Having An Average Weekend

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Greg_L

Having An Average Weekend

Post by Greg_L »

Wanted to knock something out using one of my new Ampegs that @Lt. Bob gave me. :not worthy:

This is all my Gretsch and a Mosrite bass through the Ampeg V2 head and a G12H30 2x12 cab. Mic'd with a close SM57 and a distant AT4047.

If you've ever watched Kids in the Hall you might recognize this song. It's very Canadian. I bet @WhiskeyJack knows it.
Having An Average Weekend.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Re: Having An Average Weekend

Post by Lt. Bob »

I always thought that V2 and the VT 22 would make a good bass head ....... sounds great.
Is that the Ampeg 'verb?

Very surfy sounding ...... I actually wouldn't have thought of surf and Ampeg together but then, they're built for cleans so it makes sense.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Shit dude that is awesome. Ampeg sounds really good it came to life really nicely! Really shows the wide range of sound you can get out of that. You wouldn't think all those tones came out of hte same amp. The bass i think is the clear winner here for me though. It sounds fantastic thru that thing.

Homerun of a cover too! Yes, Shadowy Men are legends and that song is also an anthem for 90's kids up here as well. I have a few of their records. I also have a cover of one of their songs started! Likely will never see the light of day becasue I am genuinely awful but maybe. who knows.
:happytrees:
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Thats great! Fantastic tones and playing (as usual). And man, couple of beauties there as far as guitars go...A Moserite Bass???? Holy crap thats awesome...that neck looks slinky :>)
Love it!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:13 pm I always thought that V2 and the VT 22 would make a good bass head ....... sounds great.
Is that the Ampeg 'verb?

Very surfy sounding ...... I actually wouldn't have thought of surf and Ampeg together but then, they're built for cleans so it makes sense.
Yup that is the head's own reverb. It's quite good. Very good. I've found that if you set the mids to the 300hz setting and scoop about 10db off the mid knob it gets very Blackface-ish. And with that good spring reverb it will sound very sparkly and Fender-ish.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:36 pm Image

Shit dude that is awesome. Ampeg sounds really good it came to life really nicely! Really shows the wide range of sound you can get out of that. You wouldn't think all those tones came out of hte same amp. The bass i think is the clear winner here for me though. It sounds fantastic thru that thing.

Homerun of a cover too! Yes, Shadowy Men are legends and that song is also an anthem for 90's kids up here as well. I have a few of their records. I also have a cover of one of their songs started! Likely will never see the light of day becasue I am genuinely awful but maybe. who knows.
Ha thanks. I did love Kids in the Hall back in the 90s. I watched it all the time on Comedy Central. That's how I learned about Shadowy Men. I remember I really loved that theme song and had to do a lot of digging to find out who it was. Shit wasn't so easy back then.
stratmonkee wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:09 pm Thats great! Fantastic tones and playing (as usual). And man, couple of beauties there as far as guitars go...A Moserite Bass???? Holy crap thats awesome...that neck looks slinky :>)
Love it!
Thanks man. Yeah it's a real deal 1966 Mosrite bass. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

That sounds AMAZING...mind you most amps n guitars sound amazing when you use them.
That bass is ACE.
Cool tune.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, tones of the lead and the bass on this sound great. Might be my surfer's ear in these headphones, but I can barely hear the rhythm guitars in this - After the intro when they first come in they really start to disappear.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:38 pm That sounds AMAZING...mind you most amps n guitars sound amazing when you use them.
That bass is ACE.
Cool tune.
JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:30 am Yeah, tones of the lead and the bass on this sound great. Might be my surfer's ear in these headphones, but I can barely hear the rhythm guitars in this - After the intro when they first come in they really start to disappear.
Thanks fellas. :cheers1:

The rhythm guitars are intentionally fairly subtle. The rhythms are an acoustic guitar on the original recording, and I sure as fuck wasn't gonna do that, so I just did electric and a little subdued. I could have just left them out. It's more about the lead melody and bass.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Sounds pretty good.

You can really hear that spring on the down portion!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, fair enough. Sounds great anyway.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm Sounds pretty good.

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:55 pm Ah, fair enough. Sounds great anyway.
Thanks fellas. It's just a quickie to work out the amp. I like it. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:46 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:02 pm Sounds pretty good.

JD01 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:55 pm Ah, fair enough. Sounds great anyway.
Thanks fellas. It's just a quickie to work out the amp. I like it. :coolstorybro:
I'm really happy you like the amp and it's getting used.
And it's in the best shape it's been in for many years so I'm stoked about the whole thing.
And getting to hear it is super cool!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Great tones and performance @Greg_L

Fun tune as well, never heard it before.

It would go well in Better Call Saul lol
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:52 am I'm really happy you like the amp and it's getting used.
And it's in the best shape it's been in for many years so I'm stoked about the whole thing.
Yeah it's been great. And such a generous pile of gifts. I can't thank you enough. :illdrinktothat:
musicturtle wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:50 am Great tones and performance @Greg_L

Fun tune as well, never heard it before.

It would go well in Better Call Saul lol
Haha thanks dude. It does kind of sound Saul-ish. The song is the theme for "Kids in the Hall" which was/is a 90s Canadian sketch comedy show that IMO is very funny.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:50 am
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:52 am I'm really happy you like the amp and it's getting used.
Yeah it's been great. And such a generous pile of gifts. I can't thank you enough. :illdrinktothat:
well ...... I had not meant for them to be huge bundles of work for ya' but ce' la' vie
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 4:42 pm well ...... I had not meant for them to be huge bundles of work for ya' but ce' la' vie
Nah these things are fun, and educational.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

That bass tone is spot on! I always liked that song (and the show too). That show was a staple of early-mid 90s HBO. And the Amazon Prime reboot was surprisingly good too.

I never heard more than the 30 seconds of the song from the KItH intro, so it was interesting to hear the rest of it. That Gretsch has a searing bite to it that I didn't expect from that guitar. Sounds great!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:57 pm That bass tone is spot on! I always liked that song (and the show too). That show was a staple of early-mid 90s HBO. And the Amazon Prime reboot was surprisingly good too.

I never heard more than the 30 seconds of the song from the KItH intro, so it was interesting to hear the rest of it. That Gretsch has a searing bite to it that I didn't expect from that guitar. Sounds great!
Thanks Tad. :coolstorybro:

The band that wrote the song is called Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. They're a Canadian instrumental project that insists they aren't surf even though their music sounds very much like surf instrumentals. They're really good and have a pretty nice catalog.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 10:15 am
Tadpui wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:57 pm That bass tone is spot on! I always liked that song (and the show too). That show was a staple of early-mid 90s HBO. And the Amazon Prime reboot was surprisingly good too.

Thanks Tad. :coolstorybro:

The band that wrote the song is called Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. They're a Canadian instrumental project that insists they aren't surf even though their music sounds very much like surf instrumentals. They're really good and have a pretty nice catalog.
I once heard a rumor thru mutual friends of friends in that "instrumental scene" they wanted ot avoid the "surf band" tag to avoid being called posers... :lollers2: :lollers2:

Whatever they are they do it very well.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:31 pm

I once heard a rumor thru mutual friends of friends in that "instrumental scene" they wanted ot avoid the "surf band" tag to avoid being called posers... :lollers2: :lollers2:

Whatever they are they do it very well.
Rebel Yell