Delay

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Delay

Post by JD01 »

I've got a Flashback2 and its quite nice... but its one of them things that seems to do a fairly good job at most things but isn't actually really good at anything. I played through an MXR Carbon Copy today, its totally different - just a great sound... but its also a lot of money for a simple pedal. Anyone know a genuinely good, but cheaper, clone?
Lt. Bob

Re: Delay

Post by Lt. Bob »

ya' know ..... I have the original green MXR delay the Carbon Copy is modeled after.
I guess I should try it again .... didn't like it much ..... delays were pretty short even at max
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I really need to know what the fuck people are hearing from delays that make them think "this one's good, this one isn't".

It either delays or it doesn't. I think most people just don't know how to work them.

Unless you're talking digital delays. They do kinda suck.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:29 am I really need to know what the fuck people are hearing from delays that make them think "this one's good, this one isn't".

It either delays or it doesn't. I think most people just don't know how to work them.

Yeah, the Flashback is all digital. You have a Carbon Copy don't you?
I had a Mooer Echolizer delay a few years ago and it was shit, sounded like I was in fishtank. But then it was really cheap.

I got the Flashback2 to replace it and its pretty good. For recording its really good, its clear and has loads of options. When I record with it and its in a mix I'm definitely not thinking about details of the tone of it, its absolutely fine - you can dial it in to do what's needed. When I'm just playing on my own though it doesn't make me feel good.

I also think I want a nice Reverb - again, I only use reverb when I'm playing on my own, I really don't like the Hall Of Fame. I'd just like a good reverb that gives me a sense of space that I don't get in my little dry room.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:29 am I really need to know what the fuck people are hearing from delays that make them think "this one's good, this one isn't".

There's 3 features that I've noticed in delays that seem to really matter
1. Does it delay long enough?
2. Can it feedback in entertaining ways?
3. How is the tone affected on each delay? For example, my current delay cuts a little bit more low-end on each delay and ends up getting downright metallic on higher feedback rates.

Of course, there's also fancy boutique delays with variable delay lengths, reverse features, etc.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:49 am For example, my current delay cuts a little bit more low-end on each delay and ends up getting downright metallic on higher feedback rates.
I think that's the "fishtanky" sound that my Mooer Echolizer had.

Time, number of repeats and loudness of repeats... I think that's what you're getting at.

One thing I do like about the Flashback is that it has a few repeat modes, so you get that dotted note thing if you want it. In reality I never use it though. I think that's part of the problem... I'm always thinking why should I spend 150 quid on a Carbon Copy that does one thing when I can spend 150 quid on a Flashback which has loads of options. Then I basically use none of the options and just try and make it sound like a Carbon Copy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am
I do have a Carbon Copy somewhere in a box. I have a Flashback out on the board right now. I use it sometimes for a quick rockabilly slapback before the reverb tank and that's all.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:59 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:47 am
I do have a Carbon Copy somewhere in a box. I have a Flashback out on the board right now. I use it sometimes for a quick rockabilly slapback before the reverb tank and that's all.
Don't think its on the standard Flashback, just the Flashback2. There's this weird setting called "Crystals" which you can use the expression pedal with and it goes mental. Its quite fun. Aside from that I tend to just use the analogue setting which I think is supposed to be a Carbon Copy.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

a echoplex sounding delay will have a bit of highs drop off at every repeat .... that's what tape does when you record a signal over and over ..... so if that's the sound you want, you need some sorta high freq damping.

And like all pedals the voicing can be sterile or add a bit of body to things.
That's that digital thing that some people don't like .... too pristine and sterile.

My old Akai Headrush sounds awesome .... my Boss RE 201 doesn't