Are You Mad Bro?

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
stratmonkee

Are You Mad Bro?

Post by stratmonkee »

Song I'm working on, trying to get that big sing along chorus sound. Vocals don't come easy for me. Also experimenting with a Keely bubbletron on the guitar solo trying for that Zappa mid 70's filter sound.

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Are You Mad Bro?

Post by WhiskeyJack »

LOL. I like the "are you mad bro" group vox. Very cool.

I think your big sing along sound is working? I'm not really hearing anything that isn't working. I think you go it SM!!!
:happytrees:
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:45 pm LOL. I like the "are you mad bro" group vox. Very cool.

I think your big sing along sound is working? I'm not really hearing anything that isn't working. I think you go it SM!!!
Cool, thanks for listening Whiskey Jack, yeah , in my mind, I wanted to get (showing my age here :razz: ) a big gang chorus like Slade or Queen...currently have 6 tracks of backing vocals for that part...and ZI tried to sing them all a bit different ie higher or lower register, maybe a bit off key (that parts easy for me ) louder and softer...somehow they didnt work right to my ears and I think what I have is 6 tracks of singing in unison....going to take another stab at it tomorrow I think.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol typically wacky and well done. I don't really have anything to critique. Maybe reel in the panning on the drums some. The hats and toms seem to be pretty wide.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Bros you are mad.
Bubbletron? I'll have to look that up.
It does have that Mothers thing going.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

All sounds pretty good to me SM - and very Zappa-y... :biggrin:

Zappery? Zapperish? Frankly, whatever... :wink:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

stratmonkee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:05 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:45 pm LOL. I like the "are you mad bro" group vox. Very cool.

Cool, thanks for listening Whiskey Jack, yeah , in my mind, I wanted to get (showing my age here :razz: ) a big gang chorus like Slade or Queen...currently have 6 tracks of backing vocals for that part...and ZI tried to sing them all a bit different ie higher or lower register, maybe a bit off key (that parts easy for me ) louder and softer...somehow they didnt work right to my ears and I think what I have is 6 tracks of singing in unison....going to take another stab at it tomorrow I think.
If you do take another stab at it keep the 6 you have already and then mix and match with the new. You have the right idea for sure. Another thing to with some of these gang vocals is to kind of box them all in with each other behind and away from the main vocal. Use a different reverb with a tiny bit more room and roll off some of the presence of the high end freq's so they are sitting a little behind the presence of the main vox. I can't really tell if you have any of the gang panned straight up the center but it helps not crowd your main on centre either.

Look forward to a 2nd attempt.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:55 pm
stratmonkee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:05 pm

If you do take another stab at it keep the 6 you have already and then mix and match with the new. You have the right idea for sure. Another thing to with some of these gang vocals is to kind of box them all in with each other behind and away from the main vocal. Use a different reverb with a tiny bit more room and roll off some of the presence of the high end freq's so they are sitting a little behind the presence of the main vox. I can't really tell if you have any of the gang panned straight up the center but it helps not crowd your main on centre either.

Also, you can probably successfully pitch shift things via a plug in if it's all too unisony....
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:07 pm Lol typically wacky and well done. I don't really have anything to critique. Maybe reel in the panning on the drums some. The hats and toms seem to be pretty wide.
That's the first thing I'm noticing too. The lead vocal could probably come forward a bit too; it's getting buried. The gang chorus is sounding pretty good. I get the Slade/Queen vibes from it.

One trick to try for gang vocals is to do takes with the whole track sped up and slowed down up to 15%. Then you get the altered formants of pitch shifting without pitch shifting artifacts

My go-to these days is "sucks bro. Have you tried therapy?"
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:07 pm Lol typically wacky and well done. I don't really have anything to critique. Maybe reel in the panning on the drums some. The hats and toms seem to be pretty wide.
Thanks Greg! I've been in a wide drumscape vibe lately, I agree may be to the point of distraction, will reel em' in a bit when I work on mix.
rayc wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:43 pm Bros you are mad.
Bubbletron? I'll have to look that up.
It does have that Mothers thing going.
Its a fun Pedal to mess around with, definitely a niche type thing. Im a pedal junkie , so I love messing around with wacky pedals like this.
Armistice wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:13 pm All sounds pretty good to me SM - and very Zappa-y... :biggrin:

Zappery? Zapperish? Frankly, whatever... :wink:
Cool, Love me some Zappa, especially Apostrophe/Zoot Allures era. Thanks for listening!!
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:55 pm

Thanks! Those are great tips man, I appreciate it! I have not done much with them now as they are, and they are the same eq , reverb. They are all also pretty close to center so will experiment with panning as well, I will post my new version trying these tips! Also the pitch shift tip ( cant believe I never thought of this) that Armistice mentioned will be cool to try as well.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:06 pm
That's the first thing I'm noticing too. The lead vocal could probably come forward a bit too; it's getting buried. The gang chorus is sounding pretty good. I get the Slade/Queen vibes from it.

One trick to try for gang vocals is to do takes with the whole track sped up and slowed down up to 15%. Then you get the altered formants of pitch shifting without pitch shifting artifacts

My go-to these days is "sucks bro. Have you tried therapy?"
Cool,thanks for listening and commenting VHS! I learn so much from you guys on here, it's great! I will try that method as well for sure! I've really never put much effort or attention into my vocals on the songs I write /record, excited to try and improve that part of things. Love your go to, going to have to use it to combat Are you mad bro....have a guy at work that's a big conspiracy theroy guy, and after one of his truth bomb rants he always ends it with a "are ya mad now bro" .. :lollers:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Definitely a fun listen. I really like that searing guitar tone on the solo. Was that all the bubbletron thingy or was there a wah too? Or is that kind of what the bubbletron is?

Anyways, I think the gang vocal works. Not sure if I'm catching an updated mix, but it sounds like a gang vocal to me.