New Studio Room Day

General recording topics.
CrowsofFritz

New Studio Room Day

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Finally got all moved in. That was a huge struggle. But it’s done and I’m so happy with my new space. All I need now are my studio monitors and some room treatment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Re: New Studio Room Day

Post by JD01 »

Looks like a lovely space to record in... does look like it needs some treatment though.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 10:15 am Looks like a lovely space to record in... does look like it needs some treatment though.
It does. Easily my most untreated room yet. I was able to get away with it in all my rooms, but there’s too much of a room sound going on here. Thing is, this is a rented house, so I’m not sure how I can put some rockwool panels up without messing up the walls. Time to do some research in that regard.

Maybe some double sided adhesive strips that are easy to take down?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Wow, that's going to take a bit of work, with the wood floor and corner position and everything. Glad you've got it all together though.

So the slat door behind it looks like a bifold mechanism - does that mean you can't open that end section, just the first two panels?

I might have been tempted to put it all in a line in front of the slat door allowing enough room for it to open - but I guess it depends upon the room dimensions and how much you need to get to all the stuff that's on the smaller table.

If you go double sided tape, get the "Command" stuff from 3M so you can get it off later without ripping the paint of the wall.

:like:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:08 pm Wow, that's going to take a bit of work, with the wood floor and corner position and everything. Glad you've got it all together though.

So the slat door behind it looks like a bifold mechanism - does that mean you can't open that end section, just the first two panels?

I might have been tempted to put it all in a line in front of the slat door allowing enough room for it to open - but I guess it depends upon the room dimensions and how much you need to get to all the stuff that's on the smaller table.

If you go double sided tape, get the "Command" stuff from 3M so you can get it off later without ripping the paint of the wall.

:like:
Awesome! That command stuff is good to know.

Yeah those slat doors lead to the closer meaning I can only open the right side. Which is perfectly enough. All my guitar cases are in the left side anyway, and it’s deep enough to where I can still walk down it. I’m loving having so much closet space. Once I do my first recording, I’ll have a better idea of just how much I’ll need to address the room. It’s probably less than I initially imagined just from hearing myself in the room and playing through my computer speakers at full volume. Wondering how four traps and four panels will go. At the moment, it’s a less than ideal position for monitors with it being in the corner, but now I can’t think of any other place without the closet getting in the way.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Good options at least. My only worry is that corner location for mixing/listening.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Command/p ... f_=ast_bln

You should find something here that would work - most of their stuff is actually hangers, but they do do tape - but perhaps the answer is to get your panel and have it sit in a hanger top and bottom to keep it in place... or something. I'm sure you'll work it out.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Okay, so I recorded and it wasn’t too great. Performance aside, the sound was probably the worst I’ve ever gotten, and I close mic things.

I’ll slowly accrue panels and see how much of a difference they make.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Get a big thick but cheap rug as well - that floor's not going to help with the sound bouncing around.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Instead of a lava lamp, I got a little buddy.

It’s a ginseng ficus Bonsai. Can be grown indoors with moderate indirect sunlight and it’s hard to kill, which is good for me, because I don’t have a green thumb.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice!
Offsetting your studio's carbon footprint, right?
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:25 pm Nice!
Offsetting your studio's carbon footprint, right?
Let’s go with that! If all goes well, I should have this guy for life. I do hope it grows into a big, strong boi with lots of leaves.

Last time I had a bonsai—a gift from my parents—my dad didn’t look up information for the specific bonsai and he killed it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Just don't get tired of it and pop it in the ground outside.
Look after you back & neck with that twist & shout alignment to your monitor.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:28 am Just don't get tired of it and pop it in the ground outside.
Look after you back & neck with that twist & shout alignment to your monitor.
I’d have to be extremely lazy to get tired of it. Water it with a tiny bit of fertilizer once a week, repot once a year. Take a 3 leaves off for every 6 grown, and if I want, tie the branches to shape it.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

My smooth weekend brain accidentally took the cup with salt water in it and poured it on the bonsai instead of the cup with fertilizer in it. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Luckily I realized immediately but I had to repot the thing. It doesn’t look like it’s reacted poorly to that.

It’s actually growing new branches and leaves are starting to sprout from them. Most other plants, that would be a death. But ginger ficuses are stronk.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This should become the Bonsai tree thread.
When I get my loft conversion, I will also get a bonsai tree.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:59 am This should become the Bonsai tree thread.
I just think mature bonsai trees are so freaking cool.

Do you know what you’ll be getting? Mine will apparently look like this when it’s older and not dead.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:30 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:59 am This should become the Bonsai tree thread.
I just think mature bonsai trees are so freaking cool.

Do you know what you’ll be getting? Mine will apparently look like this when it’s older and not dead.
No idea, I only thought of it about 5 mins ago and haven't thought about it again since!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Finally got around to opening my room treatment packages!

Got four of them. It’s not perfect, but I’m definitely hearing a difference.

Wow, I did not expect that difference with only four of them to be honest.

This is amazing…
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice!

When my room flooded a few weeks ago, I got the rugs and a couple of floor-standing corner traps out of the room to avoid the water. I was amazed at how much difference removing less than 1/3 of my trapping made. It was relieving to get them back in place after things dried out.