Plink Piano

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Plink Piano

Post by rayc »

I haven't done anything much with keyboards other than organ so decided to experiment.
This has three BIAB pianos...one is just held chords, another chords and passing notes while a third, awful, one I lifted a few notes and phrases from.
BIAB also supplied the rater nice organ as well as the seven drums stems I used. I did start with just the snare but found that the HiHat track had a better snare sound and the hat filled spaces nicely. Eventually the kick comes in and then the whole kit.
The guitar solo, at this stage & if no one cares to play a solo on this, is also from BIAB
I recorded the two arp guitar parts through my Yamaha FX500 with my Squire and the bass is my Knockhoffner through a BDI21. I forgot to hook up to the compressor on the way in so it has a combo of Denskity, Deathcore & Vola2 on it.The SX lapsteel is through a Pignose 7-100.
My vocals are almost untouched by processing for a change.
The Gospel vocal is another BIAB thing. It didn't really work at 1st as 60bpm was at the bottom of it's tempo range and the vibrato, at that speed, was really wide and unpleasant. I used tuning software to reduce the "drift" and it sounds somewhat better.
LONG thing though.
pinkpiano2004.mp3
Seems the attachment system has gone a little haywire... the two attachments keep ending at the bottom of the post no matter where I put them.
The CrookED is the updated one.
Here's the mix I intended to post...my crook vocal in all it's glory. there're some tuned harmonies gently off to the side and a doubled part, (that helps it sound almost in tuned), for the last sung verse.
pinkpianocrookED.mp3
I've lifted the kick and reduced the occurrences of the gospel vocal.
This is about as far as I can get with tuning and BIAB lead as well.
If anyone out there's interested in replacing the lead let me know.
pinkpiano2904.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Re: Plink Piano

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Piano sounds nice. I wouldn't describe it as plinky; to me that implies more of a stacatto honky tonk kind of piano (but that's neither here nor there)

Guitar and organ work is very Pink Floyd-esque. That gospel vocalist BIAB plugin is so clearly trying to be Great Gig In the Sky! :lollers:

So you said you largely don't have FX on your vocals? You've still got a thing where your pitch jumps drastically on your slides. It sounds very affected for how minimalist the arrangement is.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'd turn the organ down a touch - the chord changes where the player releases all keys at once are a bit jarring - sort of thing you can edit in MIDI but guessing that's not how BIAB works.

What's with the super long tunes all of a sudden?

I think the guitar solo is actually quite nice, but yeah, there's someone channelling David Gilmour there. The piano playing the solo bit after the main solo is a little plinky to me - I struggle with this myself - not sure what the answer is - go hunting with the EQ for the harsh frequencies maybe - saturation plug?

Yes, very GGITS with the backing vocalist - without every achieving a tenth of the impact of that singer because (a) too reverbed and back in the mix and (b) just sounds random. I'd rethink that part, personally. Unless you forever want people saying "That sounds like that Pink Floyd song..." and with the Floydian guitar work, they will.

I think there's a good enough song at the back of all that to dispense with some of the Floyd elements - but that's just a personal opinion.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yep, plinky is the solo piano.
BIAB does midi and there're heaps of mid organ & "midisuper" tracks to use & edit. I'll just manually slice, dice, stretch & snap the organ a bit today.
Those awkward pitch things ARE my voice. That's something I struggle with...it's almost like pubescent cracking and I know it sounds like it's bad tuning...it's my crappy voice & worse "technique". I actually tried to tune those parts back to "normal" but it didn't work so I gave up.
The Floydism are, largely, what BIAB offered. I did select the gospel vocal...I needed to fill in some space and the rest of the guitar track was pretty awful. I'll keep on with it.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:29 pm Yep, plinky is the solo piano.
BIAB does midi and there're heaps of mid organ & "midisuper" tracks to use & edit. I'll just manually slice, dice, stretch & snap the organ a bit today.
Those awkward pitch things ARE my voice. That's something I struggle with...it's almost like pubescent cracking and I know it sounds like it's bad tuning...it's my crappy voice & worse "technique". I actually tried to tune those parts back to "normal" but it didn't work so I gave up.
The Floydism are, largely, what BIAB offered. I did select the gospel vocal...I needed to fill in some space and the rest of the guitar track was pretty awful. I'll keep on with it.
That is so strange that your voice does that!

Can you post an isolated, untreated vocal snippet sometime? I'm really intrigued to hear that affectation outside a mix.
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:10 pm
That is so strange that your voice does that!

Can you post an isolated, untreated vocal snippet sometime? I'm really intrigued to hear that affectation outside a mix.
Yeah, I'll dig one out.
The harmony vocal in this is tuned of course.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I like the chord progression on this one. So did BIAB just make up the guitar solo whole cloth? That's pretty cool if it did, and maybe a little scary :)

I think the plinky piano sounds nice. It's a little roomy and overall pleasant to my ears. Definitely a Floyd vibe throughout the song, which isn't a bad thing to me. But the gospel singer might be a bridge too far, given the already Floydian context. I don't hate it or anything, it just might be a little to "on the nose" so to speak.

Honestly I was going to complain about the length but then the whole song went by and it didn't bother me. The slow tempo just takes time to develop. I think it worked out surprisingly well.
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Yes total Meddle-Dark Side Floyd vibe, I like that. I like that I can hear your vocal very clearly. So that guitar is BIAB? As others stated , it is very Gilmour! Last part does hit close to Great Gig In The Sky with the gospel singing.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

The clean guitar tones are really nice. I like the bass too - I like the whole low end.

The vocal sounds pretty reverb-y. If it's not processed, where was it recorded? Sounds like a church. With the mic at the back pew.

Again - all the guitars sound REALLY good.

Drums are back in the mix, but for something like this I think it's OK. Maybe nudge up the kick.
rayc

Post by rayc »

TripleM wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:43 pm The clean guitar tones are really nice. I like the bass too - I like the whole low end.
The vocal sounds pretty reverb-y. If it's not processed, where was it recorded? Sounds like a church. With the mic at the back pew.
Again - all the guitars sound REALLY good.
Drums are back in the mix, but for something like this I think it's OK. Maybe nudge up the kick.
Thanks MMM,
Ha, they are supposed to be, largely, unprocessed.
The mix you listened to is processed though. It was a mix for a different forum full of people who use tuners & other computer things etc for vocals. Quite a few have given up singing and now used Synth Kevin et al.
The mix I intended for this page had my vocals, relatively unprocessed with tuned/processed backing & harmony parts as well.
The mix above doesn't have the unprocessed one...I'm a fool for not checking - even after vHS mentioned the oddities I didn't go back to the uploaded one until a few days later.
There's a fair bit of reverb on lots of bits but there's a fairly close double track that veers into alternative chord tones that goes to the reverb pretty heavily. The track is, obviously, me experimenting with Floydish sounds and parts. I'd love to get a real lead guitar & high fem vocal on this.
I haven't uploaded the track that was supposed to be on here yet. I'll have to rip another of it tomorrow.
Lessen the swimming, nudge the kick, (I discovered that the multi tracks for the drums are ALL mono. One mono track for OHs...makes getting a decent stereo image hard.)
I'll get to a remix with less processed vox tomorrow.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

Oh and I realized that I said I liked the low end and then later I said to nudge up the kick. Contradictory.

For a while I thought the low end was just right. As I listened further, I realized I couldn't always hear the kick clearly. I'd nudge it up a db or so. I should have amended what I said at the beginning of my response. Oopsie whoopisie
rayc

Post by rayc »

Well, after a few goes the two attachments seem to be in the right place. Could be me using W7 OS.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

Updated.
Cheers
rayc