass drums initially so BIG was in.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:57 pm Reference Point?
They used marching band bass drums initially so BIG was in.
Definitely interesting! I wonder if that’s because everything was recorded to a single, unprocessed track, and so it had to be big just to cut through the music.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It was becasue it was what was readily available...the need for a kit kick hadn't existed long enough for manufacturing to find a line of profit.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Will soon be recording a trombone and trumpet. I’ve recorded a French horn before but not these two. Have gotten good advice on the webz. I also have a 60’ by 15’ room outside of the studio that should be great for them.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:51 am Will soon be recording a trombone and trumpet. I’ve recorded a French horn before but not these two. Have gotten good advice on the webz. I also have a 60’ by 15’ room outside of the studio that should be great for them.
I feel like brass is pretty simple to record, at least for rock music. They're loud, distory instruments, so just stand far enough back from the 57 to avoid clipping and call it good.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:33 am
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:51 am Will soon be recording a trombone and trumpet. I’ve recorded a French horn before but not these two. Have gotten good advice on the webz. I also have a 60’ by 15’ room outside of the studio that should be great for them.
I feel like brass is pretty simple to record, at least for rock music. They're loud, distory instruments, so just stand far enough back from the 57 to avoid clipping and call it good.
Yeah, recording The French horn all those years ago wasn’t difficult at all, and it was with a worse mic, worse room, worse equipment, and most of all, ignorance.

I’ll setup three different mics though, one on axis and two off.