Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: Gentle Wibbly Wobbly

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:16 pm
JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:01 pm Just picked up a Pinwheel on eBay for £110.
very curious about this ..... it's a pretty pedal.
I don't need two leslies but I might have gotten this instead of the E.H. Lester had it been around.
I'd have probably got the EH Lester if it was the one I tried in a shop recently.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:23 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:16 pm very curious about this ..... it's a pretty pedal.
I don't need two leslies but I might have gotten this instead of the E.H. Lester had it been around.
I'd have probably got the EH Lester if it was the one I tried in a shop recently.
it is very good ...... I wanted close to a Leslie .... not sorta leslie-like .... doesn't really do anything else although you can color the leslie a bit
JD01

Post by JD01 »

So... the Pinwheel. Had an initial fiddle with it for half an hour this morning. Actually not that impressed.

1) the LED is way to fucking bright. You can't see the labels on the knobs when you're looking at it!
2) it's very tremoloish which is fine. And you have the two different speeds which is cool. But, cos its not a tremolo you have no depth control. So when it's on slow, it ducks out too far and there's not much you can do about it.
3) there's not much difference between the modes
4) the drive is unnecessary and revolting.
5) it just feels really digitally, like I was playing through a sim.
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Played with it more this afternoon, sounds better with the Mustang or Crimson with the humbuckers split.

Still unsure of whether I'll keep it though.
rayc

Post by rayc »

If you need a specific guitar to make it sound just okay then send it back. Your review is underwhelming and I wouldn't keep a box of cereal that I felt that way about.Well, actually I'd eat the cereal as punishment but it's a lot less moolah & much less a paper weight than a useless pedal.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:20 pm If you need a specific guitar to make it sound just okay then send it back. Your review is underwhelming and I wouldn't keep a box of cereal that I felt that way about.Well, actually I'd eat the cereal as punishment but it's a lot less moolah & much less a paper weight than a useless pedal.
I wouldn't call it entirely useless. I often find that certain things work well with some guitars and not with others.
I quite like the effect it has, but its just quite limited and the intensity of the effect makes it quite niche.

Being able to switch between fast and slow mode is quite cool so you can set it up for two different things.

The drive control just doesn't sound good... in fact, it sounds bad. I honestly can't imagine how they'd have decided that it was a good idea when they were designing the pedal. For what I (or probably any guitarist) wants the "ramp" effect is pretty pointless - I can see how it would work OK with a keyboard and expression pedal if you were pretending that you actually had a real Leslie.

The level seems pointless too, it seems to be at unity when maxed out, so I'll just leave it there. Again, maybe this would be handy if you were a keyboard player for some reason. I don't get the point of the touch sensitivity - if you dig in, the pedal speeds up. With the sensitivity turned right down anything but the absolute gentlest touch would speed it up on my Les Paul. It does have a switch to turn the touch sensitivity off which I've done.

I'm gonna keep it for a while, 'cos it does do a sound that I like, but I'm also going to keep an eye out for something simpler which is exclusively aimed at guitarists. If if just had the speed controls for the fast and slow modes but then an effect intensity control it would actually be a pretty good pedal. Its just got a lot of, for me, pointless shit on it.

Then there's that weird digitalness which I'm not sure how to explain.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Anyway, here's some wibbly wobbly sounds

Starting slow, then switch to fast, I also stab a couple of chords a little harder and you can see the overdrive in the pedal come in.
Then I start messing about with, other stuff, overdrive pedal, then changing to my crunch channel.
Wibbly.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Reckon you might like the Strymon Lex more, although it'll be heaps expensive, I guess. Seems less fiddly than your standard Strymon, just knobs - doesn't have a ramp knob but a three position switch.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well... just flogged the Pinwheel for 30 quid more than I got it for. I'll call that a minor win :)
paulman

Post by paulman »

Hey @JD01, I'm just now seeing this thread, but if you're interested in a vibe sound I've got an EH Good Vibes pedal that I don't use. It's a great pedal, I just have another one that is the Cadillac of vibe pedals (Effectrode Tube Vibe), so I don't need this one anymore. It's in perfect shape. Check out some videos and see if it interests you. If so, you can have mine for the cost of shipping.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:42 am Hey @JD01, I'm just now seeing this thread, but if you're interested in a vibe sound I've got an EH Good Vibes pedal that I don't use. It's a great pedal, I just have another one that is the Cadillac of vibe pedals (Effectrode Tube Vibe), so I don't need this one anymore. It's in perfect shape. Check out some videos and see if it interests you. If so, you can have mine for the cost of shipping.
Really, awesome. I'll look it up now.
That's a really cool sounding pedal. Might be prohibitive to send it from the USA to Wales though!
paulman

Post by paulman »

Just on a quick search, I'm seeing $11.99 with FedEx. I don't know if there might be extra for customs. Looks like there are different categories, many of which aren't charged for by customs. I just don't know what category a guitar pedal falls under.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:43 am Just on a quick search, I'm seeing $11.99 with FedEx. I don't know if there might be extra for customs. Looks like there are different categories, many of which aren't charged for by customs. I just don't know what category a guitar pedal falls under.
Cool, if you really want to just get rid of it, send me your details and I'll transfer you some cash with a few extra sheckles for your trouble.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Ok, if you want to message me your address I'll see exactly what the shipping will entail. It'll be this weekend before I'm able to go to a FedEx and find out, as I'm in the process of swapping out the radiator in our Jeep and my girlfriend is at work with the only working car. We'll worry about money after I get it sent and we know there aren't any surprise charges.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:34 am Ok, if you want to message me your address I'll see exactly what the shipping will entail. It'll be this weekend before I'm able to go to a FedEx and find out, as I'm in the process of swapping out the radiator in our Jeep and my girlfriend is at work with the only working car. We'll worry about money after I get it sent and we know there aren't any surprise charges.
Cool.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

paulman wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:34 am Ok, if you want to message me your address
The third house on the left as you enter Wales
Next to the sheep farm
P.O. Box 69
Limeyville.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin