Cogs

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
stratmonkee

Cogs

Post by stratmonkee »

Hey, been awhile, thought I would share a new tune I've been working on, I'm thinking the vocals are too "wet" as usual for me, I did want to try and have a delay on the last word in every verse somewhat on the background maybe panned to the left...not sure if that worked or not...
Listen to Cogs by stratmonkee on #SoundCloud
https://on.soundcloud.com/NLD21
JD01

Re: Cogs

Post by JD01 »

I don't really know how to comment on something like this... its so far removed from anything that I'd ever listen to.
One thing though, the hard panned vocal is just weird and doesn't fit in the mix at all, the instrumental sections work pretty well.
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

JD01 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:16 am I don't really know how to comment on something like this... its so far removed from anything that I'd ever listen to.
One thing though, the hard panned vocal is just weird and doesn't fit in the mix at all, the instrumental sections work pretty well.
Hey JD01, I figured this would be a bit weird of a listen. 1st mixdown of vocals so I will look at centering them, currently I "sang" them twice and panned them hard left and right respectively, maybe this does not work? Trying for a different kind of song/ music with this....
thanks for listening and the feedback, I appreciate it and will try a different approach to the vocals mix
JD01

Post by JD01 »

stratmonkee wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:35 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:16 am I don't really know how to comment on something like this... its so far removed from anything that I'd ever listen to.
Hey JD01, I figured this would be a bit weird of a listen. 1st mixdown of vocals so I will look at centering them, currently I "sang" them twice and panned them hard left and right respectively, maybe this does not work? Trying for a different kind of song/ music with this....
thanks for listening and the feedback, I appreciate it and will try a different approach to the vocals mix
Its cool to try unusual approaches, but this just isn't working for me as it is right now. You'll get there.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Vocals are fine to me. I could make out the lyrics no problem and the panning and delay just adds to the craziness of the whole song in a good way IMO. The whole thing is really ambitious and quite good for how non-standard it is. The performances are pretty tight. I really like how the guitars and bass are locked in with the drums even through all the weirdness and changes. The delays are timed nicely. You've done a very good job with the drum track. That's some strange patterns but it still sounds like something a human drummer would and could play. Honestly my only critique of any of it is the hi-hat bashing away in the left channel. It's a little too out there and monotonous. I'd center it more and drop down it's intensity a bit. The rest was really pretty damn good.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The thing I'm noticing with the vocals is that they don't seem quite level with each other relative to the rest of the mix. So the right one generally feels louder except at the tails of lines.
I use this technique all the time on BGVox all the time, and it works quite well for that. But having a centered lead vocal does help glue it.

I agree with Gerg on that high-hat. It's really dominating things

I like the guitar solo.
rayc

Post by rayc »

When the vocals are at rest it's a solid grinding machine locked into a groove.
I'm not too worried by the panning - I assumed a little disorientation was the aim.
Cheers
rayc
stratmonkee

Post by stratmonkee »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:41 am Vocals are fine to me. I could make out the lyrics no problem and the panning and delay just adds to the craziness of the whole song in a good way IMO. The whole thing is really ambitious and quite good for how non-standard it is. The performances are pretty tight. I really like how the guitars and bass are locked in with the drums even through all the weirdness and changes. The delays are timed nicely. You've done a very good job with the drum track. That's some strange patterns but it still sounds like something a human drummer would and could play. Honestly my only critique of any of it is the hi-hat bashing away in the left channel. It's a little too out there and monotonous. I'd center it more and drop down it's intensity a bit. The rest was really pretty damn good.
Thanks Greg, that is a weird drum pattern eh? Its from a odd time loop collection, these particular ones are in 6/8 (according to the file names). Im horrible at counting, I kinda just flow with the vibe of the groove I guess...it seemed to work on this. I did change up the drum track to get rid of that annoying hi hat bashing...will post a link to new mix at end of this reply. Thanks for listening and commenting!
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:47 am The thing I'm noticing with the vocals is that they don't seem quite level with each other relative to the rest of the mix. So the right one generally feels louder except at the tails of lines.
I use this technique all the time on BGVox all the time, and it works quite well for that. But having a centered lead vocal does help glue it.

I agree with Gerg on that high-hat. It's really dominating things

I like the guitar solo.
I tried to lower one of the lead vocal tracks so its hardly audible and did draw all the vocal tracks more into center. See what you think on my new mix. Killed that hi hat as well !
rayc wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:06 pm When the vocals are at rest it's a solid grinding machine locked into a groove.
I'm not too worried by the panning - I assumed a little disorientation was the aim.

Cool Ray, yeah didnt want this to sound to normal, not hard for me when I attempt a vocal song I guess :lollers: Hope the groove is still tight with my new drum track!

Here is a new mix with redone drum track to get rid of that annoying hi hat, and a different approach on the vocals.