Sharing Reaper Templates

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
JD01

Sharing Reaper Templates

Post by JD01 »

Just want to check something. I was working on a song for @Alison and she sent me the Reaper project.

I just want to tidy up her template and make it a bit more user friendly so she'll get more consistent results.

If I stick to using EZ Drummer (which Alison has) and basic Reaper FX, if I just send her the template file it'll open up on her machine exactly as it is on mine isn't it?

Also, if I add a couple of Reverb impulses into the template, Alison will just have to save those impulses onto her machine and then point the template to where they are won't she?
vomitHatSteve

Re: Sharing Reaper Templates

Post by vomitHatSteve »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 pm
If I stick to using EZ Drummer (which Alison has) and basic Reaper FX, if I just send her the template file it'll open up on her machine exactly as it is on mine isn't it?
I think it should, yes. I've looked at the contents of a .rpp file, and the way it stores VST settings is pretty encoded. So I don't know if I'd fully rely on EZD settings transferring.
Also, if I add a couple of Reverb impulses into the template, Alison will just have to save those impulses onto her machine and then point the template to where they are won't she?
I think the template will copy those files into the folder with itself, won't it?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:26 am
JD01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 pm
I think it should, yes. I've looked at the contents of a .rpp file, and the way it stores VST settings is pretty encoded. So I don't know if I'd fully rely on EZD settings transferring.
I think the template will copy those files into the folder with itself, won't it?
Should do, yeah. I just want to give Alison a nice sounding room reverb with a suitable hi-pass on it to stop it getting ugly and a nice sounding vocal ambience. Along with a bit of routing already done so its easy for Alison to adjust it and mess about with it but won't have to set it up from scratch.
rayc

Post by rayc »

It'll ask about missing components and allow them to be found/pointed to. I've only shared a project twice one was successful the other not.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've never actually used a template. I probably should seeing I do the same thing every damn time. Except I don't even know how to set them up. :eep:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 8:21 pm I've never actually used a template. I probably should seeing I do the same thing every damn time. Except I don't even know how to set them up. :eep:
File, save as template. Not rocket surgery.

Whatever project you're happy with as a basic layout, just delete all of the tracks from it. Keep all of the routing and VSTs that you use every time in place. Then save it as a template. Done.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I use track templates constantly but never project templates.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 pm Just want to check something. I was working on a song for @Alison and she sent me the Reaper project.

I just want to tidy up her template and make it a bit more user friendly so she'll get more consistent results.

The thing with EZD is is if you are using your own toontrack template or custom user preset kit included in your reaper template will have to provide also your preset file and respective path of where to put it. I can't think of the file extension now off the top of my head but there may even be an export or back up user preset feature that you could use to achieve the same goal.

otherwise it will just load the default kit and settings.
:happytrees:
Alison

Post by Alison »

I did try to set up a template as you, @JD01 showed me during our Zoom call but I'm sure I didn't do it right. . .ugh! :crazy:
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!