How did I not know this existed?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Armistice

How did I not know this existed?

Post by Armistice »

So I was on Facebook and followed a link about someone I'd never heard of playing at the venue where The Jongleurs did our reunion last year - and wondering who the hell Minnie Marks was - I presumed she was some unheralded local. So I went to her page and found the video below, started watching and thought well that's interesting, until I realised pretty quickly that she's got some amazing drum thing happening via her feet, and that this is all being done live.

And that while she is a local, she's by no means unheralded - tours the world doing what she does.

After a bit of research I found out that it's called a Farmer Foot Drum. Pretty damn neat for one-man-band live types like her. Awesome.

CrowsofFritz

Re: How did I not know this existed?

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Random tangent but I’ve been thinking about this for a while.

Doesn’t it seem like people have a standard American accent when they start singing? Many artists I thought were from the U.S. were from other countries. This person is a local? She doesn’t sound Australian in the slightest.

I remember when Biden asked South Korean’s President to sing American Pie, and while I did notice he had a bit of a Korean accent to it, it was MUCH more subdued when he was singing it.

I can’t be the only one who has thought this…and having just looked it up after typing that sentence, I’m definitely not.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's pretty cool!
paulman

Post by paulman »

So I was thinking "Dammit Armi, now I'm going to have to rework my entire live show with this foot drum thing, cause it sounds awesome." Then I went to the website and saw the prices. I will not be adding that to my setup. It costs as much as my Roland kit! Sure is cool, though!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That was actually pretty cool. I like her playing. It's a cool sound.

Personally not a fan of the big dumb hat aesthetic and i tend not to gel well with those types but whatever. Still a cool player/vibe/sound!
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:05 am So I was thinking "Dammit Armi, now I'm going to have to rework my entire live show with this foot drum thing, cause it sounds awesome." Then I went to the website and saw the prices. I will not be adding that to my setup. It costs as much as my Roland kit! Sure is cool, though!
Yeah - they're hugely expensive aren't they! Eye watering.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:45 pm That was actually pretty cool. I like her playing. It's a cool sound.

Personally not a fan of the big dumb hat aesthetic and i tend not to gel well with those types but whatever. Still a cool player/vibe/sound!
Me too. Suspect she's pretty short and it's some way to deflect comments of that nature.

She is good though. Still never actually heard of her... 😄