Need help. . .again!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Need help. . .again!

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:55 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:20 am

Yeah but MS requires a Figure 8 mic and some DAW trickery.
also she said she wants to use a mic and the built in p'up which doesn't allow for a side-mid thing.
Right. I'm just curious what it would sound like using the mixing and routing tricks from the technique on that kind of setup.

I'll probably try it out this weekend to see if it's interesting.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 am
Right. I'm just curious what it would sound like using the mixing and routing tricks from the technique on that kind of setup.

It won't work. It can't because there's no actual stereo signal. A DI and a single mic can't be turned into a Mid-Side setup. There's not enough audio information. The reason MS works is because a Figure-8 mic picks up a stereo image even though it's collapsed into one signal. The DAW trickery portion of the process separates that single Figure-8 signal into two tracks that showcase the two sides of the mic. It involves copying and pasting and phase flipping and panning. You can go through all those shenanigans but without the Figure-8 signal it's all moot.

You can mimic MS with three cardioid mics. But two of them really should be identical so they can pretend to be one single Figure 8 mic.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

@Alison am I right in thinking that all you want to do is record the mic and pickup from your guitar on separate tracks so that you can blend them in your DAW? Kind of like an EQ?
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:30 pm @Alison am I right in thinking that all you want to do is record the mic and pickup from your guitar on separate tracks so that you can blend them in your DAW? Kind of like an EQ?
I guess that's my intention, at least it is now! I've always recorded my Ovation in stereo in studio one but I couldn't record two tracks at the same time. I always thought it helped make the guitar sound fuller. Still figuring out Reaper and all its different possibilities.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 12:02 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:32 am

It won't work. It can't because there's no actual stereo signal. A DI and a single mic can't be turned into a Mid-Side setup. There's not enough audio information. The reason MS works is because a Figure-8 mic picks up a stereo image even though it's collapsed into one signal. The DAW trickery portion of the process separates that single Figure-8 signal into two tracks that showcase the two sides of the mic. It involves copying and pasting and phase flipping and panning. You can go through all those shenanigans but without the Figure-8 signal it's all moot.

You can mimic MS with three cardioid mics. But two of them really should be identical so they can pretend to be one single Figure 8 mic.
Alright, I went ahead and did it: https://www.therecordingrebels.com/viewtopic.php?t=4285