Park Attack

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Park Attack

Post by rayc »

New idea came to me yesterday.
I blocked it out with BIAB yesterday and replaced the Box guitars n bass, but not the place holder solo, today. It's my KnockHoff bass so I'll replace it almost certainly.
Marshall amp, Epiphone Sheraton II for the noise, Squire for the cleaner and a Three Threes acoustic, (57 at the hole & me strumming at about the 10th fret.)
Lots of the same chords, still in A but I've allowed some chords to stretch out for a bit.
parkattack.mp3
I based this on a very famous baroque pop song.

Tweaked based on vHS & Manslick...

I know it's long and probably boring but it is, for me, quite fun to play along to. The changes/
lifts I borrowed make it so I suspect.

Tweaks based on MMM PLUS the fact that my bass had one string a bit sharp so I've fixed that for the moment.

Brightened things, I think, with some EQ and the addition of 12 string highlights:

This mix has the bass raised and the EQ of the guitars removed...
parkattack1204.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Tue May 09, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
Manslick

Re: Park Attack

Post by Manslick »

The thing I like best about this is the organ sound. It has a nice snarl to it. The rhythm guitar is a little bit too loud. Maybe some build up in the mud range around 300 Hz
Louisville KY
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

This one feels a little darker than normal. Are you getting some build up in the low mids or something?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Good ears gents,
I actually added some low mids via EQ as, to my ears, it was a bit thin.
I'll removed what's been added and have a listen.
Thanks.
Cheers
rayc
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I love that organ sound.

I think the bass is too loud relative to the guitars. The guitars are having trouble coming through. They're small compared to the other stuff. Guitars could probably be a little brighter too.

Drums sound OK. The cymbals are kind of dominating the rest of the kit. Tough to hear the kick, but if you turn the bass down, it'll probably sit pretty well. I thought I heard some phaseyness in the ride cymbal, but on closer listen, I didn't hear it. Not sure if someone else will.
rayc

Post by rayc »

A slight remix with the observations of vHS & Manslick.
I'll get to your obs later today MMM.
The organ sound is from BIAB, I forget the fellow's name. It's great lots of baps n burps. I'm pleased I found it.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Huh. The second mix is better, but the third one got really dark again.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

I agree that the 2nd mix is the best. The guitars are brightest there. In that mix, I think the guitars could still come up a db and the bass could come down a db. I think it might be pretty good sounding at the point.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I don't know how that happened..I did drop some guitars from the 1st verse - perhaps they held the magic.
I've added some high end EQ as well as some 12 string bits to "lift" it.
Let me know if this is an improvement please.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Honestly, I think a lot of it came from turning the bass down. The first two mixes had the loud bass that sort of forced everything else out of that space. With less bass guitar in that range, the organ and guitar's low ends are more prominent and less clean.

4 is an improvement, but that's mostly in the high-high end brightness.
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:33 am Honestly, I think a lot of it came from turning the bass down. The first two mixes had the loud bass that sort of forced everything else out of that space. With less bass guitar in that range, the organ and guitar's low ends are more prominent and less clean.

4 is an improvement, but that's mostly in the high-high end brightness.
Ah, I thought it was the bass reduction but being the bassist I didn't trust my assessment.
Thanks for clarifying that vHS. I shall amend.
New mix with bass level restored and the high end EQ on the guitars removed.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, I like the slightly louder bass.
TripleM

Post by TripleM »

This might come down to what the mix will sound like with a vocal. But right now I like mix #4 the best. I like the brighter guitars (but who knows if a vocal would sit well in that mix). On mix #4 I'd still like a lighter low end. You could turn the bass down a db.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

It's definitely a dark mix, even the one with the brightened EQ on it. It seems to get a little less dark as it goes along, or maybe my ears are just adjusting.

I like the vibe and the groove of this one. The organ is a nice touch. This'll be an interesting foundation to build on. There are a lot of chord changes throughout the song, it gets a little hard to follow at times. I bet a vocal melody will help pin it down a little. Maybe a chorus/refrain could make use of a simpler chord progression to lend some impact to the overall feel? I dunno, just throwing darts.