Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

Post by JD01 »

Just a general recommendation or two really, I'm starting writing new stuff again (finally, I've been so tired lately) and I want something to add a bit of texture to my cleans. Thinking of some sort of tremolo/univibe/Leslie pedal, I already have a Boss Chorus, phaser and flanger.

Just any general recommendations for something you think sounds nice would be good.
Lt. Bob

Re: Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

Post by Lt. Bob »

well, I'm in love with my E.H. Lester G Deluxe ..... it's a must have on my board and on some stuff I'll just ride that speed control ramping between fast and slow
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:58 am well, I'm in love with my E.H. Lester G Deluxe ..... it's a must have on my board and on some stuff I'll just ride that speed control ramping between fast and slow
Cheers, Bob. Just what I'm after - an idea of something that might be fun to mess about with I'm playing in the evening and hopefully generate some new ideas.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

it's kinda pricey but it really does the Leslie thing very well .... gives you a LOT of variation and control ... plus it has a good comp and drive
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:46 am it's kinda pricey but it really does the Leslie thing very well .... gives you a LOT of variation and control ... plus it has a good comp and drive
Overdrive too? Cool.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I don't have a specific pedal recommendation but I'll just point out that my go to cleanish sound uses just a little bit of both vibrato and tremolo, to get that exact "gentle wibbly wobbly" sound. Something that can do both would be good. I do it via the Kemper, which allows you to stack numbers of virtual in built "pedals" before and after your "amp".

Alternatively, for mucking around purposes, use an amp sim and some VST effects - might at least allow you to find the sound your after before you go pedal hunting.

I like the sound of Lt's Lester thingy.
rayc

Post by rayc »

The ramp up/down of the Lester sounds brilliant...based on the emos I've seen/heard.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:00 pm The ramp up/down of the Lester sounds brilliant...based on the emos I've seen/heard.
that's the thing I love .... to me when B3 players use the Leslie, the magic is the in-between speeds where it's accelerating or slowing down and often organ players won't even stay on any one speed, constantly hitting that speed change lever keeping it in a constant state of speeding up or slowing down.
This does that well and that's why I have it to the bottom left of my board .... so I can just keep a foot on that switch.

I really, really like it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:28 pm
rayc wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:00 pm The ramp up/down of the Lester sounds brilliant...based on the emos I've seen/heard.
that's the thing I love .... to me when B3 players use the Leslie, the magic is the in-between speeds where it's accelerating or slowing down and often organ players won't even stay on any one speed, constantly hitting that speed change lever keeping it in a constant state of speeding up or slowing down.
This does that well and that's why I have it to the bottom left of my board .... so I can just keep a foot on that switch.

I really, really like it.
I've been having a listen to a few YouTubes this morning... seems like a really good pedal you've unearthed there Lt!

Just trying to work out how it works exactly. Haven't found a video that exactly explains how you get from 0 to SLOW and from FAST to SLOW etc. although I understand the tap to speed up and hold to brake. Possibly it's because I don't exactly know how a real Leslie speaker works - but I'd assume you can't just get from 0 to the SLOW speed instantaneously, and if you're wobbling along at FAST and you want to go back to SLOW and not 0, then holding the switch applies the brake, but what happens when you take your foot off the switch? :confused:

Can't quite work out the mechanics.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Well you don't hold the switch unless you want it to go to STOP.
Everything else is just quick taps.
And you can set how quickly you want it to change speeds .... it can be almost instantaneously or a long time ..... that's the Ramp knob .... sets how fast it changes between speeds.
But you just tap it if it's going fast to go to slow, or tap it to go from slow to fast .... or if you're halfway in-between speeds tap it to change direction even if it hasn't changed all the way.
If you keep tapping it, it'll never settle into a speed and just have that constant doppler thing going.

And if you do hold it to brake to a stop, you just tap it to get from stopped back to whichever speed it was going when you braked to zero..
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Ok - that makes sense.

Hey @rayc - you should buy one... https://www.mannys.com.au/electro-harmo ... aker-pedal - then when you get bored with it, I'll take it off your hands for, say, $300... :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:02 pm Ok - that makes sense.
Hey @rayc - you should buy one... https://www.mannys.com.au/electro-harmo ... aker-pedal - then when you get bored with it, I'll take it off your hands for, say, $300... :biggrin:
Yeah,
even more expensive than the Mel9!
I actually used the Mel yesterday. It gets used about once a month. On this occasion I used the mel .wav files I have and then added some Mel 9 to provide a little more movement.
I have a little VST that does the rotary ramp up n down thing in automation. It's not perfect but for 0$ it's value for money.
Last thing I bought was a signal splitter - for bass recording - why a cheap splitter rather than the DI box I have? It's battery operated and that means less of the ubiquitous RFI/MFI in this house.
One day I'm going to get Lt. Bob to use his Leslie & B9 pedals for a cool solo for me.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:32 pm I don't have a specific pedal recommendation but I'll just point out that my go to cleanish sound uses just a little bit of both vibrato and tremolo, to get that exact "gentle wibbly wobbly" sound. Something that can do both would be good. I do it via the Kemper, which allows you to stack numbers of virtual in built "pedals" before and after your "amp".

Alternatively, for mucking around purposes, use an amp sim and some VST effects - might at least allow you to find the sound your after before you go pedal hunting.

I like the sound of Lt's Lester thingy.
I might do that to check, but I find using vst effects really annoying.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Holy CRAP! 600 bucks!

Fuck you aussies get screwed a lot .......... and not the good kind

For that kind of money .... I dunno .... it's a killer pedal but still ..........
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

How much does a TC Electronics Plethora X3 cost locally? You would have access to their whole library of tone prints for all of their modulation effects. For studio use, it's like buying hundreds of boutique pedals for, in the US, $400.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bill L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm How much does a TC Electronics Plethora X3 cost locally? You would have access to their whole library of tone prints for all of their modulation effects. For studio use, it's like buying hundreds of boutique pedals for, in the US, $400.
$699 over here...
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:10 pm
Bill L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:07 pm How much does a TC Electronics Plethora X3 cost locally? You would have access to their whole library of tone prints for all of their modulation effects. For studio use, it's like buying hundreds of boutique pedals for, in the US, $400.
$699 over here...
If you're into reverbs, delays, tremolos, vibratos, univibes, chorus, flangers, phasers, harmonizers, pitch shifters, etc. it's all of them in one pedal.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers Bill, I'll take a look... although I do find toneprint a bit irritating
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I just tried a pedal by Fender called a Pinwheel
https://astrings.co.uk/products/fender- ... 9def&_ss=r
It was really good, a few settings on it that I just couldn't quite work out just from playing and knob twiddling, but it had some really good sounds in it.

Apparently its a Leslie pedal, but I think its a sort of combined Leslie and Tremolo. Cool anyway.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:35 am I just tried a pedal by Fender called a Pinwheel
https://astrings.co.uk/products/fender- ... 9def&_ss=r
It was really good, a few settings on it that I just couldn't quite work out just from playing and knob twiddling, but it had some really good sounds in it.

Apparently its a Leslie pedal, but I think its a sort of combined Leslie and Tremolo. Cool anyway.
all those new Fender pedals get really good reviews