Not edrums... but virtual drums

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Not edrums... but virtual drums

Post by JD01 »

Now... this is weird.
https://www.theodots.com/
Wonder if you can synch this up with Superior Drummer/Reaper and use them for programming MIDI
Greg_L

Re: Not edrums... but virtual drums

Post by Greg_L »

This is not the first time someone has tried this and I hope this one dies the whimpering death the others have too.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Oh, I've never heard of this. It could be handy as a MIDI controller for drum programming if it works like that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I mean it is a generational thing. Rockband was about 10-15 years ago, right? It's about that time for some new gadget to come along and convince new people that they can be drummers without ever actually playing drums.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Oh geeze! I'm watching the review video on their home page, and these things are pretty terrible

One built-in kit with the standard dongle and no customization
It can output midi, but only by syncing to a mobile device via bluetooth
Audible latency. he's trying to downplay it, but he still has to admit that it's there

When the closing statement of the video review you post on your own site is "[it's] fine." you know you have not made a good product!

I think the idea of this kind of thing is cool, and there's room for it in live music (see Imogen Heap's gloves, the glide, hot hand, whatever)
But this implementation just seems sad, and trying to make it be a drum kit is always gonna hold these folks back from being really innovative.
Last edited by vomitHatSteve on Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:41 am I mean it is a generational thing. Rockband was about 10-15 years ago, right? It's about that time for some new gadget to come along and convince new people that they can be drummers without ever actually playing drums.
I know you don't do much MIDI programming of drums. I do heaps of it! I'm always tapping my foot and tapping away on my desk to work out what part I'm hearing in my head. But then I sometimes find it a pain to work transfer exactly what I'm thinking onto the MIDI timeline.

I don't find it so hard that I want to get some sticks for an imaginary drum kit... but I can see the appeal.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:18 pm
I know you don't do much MIDI programming of drums. I do heaps of it! I'm always tapping my foot and tapping away on my desk to work out what part I'm hearing in my head. But then I sometimes find it a pain to work transfer exactly what I'm thinking onto the MIDI timeline.

I don't find it so hard that I want to get some sticks for an imaginary drum kit... but I can see the appeal.
Then get some e-drums.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:18 pm

Then get some e-drums.
I don't have the space in here and I'm not sure how much space I'm going to have when I get my loft conversion so I can move my office/studio up there. I should have enough for some e-drums but I'm hoping to have space for a proper kit.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

THE OFFICE/////REUNION :lollers2: :lollers2: :happytrees:

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I swear to allah if I ever see someone trying this live I will bash their fucking head in.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Dating? That would be the weirdest date ever and I've been on some weird ones.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Maybe you can virtually play the drum intro to Foreplay as foreplay.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:16 pm Maybe you can virtually play the drum intro to Foreplay as foreplay.
Wasn't that an old SNL sketch? The guy brings the girl back to his place and starts playing a bass solo, then 45 minutes later opens his eyes to discover she's left?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Seems like it's just a toy for people who want to make noises but not actually drum.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I mate of mine has these. I had a go, they're terrible.