Wish You Were Here - New Interface Drive

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
musicturtle

Wish You Were Here - New Interface Drive

Post by musicturtle »

As I posted in the general recording thread... I bought a UA Volt 276.

It has a built in compressor and "vintage" setting.

Here is my first go with it

The electric guitars are straight into the box with Bias FX amp sim.

The acoustic and vocals are recorder with an Aston Origin condenser.

No compression added to individual tracks in the DAW, just used the onboard one.

Obviously added reverb, a little EQ, and a mastering plug on the main bus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Re: Wish You Were Here - New Interface Drive

Post by rayc »

Sounds good Tony,
Glad you have new gear that you're comfy with straight away.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tony,

I thought there was something weird going on with this - turns out I appears that my 2i2 connected to one of my laptops is getting a bit dodgy. Was find with my 18i20 which is in my other laptop.

Can't really hear anything "wrong" with it. Sounds a bit chaotic during the guitar solo 'cos you have three guitars really close to the centre of the mix, would probably be better if you just dropped out the rhythm electric.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:00 am Sounds good Tony,
Glad you have new gear that you're comfy with straight away.
Thanks Ray!
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:13 am Tony,

I thought there was something weird going on with this - turns out I appears that my 2i2 connected to one of my laptops is getting a bit dodgy. Was find with my 18i20 which is in my other laptop.

Can't really hear anything "wrong" with it. Sounds a bit chaotic during the guitar solo 'cos you have three guitars really close to the centre of the mix, would probably be better if you just dropped out the rhythm electric.
Thanks James!
Yeah I didn't pan the rhythms very far, might spread them out a bit and put the solo more in the middle. My morning after listen tells me the lead vox is a bit dry as well.

I had the 2i2 for the longest time(had 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen). Never really failed me, just wanted to try something different and the headphone output was not enough for me.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:26 pm Sounds nice.
Thanks VHS!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sounds nice, Tony. Acoustic sounds good to me, vocals sound good as well. Sounds like it was a fun project to record!
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Just wanted to say the acoustic guitar sounds really nice ,playing and tone! I enjoyed this, nice vocal as well!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I must not have hit reply yesterday sorry MT.

I don't hear anything objectionable here at all. I think it is a good demonstration of your new toy and your skills and your vibe!!! Looking forward to your EP!
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Now you just need a 12 string for the intro... :biggrin:

Sounds good though - especially the acoustic when that comes in.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@Tadpui @stratmonkee @WhiskeyJack @Armistice

Thanks guys. I was really pleased with the acoustic and vocal sounds.. I think the Aston with the Volt seems like a good match. Their "colors" go well together as they both have a warmness to their sound.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Really nice sounding.

The acoustic guitar sounds especially nice to me. You could probably roll off some low end. Some of the chord strums get slightly muddy.

Maybe a bit too much chorus on the electric? Just a bit.

Nice singing. Very nice.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Sounds pretty good to me. Obviously you're just testing things and others have said what could make the mix better, etc. I really like the rawness of it.

:coolstorybro:

It's nice to hear the 276 in action. I've recently been looking at the Volt 476 as an upgrade to my Studio Projects VTB1 and Alesis MicTube Solo with the M-Audio Delta 24/96. Really old shit (I have been using for 15+ years) but still making good sounds. I like the Volt 476 for the Line Inputs. It'll be that or the M-Audio Air 192/14. Decisions!
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

@TripleM Thanks, yeah I knew I wouldn't be adding bass so I probably went overboard with the low end on the guitars.

@Mr Clean Thanks! I like the Volt so far. @Tadpui did a great review of the 476 on his youtube channel. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

musicturtle wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:54 am @Mr Clean Thanks! I like the Volt so far. @Tadpui did a great review of the 476 on his youtube channel. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

Cheers man. I'll have a look at this shortly. :coolstorybro:
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I played with Bias FX once upon a time. It’s a good piece of software. I’m not using amplitube if I’m never using my amp.

Love the acoustic tone. I think it kind of clashes with the chorus electric…don’t know specifically how though.

Oh…now that it’s playing chords…it sounds fine. It’s really only when you’re riffing on the acoustic that it sounds like it clashes to my ears. But that’s just me.

Great singing!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”