Reverb Pedal

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Reverb Pedal

Post by JD01 »

I've decided I hate my reverb pedal.
I record all my guitars dry and they gain a little bit of natural reverb from my amp being up nice and loud in my little room.

However, I often play and draft things on headphones in 0W mode on the amp. What I'd like is a nice room reverb that I can stick in the loop which just gives me a bit of a sense of space. Dunno if you've ever played through a emulated out with headphones, but its completely dry. No room at all so it just feels and sounds a bit weird.

So, rather than me just going to Thomann/Anderton's websites and browsing through the million reverb pedals - can someone recommend one.
JD01

Re: Reverb Pedal

Post by JD01 »

This is annoying me so I've done a bit of research this morning. I don't want anything fancy with a million options on it, that will just annoy me. What I've found though is that pretty much all of them seem to want to stick something weird in a pedal to make them unique so much so that hardly anyone just does a basic reverb with a couple of knobs on it to dial it in.

But there's these two basic reverbs by JHS, just called Reverb and Hall Reverb. They're reasonably priced and appear to do what they say on the tin.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

On Pedal Reviews - I've found a review channel that I quite like.
No talking to the camera and being a YouTube personality. Plays dry, then turns the pedal on, keeping it in shot so you can see what he's doing.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I'm of no help at all. I don't have a reverb pedal & don't use the reverbs in the multi boxes I have.
Sorry.
The review vid isn't too shabby!
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Don't you have the HOF? That's a good reverb pedal.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am Don't you have the HOF? That's a good reverb pedal.
I do and I don't like it.
I can't find a TonePrint that I like - there's just so many of them to go through!
Most of them seem to be reverb as a special effect as opposed to just a bit of room.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:33 am Don't you have the HOF? That's a good reverb pedal.
yeah and it has toneprint so you could go find a verb you like and load it into the pedal .... I just use a USB cable ... screw that app or thru your pickup stuff.
And though I've never looked there simply has to be some simple room verbs in there
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:38 am
I do and I don't like it.
I can't find a TonePrint that I like - there's just so many of them to go through!
Most of them seem to be reverb as a special effect as opposed to just a bit of room.
Ah you got the stupid toneprint version. Get a normal one and be done with it. They're good.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:47 am This is annoying me so I've done a bit of research this morning. I don't want anything fancy with a million options on it, that will just annoy me. What I've found though is that pretty much all of them seem to want to stick something weird in a pedal to make them unique so much so that hardly anyone just does a basic reverb with a couple of knobs on it to dial it in.

But there's these two basic reverbs by JHS, just called Reverb and Hall Reverb. They're reasonably priced and appear to do what they say on the tin.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept ... -tatty-box

I have one of these and it serves it purpose. The Flerb setting is pointless and i've no idea who could make any use out of that but the spring and hall features are 10/10

Food for thought.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I have a HoF mini.
I did have a decent reverb for a while. Can't remember which one it was. Decided to mess about with it and have a browse and now I have no idea where it was to start with!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:45 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:47 am This is annoying me so I've done a bit of research this morning. I don't want anything fancy with a million options on it, that will just annoy me. What I've found though is that pretty much all of them seem to want to stick something weird in a pedal to make them unique so much so that hardly anyone just does a basic reverb with a couple of knobs on it to dial it in.

I have one of these and it serves it purpose. The Flerb setting is pointless and i've no idea who could make any use out of that but the spring and hall features are 10/10

Food for thought.
Cheers, Shan. You play "silent" these days too don't you? So you know how a bit of nice realistic verb is handy!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:47 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:45 am

Food for thought.
Cheers, Shan. You play "silent" these days too don't you? So you know how a bit of nice realistic verb is handy!
When i get a moment i either play using Amplitube 4 or 5 thru headphones or i'll play my silly little desktop Blackstar Practice amp. Amplitube has shitloads of amps with reverb so it's a non issue. But when i play the desktop amp if what i am vibing with calls for reverb i will click that little pedal on and away i go. It's more than adequate for that.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:54 am But when i play the desktop amp if what i am vibing with calls for reverb i will click that little pedal on and away i go. It's more than adequate for that.
Great, I'll probably either get this one you recommend or the JHS Hall Reverb. I just play through my H&K silently.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:45 am Yeah, I have a HoF mini.
gotcha .... I thought you had a regular HOF .... that mini seems pretty limited to me
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

If you don't like the tone print stuff and you want a really good version of a Fender reverb, look at the Strymon Flint. Really great reverbs similar to the classic Fender amps and a tremelo pedal as well, also similar to their classic amps.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:19 pm If you don't like the tone print stuff and you want a really good version of a Fender reverb, look at the Strymon Flint. Really great reverbs similar to the classic Fender amps and a tremelo pedal as well, also similar to their classic amps.
Those are good. There's also no way JD will spend that much. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bill L wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:19 pm If you don't like the tone print stuff and you want a really good version of a Fender reverb, look at the Strymon Flint. Really great reverbs similar to the classic Fender amps and a tremelo pedal as well, also similar to their classic amps.
When I consider that I want a reverb and something that does a bit of wibbly wobbly it doesn't actually seem all that expensive... but @Greg_L is right, the idea of spending 350 quid on a pedal seems insane to me.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

However, there's one on eBay local(ish) to me and I just offered 200 quid for it.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Another thread I'm extremely late on, so chances are you've solved your reverb problem. But I get the sense from your OP that we are of the same mind on guitar reverb, which is we like it basic. I have the JHS Reverb pedal, and it's perfect. I don't use reverb when I record, I add it while mixing. But I needed a simple reverb for when I'm just playing without recording, or in the event that I ever play electric guitar live again. I don't do crazy things with reverb, that's what my tape delay is for. All I want from reverb is a little room sound. The JHS Reverb is perfect for my needs, and yours too from the sound of it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:53 am Another thread I'm extremely late on, so chances are you've solved your reverb problem. But I get the sense from your OP that we are of the same mind on guitar reverb, which is we like it basic. I have the JHS Reverb pedal, and it's perfect. I don't use reverb when I record, I add it while mixing. But I needed a simple reverb for when I'm just playing without recording, or in the event that I ever play electric guitar live again. I don't do crazy things with reverb, that's what my tape delay is for. All I want from reverb is a little room sound. The JHS Reverb is perfect for my needs, and yours too from the sound of it.
Awesome. Cheers. I hadn't actually sorted this yet. I bought a new guitar instead so I'm skint. Haven't finished paying for the guitar yet. I've spent the last month trying to sell 3 guitars to pay for it!