Iggy Pop cover...

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
stratmonkee

Iggy Pop cover...

Post by stratmonkee »

My cover of a old Iggy classic, believe it or not, use to hear this on the radio back in the good old days of Detroit rock radio. WABX use to play this and all kinds of great rock. Those were the days.... Here is my take on Iggy Pops Knockin Em Down (In The City),I did this one a while ago , but was not happy with it so decided to retrack almost everything on it... it's a bit different than the original, but gotta go with what I got vocal wise.. Im not to sure on the cymbal crashes on this, they seem to decay fast (un natrual) to me, guitar solo may be a bit loud/over the top...I was excited :lollers2:

vomitHatSteve

Re: Iggy Pop cover...

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I am not digging the drums in this arrangement. They're highly produced (I assume VSTi?) in a way that clashes with the loose, lo-fi sound of everything else.
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:08 pm I am not digging the drums in this arrangement. They're highly produced (I assume VSTi?) in a way that clashes with the loose, lo-fi sound of everything else.
Yeah , I'm not liking the drums that much either, replaced my 1st drum track for same reason that it didn't vibe with the over all track....back to the drawing board I guess....
rayc

Post by rayc »

Fun cover...the drums? Well, they sound tidy & clean which isn't too Iggy.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

The drums don't bother me so much on this one, but I see what the guys are saying. I think it gives the song an 80s vibe as opposed to a 70s vibe. Nice guitar tones, properly nasty. That was a lot of fun, I haven't listened to enough Iggy other than the Lust For Life album with the Sales kids.
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

rayc wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:38 pm Fun cover...the drums? Well, they sound tidy & clean which isn't too Iggy.
Thanks Ray, not sure if I want to put anything else into this one other then having my buddy put live drums on it, I think a song like this really needs it.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:08 pm I am not digging the drums in this arrangement. They're highly produced (I assume VSTi?) in a way that clashes with the loose, lo-fi sound of everything else.
I hear ya, I use different loop collections for my drums and just chop and arrange them to fit...these ones just seem to be lacking (Betamonkee drum loops). Thanks for listening!
Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:24 pm The drums don't bother me so much on this one, but I see what the guys are saying. I think it gives the song an 80s vibe as opposed to a 70s vibe. Nice guitar tones, properly nasty. That was a lot of fun, I haven't listened to enough Iggy other than the Lust For Life album with the Sales kids.
Hey thanks, yeah Iggy Pop has a huge catalog thats all over the place, very hit and miss imo, but always dug this song.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, nothing to add really. The drums don't really suit the song, there's a few bits where you could improve the MIDI map to make them groove a bit more. Everything else sounds good I reckon.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think the drums are fine. The drums in the original Iggy mix are way loud and ridiculous so these don't seem odd or out of place to my ears. Some of the edits are apparent, like a cymbal crash cutting off before the solo, but other than that the drums are fine for the song IMO.

I think you missed the mark vocally only because you're out of range. A different key would let you get up to where Iggy goes with his vocals. Maybe not. He has a pretty big range! You constrained yourself to a key that keeps you in a very small vocal range that doesn't let you find the melody. No big deal it still sounds good.

Interesting choice to cover. Mr Pop has a massive catalog.
Rebel Yell
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:20 am I think the drums are fine. The drums in the original Iggy mix are way loud and ridiculous so these don't seem odd or out of place to my ears. Some of the edits are apparent, like a cymbal crash cutting off before the solo, but other than that the drums are fine for the song IMO.

I think you missed the mark vocally only because you're out of range. A different key would let you get up to where Iggy goes with his vocals. Maybe not. He has a pretty big range! You constrained yourself to a key that keeps you in a very small vocal range that doesn't let you find the melody. No big deal it still sounds good.

Interesting choice to cover. Mr Pop has a massive catalog.
Thanks Greg, yeah I did take a bit of a creative license on my vocal on this...At 1st, I did try singing it closer to the original melody (lots of "ups and downs" ) and just couldn't pull it off as well as I wanted it, so decided to just sing it like I felt it... may try to play this one live with my bad, I'm not lead singer thankfully, but will be cool with real drummer energy. There is some pretty crazy Iggy live versions of this song out there with some real wacky drumming, and everything else for that matter. Thanks for listening, always appreciate your feedback!
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I like the guitar sounds. All of them.

You struggled just a bit with the vocal. But it was a real clear sound.

Cymbals are just a bit hissy and a bit loud.
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

TripleM wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:27 pm I like the guitar sounds. All of them.

You struggled just a bit with the vocal. But it was a real clear sound.

Cymbals are just a bit hissy and a bit loud.
Hey TripleM , thanks for listening...funny no matter how many takes I do...the beginning of the song is always a struggle, but after 1st verse , I feel more confident and sing a bit more relaxes...too my ears anyway :k: . Glad sonically the vocals a re at least a bit more clear and present, have always struggled with that as well. Drums are meh. I think I will eventually try and fix them.